NotebookTalk

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Papusan

On 7/21/2023 at 9:37 PM, Steerpike said:

I haven't seen any mention of this on the forum, but this was such an issue for so many. Looks like displaying seconds is back for the clock on the taskbar! 

How to show seconds in Taskbar clock on Windows 11 - Pureinfotech 

I just tried it, and it worked.  Then I turned it off because I have no use for it 🙂

do not use that either..

i asked myself who was the designer of notepad  . is it me only.? when trying to close the window you activate settings instead .?? i mean its just under it  everytime i want to close  a  txt file windows theres that option blocking the X close window...

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

Here are several options to make Win 11 looks better...

• Thumb Up 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

4 hours ago, Papusan said:

Here are several options to make Win 11 looks better...

I think everything looks fine, but I would love to get rid of the "recommended" area and just have more of my apps listed.  That's something we should be allowed to change. 

• Thumb Up 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

On 7/23/2023 at 11:59 AM, raptorddd said:

do not use that either..

i asked myself who was the designer of notepad  . is it me only.? when trying to close the window you activate settings instead .?? i mean its just under it  everytime i want to close  a  txt file windows theres that option blocking the X close window...

Not sure I understand; this is what I see at the top right corner of notepad: 

image.png.9cdaf2520d7f6151a47a6912d498bd72.png

Are you saying, in your case, that the 'settings' option (gear icon) is 'blocking' the 'x'?  They seem well separated to me. I honestly can't say I noticed that settings icon before but it's certainly never gotten in the way! 

• Thumb Up 2

15 hours ago, Steerpike said:

Are you saying, in your case, that the 'settings' option (gear icon) is 'blocking' the 'x'?  They seem well separated to me. I honestly can't say I noticed that settings icon before but it's certainly never gotten in the way! 

Mine's the same as yours. The setting "gear" is well enough away from the close icon. 

On 7/25/2023 at 9:59 AM, Steerpike said:

most of  the time id be on the lower part of the screen whenever i want to close  yes. i want to close and the gear icon activates and shows a pop up and block the X. every time  that happens to me.

it activates if you hover on it. 

my snipping tool isnt working. it closes.. thats why i didnt post a picture

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

4 hours ago, raptorddd said:

most of  the time id be on the lower part of the screen whenever i want to close  yes. i want to close and the gear icon activates and shows a pop up and block the X. every time  that happens to me.

it activates if you hover on it. 

my snipping tool isnt working. it closes.. thats why i didnt post a picture

Ah ... the icon isn't 'activating' as such, but - there is a 'tool tip' type pop-up (not sure of the current terminology) and it does prevent access to the item below it (the 'x').  I had to linger on it for quite a while, though, before it 'popped up' so it doesn't just pop up instantly and block the 'x', for me. I can easily move the mouse right over it without the popup occurring. 

image.png.175a78cb185f5c161e9c81c71486a8d9.png

Interesting that it does block the function below it! 

Are you on a 'touch screen', perhaps? 

Update - when I 'hover over' similar objects in, say, Chrome, or Excel, the tool tip pops up in an area that does NOT cover the 'x'. Here we see what happens in excel:

image.png.6587c4cfba97f87ac0b659b8b260c11f.png

Looks like you've hit on a minor bug there!  But I'd just move the mouse fast enough and it will zoom right past it. 

Update - looks like Snipping Tool itself has the same issue! 

image.png.a64352ca12cccaf1607dc574b7930b6c.png

I was going to suggest, to cure your 'snipping tool' problem, try running snipping tool from the start menu; you might need to do a 'first run' on it to clear some message or similar. 

• Thumb Up 1

Latest Windows 11 update breaks custom Start menu apps

Microsoft takes a hands-off approach to issues Windows 11 updates might cause with popular apps like StartAllBack...

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

17 hours ago, Steerpike said:

Ah ... the icon isn't 'activating' as such, but - there is a 'tool tip' type pop-up (not sure of the current terminology) and it does prevent access to the item below it (the 'x').  I had to linger on it for quite a while, though, before it 'popped up' so it doesn't just pop up instantly and block the 'x', for me. I can easily move the mouse right over it without the popup occurring. 

image.png.175a78cb185f5c161e9c81c71486a8d9.png

Interesting that it does block the function below it! 

Are you on a 'touch screen', perhaps? 

Update - when I 'hover over' similar objects in, say, Chrome, or Excel, the tool tip pops up in an area that does NOT cover the 'x'. Here we see what happens in excel:

image.png.6587c4cfba97f87ac0b659b8b260c11f.png

Looks like you've hit on a minor bug there!  But I'd just move the mouse fast enough and it will zoom right past it. 

Update - looks like Snipping Tool itself has the same issue! 

image.png.a64352ca12cccaf1607dc574b7930b6c.png

I was going to suggest, to cure your 'snipping tool' problem, try running snipping tool from the start menu; you might need to do a 'first run' on it to clear some message or similar. 

no touch screen. 

i am in a unsupported 2nd gen CPU though.

but today i try it and doesnt happened that often.. came to a conclusion.

the past week i had clean install w11 several times YES aboout 6-8 times

am not 100% sure but since i spent alot of time clean install and no GPU driver installed i chosed the lowest resolution it only shows 2 1080p  and 1024x720 something like that picked the lowest maybe that made the window wider and the pop up was more easy to get poped up. ( dont know the terminoly either)

ok  mostly i use 1360x760 or 720. and it doesnt happen as often as in lower resolution..

2. snipping tool issue... i think its driver related.. why.? because at clean install no GPU drivers ( haveintel  hd 3000 and nvidia quadro 2000m) when no drivers snipping tool works as soon as i install drivers some apps closes. ( have the latest drivers for both) snipping too closes..  terminal closes. store closes.. 

store i can fix . by going into nvidia control panel and change the preferred graphics wehn i pick intel hd 300 store works fine... but i want to do the same with nipping tool but it does not appear on nvidia control panel 

i have optimus enabled so it switches between gpu's

3. sometimes shorcuts from one side of the screen wont open its not clickable. and the other side does..

this is another issue i have faced. am sure is from my side. i do not like to run windows stock so i love to tweak to my likings.. NOTE the same tweaks works just fine on w10.

i face hangs or freezes... but only when i do clean install then i am in the process of reinstalling all my programs theres is a point when exactly big size files aroung 1-2 GB . when i install 2-3 apps in the 3rd app it freezes or hangs.. when i click on .exe i can see the loading circle and wont go away or it does but  if i click  restart or shutdown does nothing trying to open other stuff same it just hangs i can move the cursos but cant access anything else. sometimes then i see a message to end process buts does nothing and a grey screen and thne have to force shut down with power button

if i only install 2 programs big sixe then restart am ok. seems to only happen with big size progromas.

once clean installed and installed all programs NO hangs or freeze.. so mst be something.. but i dont know how to find out what is causing that.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

Recent Windows updates made video playback and capture impossible for some users

Hey, these are not-so-quality Windows updates... In short, the normal.
By Alfonso Maruccia, July 28

Facepalm: Microsoft recently released an optional "improvement" to its operating system through the Windows Update service. Unfortunately, the update made some users' life much harder than expected, especially for video playback and recording operations.
  • Thumb Up 1

found out that the problem i was facing its kind of old and hasnt been fixed. so its not on my end.

people are getting explorer hangs or freezes when unzipping big file zip's. 

so  basically correct me if am wrong.. running an .exe it is what is doing right.? it decompress and installs the files.? so wold be the samething right.? i only get them when installing big .exe files. .?

• Thumb Up 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

On 7/30/2023 at 4:04 PM, raptorddd said:

found out that the problem i was facing its kind of old and hasnt been fixed. so its not on my end.

people are getting explorer hangs or freezes when unzipping big file zip's. 

so  basically correct me if am wrong.. running an .exe it is what is doing right.? it decompress and installs the files.? so wold be the samething right.? i only get them when installing big .exe files. .?

I think we need more context. How 'big' is big?  Are you talking about an actual 'zip' file, or an installation package (eg, a .msi file) which I'm pretty sure uses zip compression behind the scenes? You mention 'decompress AND INSTALLS ...'. 

If you have read some articles about this, or other reports, it may be worth posting references to them if you think they are similar.  

Do you have some anti-virus in play? Anti-virus programs tend to go berserk when zip files are involved, and when programs are installed, so a compressed installation program could be causing a big hit. 

• Thumb Up 1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:30 PM, Steerpike said:

I think we need more context. How 'big' is big?  Are you talking about an actual 'zip' file, or an installation package (eg, a .msi file) which I'm pretty sure uses zip compression behind the scenes? You mention 'decompress AND INSTALLS ...'. 

If you have read some articles about this, or other reports, it may be worth posting references to them if you think they are similar.  

Do you have some anti-virus in play? Anti-virus programs tend to go berserk when zip files are involved, and when programs are installed, so a compressed installation program could be causing a big hit. 

someone in the web posted he had problems unzipping big files.  i beleive hes using beta updates. in my case its installing apps. like installing  trpoics heaven and valley benchmarks or any other program.  but before this i already install like 5 programs in the range of 5-30 mb. 

if i do  a restart then i can install 2-3 games 2-3 gb size and  stops responding if i try a 4th or at the 3rd game.

like i said it could be any .exe 

no i use windows defender. this does not happen on w10. i can install all doesnt stop responding.

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

4 hours ago, epguy3 said:

On the plus side, the fewer Windows installations the better.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

10 hours ago, epguy3 said:

pah, the community will always find a workaround, no worries on that front 😋

• Thumb Up 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Windows 11's August Update finally fixes SSD performance

August's Windows 11 Cumulative Update seems to have finally solved the slow SSD issues that have plagued users since last spring.

• Thumb Up 2

The usual after a new CU patch update. 

Windows 11 KB5029263 issues

Windows 11 KB5029263 is causing issues for some users

windowslatest.com- August 16, 2023

Windows 11 KB5029263 update is failing to install on many systems, and users have also alleged the security patch broke the new 'Microsoft Defender' app. KB5029263 is the August 2023 Patch Tuesday update,
  • Thumb Up 3

The big question remains... What junk will they replace it with🤔
  • Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Hi all

I am curious, is it worth making the jump to win11 at this point, or maybe stay with win10? I got a new laptop that came natively with W11 installed, but can I modify it enough practically over having to reinstall say win10? Last I recall, the enterprise edition worked the smoothest, but since I do not reinstall OS's, change drives and so forth often, I am out of touch with this scene. If there is some good TLDR thread I am not aware of, please refer me to it.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:09 AM, Kassowen said:

Hi all

I am curious, is it worth making the jump to win11 at this point, or maybe stay with win10? I got a new laptop that came natively with W11 installed, but can I modify it enough practically over having to reinstall say win10? Last I recall, the enterprise edition worked the smoothest, but since I do not reinstall OS's, change drives and so forth often, I am out of touch with this scene. If there is some good TLDR thread I am not aware of, please refer me to it.

I have no love for W11 - there is very little that it does that makes it any better than W10 - but, I got it pre-installed on a new laptop (LG Gram 17) and I didn't want to deal with a reinstall (locating all the drivers, etc which can be a challenge with consumer grade laptops) so I stuck with it.  At this point I see absolutely no difference in day-to-day usage. It has been rock-solid, without any blue-screens or lock ups, and no slowdowns. I started out loading a few of the 'Win10 emulators' to get back the old start menu, but I eventually gave up and - again - I'm happily using W11 'native' now.  Just about the only thing I've changed is I've restored 'full menus' in file manager, which was easy to do.  I also don't see any 'commercialization' that others in this thread moan about. 

• Thumb Up 2

35 minutes ago, Steerpike said:

I have no love for W11 - there is very little that it does that makes it any better than W10 - but, I got it pre-installed on a new laptop (LG Gram 17) and I didn't want to deal with a reinstall (locating all the drivers, etc which can be a challenge with consumer grade laptops) so I stuck with it.  At this point I see absolutely no difference in day-to-day usage. It has been rock-solid, without any blue-screens or lock ups, and no slowdowns. I started out loading a few of the 'Win10 emulators' to get back the old start menu, but I eventually gave up and - again - I'm happily using W11 'native' now.  Just about the only thing I've changed is I've restored 'full menus' in file manager, which was easy to do.  I also don't see any 'commercialization' that others in this thread moan about. 

Well thanks for the input. I am more interested however in long term performance gains of enterprise W10 as I do not upgrade often, and I keep hearing how enterprise will offer that, among other things I only upgrade if there is some good reason as I will keep a piece as long as 5 years. I do though intend on giving away my current w11, so its not like it will be waisted. 

On 8/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, Steerpike said:

Me either. I have been using windows 11 since launch day and it's been solid. Fast, and responsive. The ONLY issue I have with it is with the start menu and no availability to completely remove the "recommended" section of that. Nothing shows up there but it's taking space that I could use.  Other than that, I have 11 installed on every windows system in the household and they all run great.  The doom and gloom here is from a few people who just complain about everything microsoft.  They are masochistic, Complain about everything microsoft like it's the devil, but refuse to move to other platforms.  Totally silly behavior.  

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

When the software (or even hardware in some circumstances) that you need or want to use only works on Windows, and you find the version of Windows you are stuck with sucks, complaining about the fact that it sucks is not silly. It makes sense and I would encourage them to continue complaining. I suspect most of the people that think it sucks would move to a platform that doesn't suck if they could. For some it is simply a matter of laziness. For some, maybe most, it is technical ignorance and lack of ability to do that. The idea of replacing the OS scares the crap out of some, and spending money to pay someone else to do it for them may not be an option for some. For the majority, I suspect the issue boils down to the software they need or want to use, and using a sucky version of Windows is enough of a point of frustration for them that complaining is the best way to deal with the disappointment. It shouldn't bother anybody that likes Windows 11 that not everyone else does, but it appears that it does bother some of them.

I do not particularly like any version of Windows after Windows 7, but I use all of them, and Linux, at least part of the time. I use Windows 11 at least 40 hours a week for work, and have been for a long time. My opinion about it hasn't changed and it probably never will. I like Linux best, but it is the least accommodating in terms of allowing me to use the software I need and/or want to use. The only reason I am not still using Windows 7 is the missing driver support that my newer hardware requires to function. When everything is functioning the way I want it to then I don't burn too many calories griping about how much it sucks or how ugly it is to look at. It is what it is... like it or not.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.