NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

13 minutes ago, Reciever said:

The brown never really bothered me but I don't build around aesthetics, so I don't tend to see anything in the case when I have the choice. With today's glass everything I guess the issue is more pronounced. 

Same here, but I do prefer just plain black, everything else being equal. I realise Noctua brown is a thing for some people, but thankfully both their the Chroma.X and iPPC fans are black or predominantly black.

That said, I did enable ARGB, just the default breathing rainbow, on my new AIO pump, and it does look pleasantly mesmerising through the side panel mesh lol

• Thumb Up 2

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

1 hour ago, Reciever said:

The brown never really bothered me but I don't build around aesthetics, so I don't tend to see anything in the case when I have the choice. With today's glass everything I guess the issue is more pronounced. 

I guess I am partial to Noctua. The company's color scheme screams to me product quality over aesthetics. I have over two dozen different Noctua fans, of various speeds and sizes, NONE have failed. Some of the fans have been running for over four years, nonstop 24/7 (with occasional cleanings). With that said, I won't spend an extra $400+ for an official Noctua branded GPU. 

• Like 2

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

10 hours ago, Rage Set said:

I guess I partial to Noctua. Their company's color scheme screams to me product quality over aesthetics. I have over two dozen different Noctua fans, of various speeds and sizes, NONE have failed. Some of the fans have been running for over four years, nonstop 24/7 (with occasional cleanings). With that said, I won't spend an extra $400+ for an official Noctua branded GPU. 

I am partial to Noctua but it has to be said that Phanteks T30 beat even IPPC hands down on performance while being significantly less noisy (if the extra 5mm of width is workable). I hope Noctua makes a 30mm fan at some point (in black!). 

• Thumb Up 2

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

I think a lot of us choose function over form. But, I am a fan of avoiding ugly  if all things are equal. And, that is also subjective and "in the eye of the beholder" so to speak. I have always thought they were ugly. I have some because they work well, but they don't look good, LOL. I bought them because I did not want to pay extra for the nice looking black ones. So, that's on me for choosing ugly to save a few bucks.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

3 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Same here, but I do prefer just plain black, everything else being equal. I realise Noctua brown is a thing for some people, but thankfully both their the Chroma.X and iPPC fans are black or predominantly black.

That said, I did enable ARGB, just the default breathing rainbow, on my new AIO pump, and it does look pleasantly mesmerising through the side panel mesh lol

I dont have much of the RGB stuff's. Just the LED from the Asus board I bought from @Mr. Fox. I didnt make any changes to it so perhaps the Fox had it set to Red? Or perhaps I left the PC alone for some time and that was the default scheme annnnnd oh, the EVGA 3090 with its RGB accent. When I was mining during the winter I cousin liked it, she treated it as a night light lol.

3 hours ago, Rage Set said:

I guess I am partial to Noctua. The company's color scheme screams to me product quality over aesthetics. I have over two dozen different Noctua fans, of various speeds and sizes, NONE have failed. Some of the fans have been running for over four years, nonstop 24/7 (with occasional cleanings). With that said, I won't spend an extra $400+ for an official Noctua branded GPU. 

I've always been too cheap on case fans which leads to bad purchases which means I spend more money. That being said this time around I have some Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm fans which have been running more or less non stop for almost 4 years now?

This is mostly because I dont have a case, so case fans arent very needed lol, that being said I do have a number of those basic Arctic Cooling 140mm fans just for moving air. I also have some other lesser quality fans which I experiment with from time to time. The next time I experiment with fans, I have been leaning towards looking at Noctua as they have some interesting products. That being said, not buying that Asus card. Could just take the fans off another card and achieve the same effect with 2 fans.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I think a lot of us choose function over form. But, I am a fan of avoiding ugly  if all things are equal. And, that is also subjective and "in the eye of the beholder" so to speak. I have always thought they were ugly. I have some because they work well, but they don't look good, LOL. I bought them because I did not want to pay extra for the nice looking black ones. So, that's on me for choosing ugly to save a few bucks.

Well of course, its your money after all! It was probably a good decision for them to start offering Black fans. I remember seeing people repainting fans to match their cases about a decade ago.

• Thumb Up 4

No ugly brown fans here. Just plain black beauty. Only the greeen MB PCB from Dell destroy some of the nice black look🙂

Cable management right from bro @electrosoft book. Can't be done  easier than this. No need for a modern backside chamber for the cables. You just have to show your gears😎 So this is not any different than that you show of your new fancy modern box with all the bling bling aRGB lighs and show from fans, cooler head and cables. And Yup, this comes with real black fans. Dell use same old fashion fans and cooling even for their computers in 2023. So this has to be modern and classic.

image.thumb.png.84bdce554ea611f97d9e4fde2e6701b0.png

I enjoy a lot of the old. Sometimes more fun thinkering with the older than the new fancy expensive and modern. The best of all... You can run Win 7 on the old. Can't beat unisex systems bro @Mr. Fox🙂 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I have to have a little color, so I swapped the plain black Lianli case fans for some 140mm rgb Phanteks. They move a good amount of air and look nice as well. Not a big fan of the "breathing" unicorn vomit, but just a steady single color.

• Thumb Up 3

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

Does anyone have i9 13900K/KS + RTX 4080 that can run a stock timespy and firestrike run? Or anyone got a link to one that is for sure a stock run with said hardware?

Also it looks like newer Win11 build gets lower scores than older builds/win 10? is that true?

Alienware m18             : Intel Core i9 13900HX                  | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090    | K1675 | 2x1TB SSDs 

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 

More Laps: M14x (555m) | M14xR2 (650m) | M15x (980m) | M17xR3 (880m) | M18xR1 (880m SLI) | 18 R1 (RTX 3000)

DT: Aurora R4 (i9 10980XE/RTX 4070) | Area-51 R2 (22-Core Xeon/2x Titan V) | SR-2 [2x6-Core/3x980Ti] | Mac Studio

CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

I have a 13900KS to test out against my 13900K. It has some big shoes to fill. It’s not my chip. But it will fun seeing how it compares. I just finished delidding it. 

Rockit tool and original iIHS? 

-- Max Tegmark

2 hours ago, ssj92 said:

Does anyone have i9 13900K/KS + RTX 4080 that can run a stock timespy and firestrike run? Or anyone got a link to one that is for sure a stock run with said hardware?

Also it looks like newer Win11 build gets lower scores than older builds/win 10? is that true?

Everything is wrong with the new and shiny from Redmond. One of many 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-update-slows-ssd-storage

https://www.techspot.com/news/97973-latest-windows-11-update-causing-slows-ssds-wifi.html

For 4080 and 13900K see if you can find some reviews. They normally post both stock and oc’d performance. And 4080 ain’t so popular so better look on reviews. 

• Thumb Up 4

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Good news... Windows 7 works with 6900 XT in CSM mode on the work computer.

I wish I knew why it does not work on the other system. But, it is in the system it would be in if I decide to buy it from Brother @Rage Setso that's good.

ZOt5rXU.jpg

yjKzfIJ.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Good news... Windows 7 works with 6900XT in CSM mode on the work computer.

I wish I knew why it does not work on the other system. But, it is in the system it would be in if I decide to buy it from Brother @Rage Setso that's good.

ZOt5rXU.jpg

yjKzfIJ.jpg

Thats nice👍 All systems I have seen with 6900XT and Win 7 is with ASUS boards. Sad EVGA haven't fixed this. But this is not the only problem with the best board from EVGA. They even struggle have compatibility with some 4090 graphics cards. And same for the Z790 as with the older Z690. 

It rubs me the wrong way when I hear something like this with boards solely meant for OC'ing.

• Thumb Up 3

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Thats nice👍 All systems I have seen with 6900XT and Win 7 is with ASUS boards. Sad EVGA haven't fixed this. But this is not the only problem with the best board from EVGA. They even struggle have compatibility with some 4090 graphics cards. And same for the Z790 as with the older Z690. 

It rubs me the wrong way when I hear something like this with boards solely meant for OC'ing.

It is probably one of the newer BIOS updates. I've had no issues with NVIDIA GPUs, including the 4090 Suprim or Strix. In fact, I can run an NVIDIA GPU on Windows 7 in pure UEFI mode with adjustable bar support on the EVGA board. Can't do that on the ASUS. I have seen some that have issues, which is weird that some do and some do not. Most of the people with problems have the Classified mobo. I would never buy the Classified.

The 6900 XT not booting Windows 7 on the EVGA board has to be a conflict between the AMD vBIOS and system BIOS, maybe something with how ACPI is implemented. I still prefer EVGA because I hate living in a state of perpetual apprehension about when my ASUS motherboard is going to fail. Their QC is worse than ever. It was interesting that even JayzTwoCents is starting to avoid ASUS now because of reliability problems. He has always been an ASUS fanboy.

It may also be the fact that I have a KF CPU in the Strix mobo. There is a possibility the Intel iGPU is causing some kind of strange conflict with the 6900 XT. Maybe one day when I have nothing better to do I will put the 13900K in the Strix mobo and see if I have problems with Windows 7. The Strix supports Intel HD graphics. The EVGA Dark does not support integrated graphics.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

It is probably one of the newer BIOS updates. I've had no issues with NVIDIA GPUs, including the 4090 Suprim or Strix. In fact, I can run an NVIDIA GPU on Windows 7 in pure UEFI mode with adjustable bar support on the EVGA board. Can't do that on the ASUS. I have seen some that have issues, which is weird that some do and some do not. Most of the people with problems have the Classified mobo. I would never buy the Classified.

The 6900 XT not booting Windows 7 on the EVGA board has to be a conflict between the AMD vBIOS and system BIOS, maybe something with how ACPI is implemented. I still prefer EVGA because I hate living in a state of perpetual apprehension about when my ASUS motherboard is going to fail. Their QC is worse than ever. It was interesting that even JayzTwoCents is starting to avoid ASUS now because of reliability problems. He has always been an ASUS fanboy.

It may also be the fact that I have a KF CPU in the Strix mobo. There is a possibility the Intel iGPU is causing some kind of strange conflict with the 6900 XT. Maybe one day when I have nothing better to do I will put the 13900K in the Srix mobo and see if I have problems with Windows 7. The Strix support Intel HD graphics. The EVGA Dark does not support integrated graphics.

Yep, they all have their shares of problems or bugs even engineering flaws. But this shoudn't happpen 4 or 5 months after release of brand new graphics cards. They could put the blame on that they don't make graphics cards anymore but that would be too stupid from an MB manufacturer😎

Neither should a brand as etc EVGA go cheapo and lock you out from oc'ing with the cheapest voltage controller aviable in the market. Not the fun experience I had with my EVGA GTX 760. If I know this I would never ever bought that card. Even if I paid half the price.

And the bin quality for my 980 Kingpin is even worse than what you can find in the cheapest MSI card. Only saved by the unlocked XOC vbios and the better cooling. This is just sad.

Yep, this just show how the tech world works. If they can... They all will go cheapo and don't want put much work into their overpriced hardware. Shame on them. Even the best warranty on earth can't fix flawed design made with intent.

I hate it when the best tech companies sometimes offer HW on level with the worst from Dell. Thats bad, Very bad. And not good for the consumers. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Yep, they all have their shares of problems or bugs even engineering flaws. But this shoudn't happpen 4 or 5 months after release of brand new graphics cards. They could put the blame on that they don't make graphics cards anymore but that would be to stupid from a MB manufacturer😎

Neither should a brand as etc EVGA go cheapo and lock you out from oc'ing with the cheapest voltage controller aviable in the market. Not the fun experience I had with my EVGA GTX 760. If I know this I would never ever bought that card. Even if I paid half the price.

And the bin quality for my 980 Kingpin is even worse than what you can find in the cheapest MSI card. Only saved by the unlocked XOC vbios and the better cooling. This is just sad.

Yep, this just show how the tech world works. If they can... They all will go cheapo and don't want put much work into their overpriced hardware. Shame on them. Even the best warranty on earth can't fix flawed design made with intent.

I hate it when the best tech companies sometimes offer HW on level with the worst from Dell. Thats bad, Very bad. And not good for the consumers. 

I do not think we will ever see any of these companies fix problems that surface out of production on any end of life software or hardware. I can understand them not caring about an unsupported OS not functioning. I care, and so do some other customers, but I understand that none of the OEMs do, and I understand why they do not. They have to draw a line somewhere and end of support for the OS is the logical stopping point even though it is a better product than its crappy successors.

It is probably rare that an EVGA customer uses an AMD graphics card. I suspect they have no awareness of the problem. Even though it is unlikely they will address an issue with Windows 7, I will email them to make them aware of the problem. They can at least have a documented known issue.

Ultimately the problem is Micr$lop's fault. Had they not stopped supporting their best OS that is still preferred, loved and used by many millions of people, EVGA would have a duty to fix it. The Redmond Reprobates would be obliged to help them find and fix the issue, and so would AMD.

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

This 13900KS is getting re-sealed with a Supercool Gen 13 IHS. 

JqDJvGi.jpg

Let us know if the Gen 13 copper IHS is any different, and how. Does it fit the Thermalright CPU frame just like the stock IHS, and without having to grind down the left wing to the correct size?

• Thumb Up 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

I do not think we will ever see any of these companies fix problems that surface out of production on any end of life software or hardware. I can understand them not caring about an unsupported OS not functioning. I care, and so do some other customers, but I understand that none of the OEMs do, and I understand why they do not. They have to draw a line somewhere and end of support for the OS is the logical stopping point even though it is a better product than its crappy successors.

It is probably rare that an EVGA customer uses an AMD graphics card. I suspect they have no awareness of the problem. Even though it is unlikely they will address an issue with Windows 7, I will email them to make them aware of the problem. They can at least have a documented known issue.

Ultimately the problem is Micr$lop's fault. Had they not stopped supporting their best OS that is still preferred, loved and used by many millions of people, EVGA would have a duty to fix it. The Redmond Reprobates would be obliged to help them find and fix the issue, and so would AMD.

JqDJvGi.jpg

Let us know if the Gen 13 copper IHS is any different, and how. Does it fit the Thermalright CPU frame just like the stock IHS, and without having to grind down the left wing to the correct size?

It is bare die, it’s getting re-sealed with a Supercool Gen 13. As for the Rockitcool copper IHS, those do not fit Thermalright frames. I have a small box of them lol. 

This 13900KS is P-SP124

My 13900K is P-SP121

• Thumb Up 4

13900KF

24 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

It is bare die, it’s getting re-sealed with a Supercool Gen 13. As for the Rockitcool copper IHS, those do not fit Thermalright frames. I have a small box of them lol. 

This 13900KS is P-SP124

My 13900K is P-SP121

DOH! My brain saw Rockitcool even though you typed Supercool. My bad. Looking forward to seeing if your bizarre good silicon lottery luck surfaces again with the KS.

Speaking of luck... Looks like their luck was better than mine with the EKWB bare die. Maybe my CPU is just an inferno sample.

• Thumb Up 3

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

This 13900KS is getting re-sealed with a Supercool Gen 13 IHS. 

Tried to quickly google but no joy, e. g. no IHSes there. 

http://www.supercoolcomputer.com/en/category/8/cpu-water-block

Where did you get it from, and why that vs the rockit IHS? 

-- Max Tegmark

26 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

The Supercool "IHS" is actually the direct die waterblock jet plate, not an IHS. It takes the place of an IHS. It is made very similar to an IHS and is used by the Intel ILM to press the CPU into the socket.

• Thumb Up 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Good news... Windows 7 works with 6900 XT in CSM mode on the work computer.

ZOt5rXU.jpg

yjKzfIJ.jpg

Now that's peculiar. Often it is the opposite for me. My Zenith Extreme II Alpha hates most Linux distros...elements like sound not working and etc...but work completely fine on my X570 Dark.

• Thumb Up 3

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Been running a Supercool Gen13 on my P-SP121 13900K for a while now. It is the absolute best cooling you can ask for. Its direct die, it replaces the stock IHS with a jet plate with an acrylic top that screws directly on to the actual cpu.

I am mounting the exact same thing to the 13900KS P-SP124

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

13900KF

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

This 13900KS is P-SP124

My 13900K is P-SP121

Well, that's a good start. Not sure they have the same SP rating scale. What are the results like in comparison? How about the memory controller performance in comparison? Any news you can share yet?

3 hours ago, tps3443 said:

This 13900KS is P-SP124

My 13900K is P-SP121

I had this KS in my favorite basket a long time (the used market here home). But the $1,125 price tag wasn't very appealing. And I knew Intel would may make an 3rd binning of and make an Raptor lake refresh. But P-SP127 was quite good. If this was on the used market when I bought the 13900K last year I may have jumped on it, but not now so late in the Cpu cycle and close to a final refresh. 

image.png.3e003ce9392a68fbc1d0b667cbf33014.png

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

You need custom cooling.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1