NotebookTalk

Official Clevo P870TM-G Thread

ViktorV

18 hours ago, Developer79 said:

However, the MOD only works if 8 lanes of the MXM port are used. Otherwise it does not work.

Which mod do you mean - the add-on card for 4x NVME SSDs?

How can we find out how many lanes are used in products of other manufacturers?

I have a GT83 here and performance wise it is right up there with what Clevo had to offer in the P870 chassis so I would expect that there are 8 lanes per MXM slot.

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Which mod do you mean - the add-on card for 4x NVME SSDs?

How can we find out how many lanes are used in products of other manufacturers?

I have a GT83 here and performance wise it is right up there with what Clevo had to offer in the P870 chassis so I would expect that there are 8 lanes per MXM slot.

If you take a close-up photo of the MXM NVme board, I can tell you exactly what the maximum support is. For the P870xx it would be 8 lanes. I can't tell you for the GTx!

On 11/20/2023 at 11:20 AM, Developer79 said:

If you take a close-up photo of the MXM NVme board, I can tell you exactly what the maximum support is. For the P870xx it would be 8 lanes. I can't tell you for the GTx!

Pretty sure it supports 8x MXM lanes - it has to or NVME speed would be pretty limited.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:02 PM, Csupati said:

So as its seems now

-You sucsessfully converted the AUX power to 2x8pin(or HPWR 12pin)

The last thing is to do a spacer for the desktop card and a costume heatsink with dual fans, then a costum bottom cover , and boom you fitted a destop GPU in any P870 machine in a portable no disassembly reqiued way.

Yes, that's the idea.
The desktop GPU is to be installed inside the P870xx. Of course, a corresponding cooling system must then be manufactured. I'm leaning towards an RTX4080. RTX4090 is absolutely oversized in everything:-) I think the P870xx would already be the fastest laptop with an RTX4080 anyway:-)

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Does anybody have the pad thicknesses for a TM with the GTX1080 and this heatsink?

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Current pads clearly are too thick as the heatsink does not make good contact.

I still have a lot of these pads...I would just have to measure them...

23 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

I still have a lot of these pads...I would just have to measure them...

If you could measure the thickness over the memory chips that would be cool.

I think that these may be too high or maybe the elasticity of the pads has been reduced over the years. As I can easily take out and clean the card it may also be a good occasion to try thermal putty on this one.

27 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

I think that these may be too high or maybe the elasticity of the pads has been reduced over the years. As I can easily take out and clean the card it may also be a good occasion to try thermal putty on this one.

I'll have a look tomorrow...

• Thumb Up 1

On 12/5/2023 at 7:16 PM, 1610ftw said:

On 12/5/2023 at 7:42 PM, Developer79 said:

I'll have a look tomorrow...

Sorry, I forgot all about it!
The memory PADS are 1.0 mm thick... They are not 0.5mm!!!
I just measured it...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

Sorry, I forgot all about it!
The memory PADS are 1.0 mm thick... They are not 0.5mm!!!
I just measured it...

Maybe 0.5 with hard and 1.0 with soft pads? 😄

In any case thanks for the responses @Scruffy and @Developer79, I will have a go this week. If results still aren't what I expect I will use thermal putty for the first time. I have been meaning to do it before but for a CPU and that would have been a much bigger mess.

18 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Maybe 0.5 with hard and 1.0 with soft pads? 😄

In any case thanks for the responses @Scruffy and @Developer79, I will have a go this week. If results still aren't what I expect I will use thermal putty for the first time. I have been meaning to do it before but for a CPU and that would have been a much bigger mess.

the hard pads are 1.0 mm!
I wouldn't recommend doing this with putty...
Just use the right pads and you're done....:-)