NotebookTalk

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Papusan

My dad has an older desktop but it's still a decent version of an i7, 16gb etc and like most people wanted to take the "free" 11 upgrade, did the same thing early in the win10 rollout. It says his system can't handle win11 etc, bs of course.

From what I gather his best bet is to go around the official update and use a bootable USB if he chooses to. Just basic usage email, bills etc but he does do a lot of blu ray ripping on there and sometimes dvd's but he says there's a known bug in win10 that it won't recognize some BD and DVD disks here and there and that 11 is supposed to be better, idk not into any of that. He has one of those old school BD drives that slot into the desktop case, not an external btw. Any tips here? I was just doing a search and came up with this link.

https://pureinfotech.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/

3 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

My dad has an older desktop but it's still a decent version of an i7, 16gb etc and like most people wanted to take the "free" 11 upgrade, did the same thing early in the win10 rollout. It says his system can't handle win11 etc, bs of course.

From what I gather his best bet is to go around the official update and use a bootable USB if he chooses to. Just basic usage email, bills etc but he does do a lot of blu ray ripping on there and sometimes dvd's but he says there's a known bug in win10 that it won't recognize some BD and DVD disks here and there and that 11 is supposed to be better, idk not into any of that. He has one of those old school BD drives that slot into the desktop case, not an external btw. Any tips here? I was just doing a search and came up with this link.

https://pureinfotech.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/

Rather ask for help from the software vendor forum if he use software for his blu ray ripping. Then keep Win 10 as is. Newer doesn't always mean better.

If he don't have it then see if there is software that works well with his hardware and OS. But if thats not the problem then make a backup of working system then use Rufus. It can download any Windows version then make a bootable USB who will circumvent Windows 11 hardware/log in requirements. Just run it and everything will be easly explained under the creation of the ISO.

https://rufus.ie/en/

Also ask for help for his problem in Win 10 forum. Maybe some have same problem and can help... Sign in and ask for help (tell what HW you have and what software you use for) Windows 10 Help Forums 

See also. New ain't better.... Win 11 is a wrong track - In addition to using an older Intel CPU, CyberLink also advises people not to upgrade to Windows 11 to avoid having the needful drivers replaced.

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

Dunno what he is using for ripping?  I use AnyDVD HD and it is very good about getting around disc protections.  (All it does it remove protections, still need some other software like MakeMKV to do the rip.)

• Thumb Up 2

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Rather ask for help from the software vendor forum if he use software for his blu ray ripping. Then keep Win 10 as is. Newer doesn't always mean better.

If he don't have it then see if there is software that works well with his hardware and OS. But if thats not the problem then make a backup of working system then use Rufus. It can download any Windows version then make a bootable USB who will circumvent Windows 11 hardware/log in requirements. Just run it and everything will be easly explained under the creation of the ISO.

https://rufus.ie/en/

Also ask for help for his problem in Win 10 forum. Maybe some have same problem and can help... Sign in and ask for help (tell what HW you have and what software you use for) Windows 10 Help Forums 

See also. New ain't better.... Win 11 is a wrong track - In addition to using an older Intel CPU, CyberLink also advises people not to upgrade to Windows 11 to avoid having the needful drivers replaced.

Yeah Idk he mentioned some dvd's don't get recognized here and there and that he read somewhere it's known win10 bugginess. He is the type that went with the 7 to 10 upgrade right when it was first offered years ago, thinks free and new is better. AFAIK he's not had any problems but just a basic user not a gamer, heavy user etc I think he's got something like a i7-3770 or the 4xxx cpu around that time.

Thought maybe 11 would fix that almost the only heavier thing he uses his pc for, but the in place upgrade said his system couldn't run it etc you know the same old BS "buy buy buy" tricks. He doesn't really want to do a whole wipe and fresh install just to get 11 anyways. I think his valid win10 key would work though. Eh

3 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Dunno what he is using for ripping?  I use AnyDVD HD and it is very good about getting around disc protections.  (All it does it remove protections, still need some other software like MakeMKV to do the rip.)

He just uses MakeMkv if it's a dvd no reencode, if it's a BD he then reencodes with handbrake for file size reduction. Sometimes it spins and says not recognized or something. It's just one of those platter in the tower type of bluray readers they put in back when BD was being pushed, I'm guessing a sata lite-on etc generic. Might be drm tech in the actual reader itself or on the disk. I know that BD's have that and you have to get some key file online did that with my rip/reencode of a BD set a couple years ago but it just prevented native VLC to play it, not recognize and rip it. Leawo was spotty, Win10 no native BD player support.

You can upgrade in-place to Windows 11 even on unsupported hardware. You will need ISO media (it won’t come down through Windows Update). The Rufus trick to generate the image should be fine, but Microsoft also has documented steps to skip some of the compatibility checks.

Do note that getting the yearly major upgrade will also require work (a new ISO and manual install). That won’t come down through Windows Update either.

• Thumb Up 2

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

As you already know, it's important to keep your Windows PC updated and patched to protect against the latest security threats, as well as to ensure you have access to the latest features and capabilities. And as you probably also know, Microsoft's updates sometimes inadvertently cause more problems than they solve.

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

On 1/2/2023 at 10:37 PM, Papusan said:

LOOOL. New has to be better. Always.  Why waste your precious time upgrade to the latest and flawed from Redmond only to get a more buggy and unstable system? Are people stupid bro @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox? For the records... You don't even need to have the latest Windows 10 version to come on par in performance. 

Intel "Raptor Lake" performance now equal in Windows 10 and Windows 11

Intel "Raptor Lake" performance now equal in Windows 10 and Windows 11

A test by PCWorld shows that Intel's hybrid architecture now works about as well with Microsoft's two latest operating systems.

Even gamer kids should be able to see that Microsoft only try to push you to the latest and greatest only to serve you more ads and push you into their Microsoft account and cloud money grabbing. 

107385?l=eyJyZXNvdXJjZSI6IlwvYXJ0aWtlbFwvYmlsZFwvMTA3Mzg1IiwiZmlsdGVycyI6WyJ0PW9yaWdpbmFsIl0sInBhcmFtcyI6W10sImtleSI6IjY0MTZiOTBhOWFiN2U2NDMwMGRkYWEwNDg3YTEyMGNlIn0%3D

The OEM vendor only has Win 11 drivers so naturally I went with Win 11. There are hiccups in start menu and overall desktop usage from Win 10 but nothing can be done. I tried few tweaks or start menu replacements with classic start menu and it made the entire OS buggy and stutter.

• Thumb Up 1

Todays Win 11 news.

Windows 11: a mistake? A huge yees.

Microsoft is adding new and updated alert messages to remind users about their for OneDrive subscription quota upgrades. The new message has been spotted in the Dev channel, though it is hidden.

And more of the Ugly Rounded corners on the horizon... How to get rid of it here.

Windows 11 KB5022364 (22H2) preview comes with more rounded corners

Mayank Parmar - January 7, 2023

Windows 11 KB5022364 (version 22H2) update is now available for testers in the Beta Channel, and it comes with a couple of noticeable improvements. For example, Microsoft is bringing more rounded corners to the new and flawed.....

• Thumb Up 1

• Thumb Up 2

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Here's a "Microsoft Update" 😉

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

What I like is that in the video posted they have bill gates with red eyes.  Bill has not been in charge of MS for YEARS and YEARS.  Poor saps.  He is living rent free in their heads.  It's pointless to acknowledge the two of them when it comes to windows, they will shitpost any windows thread posted. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Confused 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

all you do is complain about how bad apple is and yet all you buy is apple...remember the NBR days you spammed apple sucks then would say you bought apple. your the one complaining. they are using constructive criticism. if we dont complain nothing will change. don't be a hypocrite bro. MR FOX is one of our VIP along with papusan. if you think change happens from staying quiet. quietly jump.

Edited by Reciever
Removed Adult language
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 1/22/2023 at 7:39 AM, Linux said:

Why are you still using Windows, when bitching and bashing about it is the only thing you do in this thread? Whats the point?

Think of this as filling up a chalice with tears of despair, a path towards freedom and salvation. A few drops won't be enough for people to make the effort to free themselves from the situation, but with enough fine effort, such as demonstrated on this thread, the chalice might finally overflow. Keep it coming guys :)

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

amen.

We need more whistle blowers. this is dumb. why are we putting up with this crapola....because we don't stand up

Edited by Reciever
Removed Adult language
  • Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

all you do is shit post about how bad apple is and yet all you buy is apple...remember the NBR days you spammed apple sucks then would say you bought apple. your the one shitposting. they are using constructive criticism. if we dont complain nothing will change. don't be a hypocrite bro. MR FOX is one of our VIP along with papusan. if you think change happens from staying quiet. quietly jump.

If you knew why I have to use an iPhone, maybe you would have a different opinion WHY I use an iPhone.  don't be so quick to Jump on that.  I do hate apple and their policies. However, the reason I use an iPhone have nothing to do with apple, and everything to do with something else. 

Edited by Reciever
Removed Adult language

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Warnings and Infractions issued. 

I would like to remind everyone that Adult language is not permitted. Its in my opinion that if you rely on such language for a point you feel should be heard, it lowers how serious others will receive it. I.E. Its lazy. Spend the time to articulate it and the community will engage with you.

Certain members here should know better, as I have already addressed this issue with you on more than a dozen occasions at this point.

@ryan @kojack bring the temperature of the conversation down a bit, if you would please. Ryan, there is a reason its called a walled garden, not all apps are on all platforms so I wouldnt assume where one doesnt need to. Lastly this forum doesnt have VIP's, just varying degree's of passion and how much time they enjoy conversing with their peers. Do not presume status and invoke others' names to support your point of view, mention them if you wish and they can speak for themselves.

• Bump 1

27 minutes ago, ryan said:

delete. 

Take a lesson from @Mr. Fox's playbook, as he does quite a bit of wordplay to describe his particular disdain for sadly a great many products. The feeling is conveyed while using colorful language, while being perfectly in-line. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

If we are all honest there are things that we have to put up with that  suck real bad. Putting up with it doesn't mean that you like it, agree with it, approve of it or condone it. Choosing the lesser of two evils doesn't make the lesser evil something good or wonderful. It can still suck real bad.

Windows 11 sucks real bad. I continue using it in spite of its extreme suckiness because doing so is required to complete a task or activity that I am required to complete or want to complete. That doesn't make Windows 11 any less sucky. The same was true, and continues to be true, of Windows 10. I still use Windows 7 for the things that I can use it for. I haven't stopped liking it, but there are some things that I can't do with it anymore because the Redmond Retards have fabricated a scenario that prevents me from doing so. That's something worth complaining about.

I love Linux and use it for the things that I can. For the things that I can't, I have to do what I have to do and sometimes that means sucking it up and using Windows 10 or 11.  If it didn't stink then I wouldn't have anything to complain about. But, it still does. Complaining about it is fine. So is complaining about the people that complain about it. Complaining is useful and good. If I hear people complaining and I think it has no merit I ignore it. I don't expect them to stop complaining if I don't agree with the basis for their complaint. In fact, I want them to continue complaining about it because there are probably others that want to complain and if none of them do that simply guarantees that the things that they are complaining about will continue.

Complaining is especially useful and good when there's nothing you can do about it. I would much rather have people complain about things that they hate than have them do something irrational or regrettable that could put them in jail or something worse. It is a very healthy thing to do and I highly recommend doing it. We are blessed to live in a country where complaining is still legal and a freedom that we are all entitled to. There are some places out there that complaining can get you killed. 

• Thumb Up 4

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:30 PM, Reciever said:

Warnings and Infractions issued. 

I would like to remind everyone that Adult language is not permitted. Its in my opinion that if you rely on such language for a point you feel should be heard, it lowers how serious others will receive it. I.E. Its lazy. Spend the time to articulate it and the community will engage with you.

Certain members here should know better, as I have already addressed this issue with you on more than a dozen occasions at this point.

@ryan @kojack bring the temperature of the conversation down a bit, if you would please. Ryan, there is a reason its called a walled garden, not all apps are on all platforms so I wouldnt assume where one doesnt need to. Lastly this forum doesnt have VIP's, just varying degree's of passion and how much time they enjoy conversing with their peers. Do not presume status and invoke others' names to support your point of view, mention them if you wish and they can speak for themselves.

Thank you, @Receiver, for everything you do with this forum.  We should all remember that this forum is something you (and a few others) setup for the general benefit of us all (and not without cost, either). Most of us are here to learn about, and share experiences with, the latest in notebooks, and it's my favorite place to do so. I'm sure you'd rather spend your time doing things other than having to police immature users who can't behave in a civilized manner. 

I don't particularly like Windows 11 - it hasn't really added anything to the universe, but I don't believe it warrants the level of vitriol that it receives in this thread.  A casual visitor to this forum may get the impression that windows 11 is a disaster, but it is definitely not that (it's nowhere near as bad as 'Vista' was, or 'Windows 8'!). Once you have chosen your desired 'app' (Word, Outlook, Quicken, Chrome browser, or whatever) you don't even notice or care what 'OS' you are using. 

I've been using Win 11 now for over 10 months and I have yet to see any overt advertising from MS; before I purchased this laptop, I had the feeling I was going to be bombarded with ads.  

Thanks again, @Receiver. 

Are there any other utilities out there that are more regularly updated that can deal with Microsoft telemetry? WindowsPrivacyDashboard hasn't been updated in nearly a year and even Shutup10++ is going on three months. At the very least, are there any programs that support 22H2?

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

19 hours ago, Steerpike said:

Thank you, @Receiver, for everything you do with this forum.  We should all remember that this forum is something you (and a few others) setup for the general benefit of us all (and not without cost, either). Most of us are here to learn about, and share experiences with, the latest in notebooks, and it's my favorite place to do so. I'm sure you'd rather spend your time doing things other than having to police immature users who can't behave in a civilized manner. 

I don't particularly like Windows 11 - it hasn't really added anything to the universe, but I don't believe it warrants the level of vitriol that it receives in this thread.  A casual visitor to this forum may get the impression that windows 11 is a disaster, but it is definitely not that (it's nowhere near as bad as 'Vista' was, or 'Windows 8'!). Once you have chosen your desired 'app' (Word, Outlook, Quicken, Chrome browser, or whatever) you don't even notice or care what 'OS' you are using. 

I've been using Win 11 now for over 10 months and I have yet to see any overt advertising from MS; before I purchased this laptop, I had the feeling I was going to be bombarded with ads.  

Thanks again, @Receiver. 

Sometimes passions just get the better of people in the moment, it happens. I don't think any less or more of our members when that happens though I can only hope that they reflect and abide by our wishes. 

The grand architect for the forum is my good friend @Hiew all I did was stake my reputation and present this forum for everyone to use, then hope for the best.

It's been an interesting experience thus far, to say the least lol 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 1:42 AM, saturnotaku said:

Are there any other utilities out there that are more regularly updated that can deal with Microsoft telemetry? WindowsPrivacyDashboard hasn't been updated in nearly a year and even Shutup10++ is going on three months. At the very least, are there any programs that support 22H2?

You could use tools made by bel. I use privatezilla on win 10 and thisiswin11(might be deprecated and merged into debloos app). All are portables and very small.

Built by bel repo

Debloos for Win 11

ThisIsWin11

Privatezilla(Debloat Win 10)

• Thumb Up 1