NotebookTalk

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Papusan

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

The latest versions of Windows 10/11 behave in a way similar to a computer that has been infected by malware or running buggy software with a memory leak.

One of many reports the last years…. But people think newer has to be better. It’s called placebo. Or just malware infected OS. You can’t fix stupid. The sad part… So called smart ass or so called experts can’t see what’s wrong. Maybe they are blind?

https://www.neowin.net/amp/windows-11-vs-10-its-not-just-intels-fault-as-microsofts-latest-os-is-less-snappy/

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

One of many reports the last years…. But people think newer has to be better. It’s called placebo. Or just malware infected OS. You can’t fix stupid. The sad part… So called smart ass or so called experts can’t see what’s wrong. Maybe they are blind?

https://www.neowin.net/amp/windows-11-vs-10-its-not-just-intels-fault-as-microsofts-latest-os-is-less-snappy/

Newer is always better newer. Newer is often only better in the minds of those that stand to benefit from the use or sale of the newer product. That is the case with Windows.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Newer is always better newer. Newer is often only better in the minds of those that stand to benefit from the use or sale of the newer product. That is the case with Windows.

Yup, sad people can’t see the truth. All is about placebo. The real numbers show the truth. Then you have the tweaking the power enthusiast do on top of already snappier OS. The average Joe just can’t see how it should work. They are happy with lackluster. But that’s expected. You just can’t wake up a dead man after a car crash. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

16 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Yup, sad people can’t see the truth. All is about placebo. The real numbers show the truth. Then you have the tweaking the power enthusiast do on top of already snappier OS. The average Joe just can’t see how it should work. They are happy with lackluster. But that’s expected. You just can’t wake up a dead man after a car crash. 

i spent 2-3 hours to set up a fresh installation of windows.  i just did a clean installation yesterday i have done clean install like every 2 weeks trying new things. this is a list i do at every clean installation i do in different order.

spectre
run disable services powerise
disable registry services
index
sophia debloater
Backup Profiles

disable windows media player wizard
block drivers ID
adjust system visual effects
task scheduler-international lang
device manager disable devices
47687.68  46.57GB
create overprovisioning 10%
copy NSUDO to c:windows
disable win features
install gpu drivers 2000m 1st
update windows
update EDGE
update drivers from device manager
install TI

BackUP- registry memory-autologger-evntLog   **$$$$ FIRST $$$$**
Merge autologger registries ect
add registry vsync graphics OFF
Disable UMBP
Run SlimDowm
disable V2Providers
PERFORMANCE FOLDER
COMP MANAGMENT right click start
WIN optimizeR
O&O defrag
POWER OPTIONS
MEMORY USAGE
disable paging file
SSD TWEAK

8 hours ago, Papusan said:

Microsoft could have done so much better. But prefer work with things a core OS don’t need. They also could optimized the OS much more for performance/snappiness.  They have the tools and the skills but they don’t use it fully. 

really . i tought updates were meant for that. to improve the OS not worsen  i never updated windows  had use 95-98-xp-win 7 and 8.. never updated them.. until i used win 10 i started using updates. 

ist not like android were they release new android version and improve battery and performance. 

i find w11 slower at installing apps 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

2 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Yup, sad people can’t see the truth. All is about placebo. The real numbers show the truth. Then you have tweaking the power enthusiast do on top of already snappier OS. The average Joe doesn’t see it how it should work. They are happy with lackluster. 

They don't know any better and because they do not they simply believe what they are told. Or, they haven't paid close enough attention to notice any difference. When people use something until it gets too old and slow, they get excited that their new system seems better. It might not be as good with a simple part upgrade or two and a fresh OS install. But, they don't measure the difference. They rely on what they were told and how it feels compared to the old system.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

4 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Seems simple to me, if there are less services actively running, generally speaking, that leaves the CPU available to do what you want it to. No?

In practice, the background process count is just a proxy (and I'm sure Windows veterans rage against those services for a good reason), but it's oversimplifying things a lot to the point where I would not look at that number alone. All depends on what those services actually do. For reference my Linux box has over 300 running processes, and obviously I'm not concerned.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

In practice, the background process count is just a proxy (and I'm sure Windows veterans rage against those services for a good reason), but it's oversimplifying things a lot to the point where I would not look at that number alone. All depends on what those services actually do. For reference my Linux box has over 300 running processes, and obviously I'm not concerned.

Of course, its why I say "general speaking" though in this scenario I should have probably put more emphasis on that, since not all tasks weigh the same on its available resources.

• Thumb Up 3

It really starts hurting performance when CPU and memory resources are consumed. But, less is generally better. It is hard to go wrong by eliminating anything that isn't doing something you care about, and there is a crap ton of garbage that shouldn't be cared about in Windows 10 and even more in Windows 11. Even if a process is using little in the way of resources, it is something extra the CPU has to manage.

To put it in oversimplified terms, if you are playing babysitter to a well-behaved group of kids that don't involve themselves in mischief, it doesn't take a lot of effort. That being said, you can't leave and go to something else because they warrant your attention. It's your responsibility to look after them.

Now, if you are babysitting one kid that is a brat and have to burn a lot of calories to keep him from wreaking havoc or tearing the place apart, you cannot allow yourself to get distracted. That one brat is harder to manage than a half-dozen good kids. If you could, you'd force that brat into submission or even get rid of him, (never agree to watch him again,) but you can't at the moment. He is sucking the life out of you.

Some services and processes are like the group of good kids and others are like the brat you would like to strangle. You can manage a dozen of the good kids and just one or two of the brats makes you want to break out the belt and show them what forced compliance is all about.

• Thumb Up 1

I’m sure this one will be patched so we can get newer bugs 🙂

Windows File Explorer Bug Ironically Boosts Browsing Performance

Windows File Explorer Bug Ironically Boosts Browsing Performance
  • Thumb Up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 5:03 PM, Papusan said:

Most consumers/gamers use Home/Pro. And most info is about those versions. I expect the Enterprise has more restrictions already baked into gpedit/registry. Etc my LTSC versions haven’t been plagued much with this Microsoft introduced mess. + tweaked LTSC OS help on this as well. 

And my different Win 11 test os is tweaked as well. 

What where the results of the win 11 tests compared to LTSC 2021? What are these tweaks you speak of? I will be honest, I rarely upgrade and dont much get into this as much as I used to, so i love reading up these things, preferably with real tests.

On 9/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, raptorddd said:

i spent 2-3 hours to set up a fresh installation of windows.  i just did a clean installation yesterday i have done clean install like every 2 weeks trying new things. this is a list i do at every clean installation i do in different order.

spectre
run disable services powerise
disable registry services
index
sophia debloater
Backup Profiles

disable windows media player wizard
block drivers ID
adjust system visual effects
task scheduler-international lang
device manager disable devices
47687.68  46.57GB
create overprovisioning 10%
copy NSUDO to c:windows
disable win features
install gpu drivers 2000m 1st
update windows
update EDGE
update drivers from device manager
install TI

BackUP- registry memory-autologger-evntLog   **$$$$ FIRST $$$$**
Merge autologger registries ect
add registry vsync graphics OFF
Disable UMBP
Run SlimDowm
disable V2Providers
PERFORMANCE FOLDER
COMP MANAGMENT right click start
WIN optimizeR
O&O defrag
POWER OPTIONS
MEMORY USAGE
disable paging file
SSD TWEAK

really . i tought updates were meant for that. to improve the OS not worsen  i never updated windows  had use 95-98-xp-win 7 and 8.. never updated them.. until i used win 10 i started using updates. 

ist not like android were they release new android version and improve battery and performance. 

i find w11 slower at installing apps 

Oh awesome. You might try disabling memory compression if you have alot of ram, as that is known to cause problems with programs. I am curious, what windows are you using? I am thinking about W10 LTSC 2021, though I am trying to figure out why its only being supported to 2027, while LTSC 2019 is being supported till 2029.

• Thumb Up 1

7 hours ago, Kassowen said:

Oh awesome. You might try disabling memory compression if you have alot of ram, as that is known to cause problems with programs. I am curious, what windows are you using? I am thinking about W10 LTSC 2021, though I am trying to figure out why its only being supported to 2027, while LTSC 2019 is being supported till 2029.

i have 32GB. just for the record i leave memory compresion aka sysmain. and paging file on. according to cputech ( this youtube channel guy with a long beard not sure if that is the name of the channel) he mentioned that sysmain will predict wich programs you open so it loads them into memory and that it also helps defrag the files you use often to place them first i have ssd shlouddo the same i guess.

i have a dell precission m4600 with the quadro nvidia 2000m

i7 2760q   running latest windows 11 pro.  about ltsc.... i have no idea. to be honest i just heard of them recently. all i know is that they cost more.. is supported for longer or updates are offered less than regular windows. and doesnt have bloatware. when i read LTSC i just dont pay attention to them.

• Bump 1

dell precision m4600

i7 2760QM

8GB ram

MX500 crucial SSD 500GB.

win 10 21H2

In other windows news, Apple is releasing Windows vista soon.....This is MacOS sonoma with widgets activated.  Very vista'ish!

ugkXL8HvCHL9pcnQia3ue4-1200-80.jpg

• Haha 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Finally found a workaround for an issue that's been bugging me for long time. When typing in Outlook and Word on a display connected to an NVIDIA GPU, there would be frequent "corruption" for lack of a better word. Characters that you type would appear missing, line breaks wouldn't show when they should, and just a bunch of random badness. The workaround is to use a program called ParkControl and disable CPU core parking. In researching others who are experiencing the same, it looks like Microsoft is blaming NVIDIA and vice versa so I don't expect it will be resolved without the workaround any time soon. Besides, I've not noticed any strange behaviors or unwanted thermal changes with the program running so whatever. It's strange that it's specific to NVIDIA. It doesn't exist when using my Legion's internal screen with Optimus on nor on my wife's laptop that has an AMD APU.

• Thumb Up 3

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 9/8/2023 at 7:15 PM, saturnotaku said:

Finally found a workaround for an issue that's been bugging me for long time. When typing in Outlook and Word on a display connected to an NVIDIA GPU, there would be frequent "corruption" for lack of a better word. Characters that you type would appear missing, line breaks wouldn't show when they should, and just a bunch of random badness. The workaround is to use a program called ParkControl and disable CPU core parking. In researching others who are experiencing the same, it looks like Microsoft is blaming NVIDIA and vice versa so I don't expect it will be resolved without the workaround any time soon. Besides, I've not noticed any strange behaviors or unwanted thermal changes with the program running so whatever. It's strange that it's specific to NVIDIA. It doesn't exist when using my Legion's internal screen with Optimus on nor on my wife's laptop that has an AMD APU.

It does not happen to me on my desktop with my 2070 super.  Might be a YOU thing and not a them thing. 

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/08/25/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-23531-dev-channel/

Second bullet point:

In the European Economic Area (EEA), Windows system components use the default browser to open links.

So, if you are in Europe, they will stop making all Start menu search results and widget clicks open in Edge ... but if you live elsewhere, then sorry, we're going to continue shoving Edge down your throat?  😕

Score for Europe for once again kicking big tech into making a positive change for consumers.  If only they didn't limit it to that geographic area.

Though the EdgeDeflector guy says it doesn't seem to have changed at all for him.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/windows-system-components-default-edge.html

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

I was just reading that Bleepingcomputer writeup. Can the AI assistant be switched off?

7 hours ago, kojack said:

I was just reading that Bleepingcomputer writeup. Can the AI assistant be switched off?

How is it manifesting itself to you? I'm not aware of the "AI Assistant" appearing, so I have no need to switch it off.  I mostly search the internet from Chrome, though and I never search from the taskbar, or similar. I do leave Edge as the default browser, for various obscure reasons, but I only use Edge for certain browsing activities (I love how Edge tabs factor into 'Alt-tab' excursions). 

18 hours ago, Steerpike said:

How is it manifesting itself to you? I'm not aware of the "AI Assistant" appearing, so I have no need to switch it off.  I mostly search the internet from Chrome, though and I never search from the taskbar, or similar. I do leave Edge as the default browser, for various obscure reasons, but I only use Edge for certain browsing activities (I love how Edge tabs factor into 'Alt-tab' excursions). 

It's not yet.  it will be in the new version of windows being released before the end of the year. 

So,

Who followed the big "release" from Microsoft? Full AI windows integration.  NOT FEELING THAT, AT ALL!

Thoughts?