NotebookTalk

Official Clevo P870TM-G Thread

ViktorV

On 12/5/2023 at 5:18 PM, 1610ftw said:

Does anybody have the pad thicknesses for a TM with the GTX1080 and this heatsink?

image.png.311c86772eaac4c837eb2cdc79cbe23a.png

Current pads clearly are too thick as the heatsink does not make good contact.

Here you are

20896717.jpg

• Thanks 1

Desktop - MSI B650 Tomahawk Wifi | AMD 7800X3D | 32 GB Trident Z5 Neo RGB 6000Mhz | MSI RTX 4070TI Suprim X  | Alienware 27 AW2724DM 2K 165 Hz Gsync | Samsung 990 Pro Nvme - Boot | Other various storage | Windows 10 Pro x64

SOLD - Clevo P870DM-G | i9-9700K 4.5 Ghz on all cores (-50 mv undervolted) | 32GB Hyper X Black 2666MHz | Clevo RTX 2080 3.1b undervolted for better temp 1905Mhz @881 mv | AUO B173HAN03.1 144hz Gsync | Samsung 980 NVME | Dsanke TM BIOS - Chujoi13 adapted based on needs | Network Card: Intel AX210-AX | Windows 10 Pro x64

My card seems to have had the same arrangement of pad that is in the post from brother @Scruffy and it was just missing the pads over the memory. So I went and only installed those 0.5mm pads. Looks like  now I have a great fit and temps are lowered by about 15 to 20°C - thanks for the help!

The only thing I noticed is that the card only seems to draw about 180W max - is there a way to easily modify it to take up to 200W? I do not have a programmer or something like that but if there is an easier way to do it I am all for trying that. It would be fun for some benchmarking and in normal operation it is always possible to reduce the power limit to 80% or lower to keep temps down.

im glad u had the pads fit perfect.

what temperature u reach max ?  remember that now is winter time, and lots of 1070, 1080 that were cooled by one heratsing only radiator got killed overtime. with my old 1070 and double heatsink like u i had max temp of 75° even in summer time. card is still working after so many years.

u can also unvervolt the gpu.

for the 200watt mod if i remember correctly, there is a bios to unlock that power. it should be easy to flash via dos, but u need to find the correct thread.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:18 PM, Scruffy said:

what temperature u reach max ?  remember that now is winter time, and lots of 1070, 1080 that were cooled by one heratsing only radiator got killed overtime. with my old 1070 and double heatsink like u i had max temp of 75° even in summer time. card is still working after so many years.

for the 200watt mod if i remember correctly, there is a bios to unlock that power. it should be easy to flash via dos, but u need to find the correct thread.

If you want to increase wattage for your GPU You can use pascal tdp tweaker program 

https://github.com/LaneLyng/MobilePascalTDPTweaker/releases/tag/1.2.1.0

And here is the tutorial video for flashing vbios file 

10 hours ago, Developer79 said:

I measured the memory pads of the GTX10xx series again.
These are approx. 1mm(0.95mm) hundred percent!:-) It's the same for both variants, hard or soft!
Just for your information....

Indeed I have redone the pads again and now used slightly softer pads with 1mm - I could push a piece of paper between the pads and the heatsink which is NOT good 🙂

On 12/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Scruffy said:

See above - while I had no issues with memory speed there still was no proper contact with the heatsink.

Together with a Noctua powered cooling pad and an open bottom max temps are about 60 degrees with 200W power consumption and I also achieved slightly below 70 degrees without a cooling pad and a closed bottom.

That is both excellent and I am very happy with that but somehow I cannot quite crack 8000 in Time Spy - it always is 79xx points. I have an MSI here that also has 200W TDP with its GTX1080 in SLI and it does up to 16400 which makes 8200 per card. Obviously 8200 for a single card should be possible, too and I am wondering what is holding me back.

Of course this make very little difference in actual gaming so it does not really matter that much. Long term steady operation is much more important and for that I am very happy that the temps went down!

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's about time I ressurected the beast that is my P870TM-G so i've got a few questions! and observations

I had the dual GPU 1070 model and since SLI is no longer a thing i've removed one of the 1070s and it's battery life is almost tolerable now, Idle stuff like content consumption and word proccessing/browsing is nearly 3 hours with a dimmed display at 60hz (I've got the G-sync 1440P panel)

So far I found a cheap 9900K to replace the 8700K and I am running Bios Version Prema Mod: 1.07.MTBX3 according to CPU-Z

1) Where are people finding the dual 'radiator' single GPU heatsink for the 10 series and or 20 series cards, I've got the Dual GPU vapor chamber one which does well but I want to do a few things with the now empty MXM slot.

2) Drop in replacement for 20-30 series MXM 3.1 cards, I've found a 2080 super that's not only on the cheap but I don't know if it'll work, are the 20 and 30 series cards just drop in? I know the 2080 super has the same layout as the 20 series and the 20 series used a different heatsink

3) Does Prema still do bios mods for these? If so any idea what the latest version is?

4) I've heard people getting Mutant 10 series CPU's running on these was there any performance differences or gains? If so are they compatible?

5) Does anyone know of an MXM to M.2 NGFF adapter that's able to handle a type B Key? I know there are quite a few Cat 16 LTE WWAN cards that only use PCIE and don't care for GPIO as they can take an E-sim but finding anyway to get a type B key to MXM or even cross conversion seems terribly difficult.

6) Panel replacement, Did anyone ever see if Panels from other models can work on these old Units, the 1440p/120hz panel is certainly showing signs that's for sure, There was someone selling a P870TM-G using the AUO B173ZAN06.C Panel, Do we have confirmation that the panel is just drop in and go or? as it's a 4k 144hz with HDR support.

Cheers.

Portable Desktop Killer: P870TM-G Core I7 - 9900K, RTX 2080 Super, 128GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 120Hz WQHD 

7 hours ago, Raven said:

Hi all,

It's about time I ressurected the beast that is my P870TM-G so i've got a few questions! and observations

I had the dual GPU 1070 model and since SLI is no longer a thing i've removed one of the 1070s and it's battery life is almost tolerable now, Idle stuff like content consumption and word proccessing/browsing is nearly 3 hours with a dimmed display at 60hz (I've got the G-sync 1440P panel)

So far I found a cheap 9900K to replace the 8700K and I am running Bios Version Prema Mod: 1.07.MTBX3 according to CPU-Z

1) Where are people finding the dual 'radiator' single GPU heatsink for the 10 series and or 20 series cards, I've got the Dual GPU vapor chamber one which does well but I want to do a few things with the now empty MXM slot.

2) Drop in replacement for 20-30 series MXM 3.1 cards, I've found a 2080 super that's not only on the cheap but I don't know if it'll work, are the 20 and 30 series cards just drop in? I know the 2080 super has the same layout as the 20 series and the 20 series used a different heatsink

3) Does Prema still do bios mods for these? If so any idea what the latest version is?

4) I've heard people getting Mutant 10 series CPU's running on these was there any performance differences or gains? If so are they compatible?

5) Does anyone know of an MXM to M.2 NGFF adapter that's able to handle a type B Key? I know there are quite a few Cat 16 LTE WWAN cards that only use PCIE and don't care for GPIO as they can take an E-sim but finding anyway to get a type B key to MXM or even cross conversion seems terribly difficult.

6) Panel replacement, Did anyone ever see if Panels from other models can work on these old Units, the 1440p/120hz panel is certainly showing signs that's for sure.

Cheers.

Hi:-)

to 1) If you have the Vapourchamber, this is recommended for the RTX20/30 series. This is the best cooling system besides water. With the RTX3080 I have 55-60 max! With my adapters you can run the RTX30xx series without any problems. See this thread. The RTX20xx series also works without Vapourchamber!
 to 2) The Vapourchmaber must be adapted for RTX20/30xx if you use them! With my adapters, you can install the RTX30xx series without any problems.
3) No, he doesn't do anything official anymore, unless you know him well 🙂
4) What do you mean?
5) Not as far as I know! But there are always new developments.
to 6) Yes, there are some panels that go. I've been using 4k panels with 120Hz for a few years now. I want to switch to 4k 144Hz soon. You can also install OLEDs or other manufacturers. You just have to make the mounts yourself. But the compatibility is very high. It is important that the edp cable 40PIN fits. All other resolutions and frequencies and panel technologies are also possible! Not all, but many.

It is also possible to install the latest desktop graphics card generations of the RTX40xx series. Of course, the PCB must be correspondingly small! This is another project of mine. I want to test the RTX4080 soon. And of course that would be water cooling, either dual or internal. I mean with external heat exchanger and internal heat exchanger. I can leave a picture of my latest development!

The CPU expansion would theoretically also work on 13th/14th gen notebooks! I have looked at all the specifications. But that would be another huge new project. I'm not in the mood for that right now. These are the possibilities with the P870xx in general.

Greetz

Developer79

Version_3.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

1) If you have the Vapourchamber, this is recommended for the RTX20/30 series. This is the best cooling system besides water. With the RTX3080 I have 55-60 max! With my adapters you can run the RTX30xx series without any problems. See this thread. The RTX20xx series also works without Vapourchamber!
 to 2) The Vapourchmaber must be adapted for RTX20/30xx if you use them! With my adapters, you can install the RTX30xx series without any problems.

Attatched below is the one that I have, And since I don't use Dual GPU anymore it's mostly just cooling a single 1070 as the secondary 1070 has been removed.

11 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

3) No, he doesn't do anything official anymore, unless you know him well 🙂

Do we have a different Bios to use then? Or will 10.07 from the Metabox branch be fine to keep going with?

12 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

4) What do you mean?

Information is Scarce but it's things such as the QJT1 and similar, ES 10th gen laptop CPU's put on an interposer and work in 8/9th gen motherboards.

13 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

5) Not as far as I know! But there are always new developments.

The card in question is the Fibocom L860-GL-16, I wanted to edit it in but i'm still under moderator restriction, I used to post a bit under a different name when we were on the notebookreview forums.

15 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

6) Yes, there are some panels that go. I've been using 4k panels with 120Hz for a few years now. I want to switch to 4k 144Hz soon. You can also install OLEDs or other manufacturers. You just have to make the mounts yourself. But the compatibility is very high. It is important that the edp cable 40PIN fits. All other resolutions and frequencies and panel technologies are also possible! Not all, but many.

We have access to OLED Panels? I thought OLED panels had a completely different power circutry, Are they just drop in and go? Got any models available as a link to browse?

Cheers.

45023206_1146100875566455_7932262205767024640_n.jpg

Portable Desktop Killer: P870TM-G Core I7 - 9900K, RTX 2080 Super, 128GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 120Hz WQHD 

8 hours ago, Raven said:

Attatched below is the one that I have, And since I don't use Dual GPU anymore it's mostly just cooling a single 1070 as the secondary 1070 has been removed.

As I said, it depends on what you want! If you want an RTX30xx series, my recommendation is the Vapourchamber!

8 hours ago, Raven said:

Do we have a different Bios to use then? Or will 10.07 from the Metabox branch be fine to keep going with?

You can use a modified bios, but I repeat, the normal Clevo bios is perfectly adequate and compatible. It works with every MXM card from Clevo from GTX900M - RTX30xx

8 hours ago, Raven said:

Information is Scarce but it's things such as the QJT1 and similar, ES 10th gen laptop CPU's put on an interposer and work in 8/9th gen motherboards.

There are versions to buy from time to time. As far as I know, you could buy the last version in Poland!

8 hours ago, Raven said:

The card in question is the Fibocom L860-GL-16, I wanted to edit it in but i'm still under moderator restriction, I used to post a bit under a different name when we were on the notebookreview forums.

I'll have to look it up myself, I don't know this card yet!

8 hours ago, Raven said:

We have access to OLED Panels? I thought OLED panels had a completely different power circutry, Are they just drop in and go? Got any models available as a link to browse?

Sorry, unfortunately OLED is only available up to 15.6 inches. Unfortunately not yet in 17.3" according to Panellook. As I said, I currently have a 4k 120Hz display and have been enthusiastic about it for a long time. I can't imagine anything else. Even most of today's laptops still don't have 4k 120Hz or 144Hz!!! That says it all, including the upgradeability of the P870xx in this respect!

9 hours ago, Developer79 said:

4k 120Hz or 144Hz!!! That says it all, including the upgradeability of the P870xx in this respect!

What is the model of the panel that you have and was it drop in?  Being able to swap this 1440p 120hz panel for a 4k 120hz panel would be amazing to be honest.

10 hours ago, Raven said:

What is the model of the panel that you have and was it drop in?  Being able to swap this 1440p 120hz panel for a 4k 120hz panel would be amazing to be honest.

You would need a P775 4K Edp cable, as the connection on the pannel is on the other side and the stock one is too short.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop - MSI B650 Tomahawk Wifi | AMD 7800X3D | 32 GB Trident Z5 Neo RGB 6000Mhz | MSI RTX 4070TI Suprim X  | Alienware 27 AW2724DM 2K 165 Hz Gsync | Samsung 990 Pro Nvme - Boot | Other various storage | Windows 10 Pro x64

SOLD - Clevo P870DM-G | i9-9700K 4.5 Ghz on all cores (-50 mv undervolted) | 32GB Hyper X Black 2666MHz | Clevo RTX 2080 3.1b undervolted for better temp 1905Mhz @881 mv | AUO B173HAN03.1 144hz Gsync | Samsung 980 NVME | Dsanke TM BIOS - Chujoi13 adapted based on needs | Network Card: Intel AX210-AX | Windows 10 Pro x64

12 hours ago, Raven said:

2 hours ago, runix18 said:

You would need a P775 4K Edp cable, as the connection on the pannel is on the other side and the stock one is too short.

Of course the cable has to be adapted, that's clear! You can order them from AliExpress, for example...

I say yes, changing the panel is absolutely great! The latest laptops look old in comparison:-)
My panel is the: AUO B173ZAN03.3 

• Thumb Up 1

Now there is also the B173ZAN06.C which is the 4k, 144hz, Mini-LED panel from the MSI Titan. I personally have not tried any of them though.

• Previous lives: D900F / P150HM / P150EM / P870DM2 / X170KM
  • Testing/Backup Rig - P750DM2 - **in process** - *Build Thread*
  • Wife's Daily - P750DM2- 4k Panel / 6700k / 1060 GTX / 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance / 1TB Samsung 970 Plus / 2TB WD Black SN770 / Killer Wifi
  • Self Daily - P750DM2 (2016) - Dsanke BIOS / 8700k (2017) / 2080 RTX (2019) / 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Ballistix / ETC
  • Determined to keep the socketed 15.6" laptops alive as long as possible!!

3 minutes ago, anassa said:

Now there is also the B173ZAN06.C which is the 4k, 144hz, Mini-LED panel from the MSI Titan. I personally have not tried any of them though.

My next one will be the B173ZAN06.9. Not from Titan, just the new 4k 144Hz:-)

• Thumb Up 2

10 hours ago, runix18 said:

So realistically we just need to buy a different cable? Damn I'm feeling good about these upgrades.

7 hours ago, Developer79 said:

My panel is the: AUO B173ZAN03.3 

How do you like it?

36 minutes ago, anassa said:

Ideally when I figure out which Panel I want, I am going to just order it and drop it straight in.

Ideally I'd like something that is 4K 120hz or better with hopefully HDR and good brightness/color vibrancy, I tend to play RPG's more than anything so things like Horizon Zero dawn, Baldurs gate 3, World of warcraft all of which have a huge benefit from panels that do well with vibrant colors amongst other things.

• Thumb Up 1

On 1/15/2024 at 6:50 PM, Raven said:

So realistically we just need to buy a different cable? Damn I'm feeling good about these upgrades.

Yes, all you really need is a cable, and you can build brackets or mounting options yourself.

How do you like it?

I think Display is great! It has great colors and looks absolutely awesome on 3D shooters and other games! I think the games only look really good from 4k upwards anyway. If the display is also good, then of course it's great. As I said, I'll be getting the 4k 144 Hz soon!

deally when I figure out which Panel I want, I am going to just order it and drop it straight in.

Ideally I'd like something that is 4K 120hz or better with hopefully HDR and good brightness/color vibrancy, I tend to play RPG's more than anything so things like Horizon Zero dawn, Baldurs gate 3, World of warcraft all of which have a huge benefit from panels that do well with vibrant colors amongst other things.

Then get the B173ZAN06.9 display! I want to buy that too. But many people think it's not worth it if you don't have a fast graphics card because of refresh rates. I think that's complaining at a high level! I think it always looks good. Of course, at least an RTX3070 would be good for the display and a GTX980M not so good:-) I hope you know what I mean.

I've been using the 4k 120Hz for a long time, where others haven't thought of it yet.
I can only repeat it again and again, the P870xx /P775xx is great for upgrading. Of course, the P870xx is even better in this respect, but that's also a matter of taste. From a technical point of view, I find the P870xx very interesting. Of course, the CPU is a bit older, but in my tests with the RTX40xx generation, you would have the fastest laptop in the world in terms of gaming! As I said, my suggestion for the CPU upgrade would be technically possible, but again, it would be a big project!

• Thumb Up 1

12 hours ago, Developer79 said:

Yes, all you really need is a cable, and you can build brackets or mounting options yourself.

Excellent, That solves a lot of problems realistically.

so first up is getting a new heatsink and tracking down a 2080S or 3080, I've got my eyes on a cheap 2080S and just waiting for another member to confirm compatibility with it.

Then if it's just a cable, I'll pick up either the

B173ZAN06.C

or 

B173ZAN06.9

But I am leaning towards the B173ZAN06.C for the HDR support, As I said the 9900K slotted in without issues and the replacement battery is doing pretty well as-well so far so it's just those two in regards too getting upgrades for the display.

In a couple of weeks i'll order another 2 https://www.umart.com.au/product/crucial-32gb-1x32gb-ct32g4sfd832a-3200mhz-ddr4-sodimm-ram-57739 of these to bring it to 128GB/3200mhz and then it's time to eye up some new drives after that.

Going to build a proper laptop stand/dock that has a thunderbolt to PCIE interface on it to slot in a 10 or 40GBE nic and some decent fans in it to help the laptop along, Replace the CPU thermal interface with the graphite pads or go liquid metal.

Have you looked at B173ZAN06.A?

Best collors, HDR but 120hz. Tbh is not like you have a 4090 in there to push more than 120 fps in any game.

17 hours ago, Raven said:

so first up is getting a new heatsink and tracking down a 2080S or 3080, I've got my eyes on a cheap 2080S and just waiting for another member to confirm compatibility with it.

B173ZAN06.C

or 

B173ZAN06.9

But I am leaning towards the B173ZAN06.C for the HDR support, As I said the 9900K slotted in without issues and the replacement battery is doing pretty well as-well so far so it's just those two in regards too getting upgrades for the display.

In a couple of weeks i'll order another 2 https://www.umart.com.au/product/crucial-32gb-1x32gb-ct32g4sfd832a-3200mhz-ddr4-sodimm-ram-57739 of these to bring it to 128GB/3200mhz and then it's time to eye up some new drives after that.

Going to build a proper laptop stand/dock that has a thunderbolt to PCIE interface on it to slot in a 10 or 40GBE nic and some decent fans in it to help the laptop along, Replace the CPU thermal interface with the graphite pads or go liquid metal.

If you find a source for a working display cable then please let us know.

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

If you find a source for a working display cable then please let us know.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000465841183.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3.60c446223oVzFZ&algo_pvid=6ce68480-9792-442a-894d-c72f6499cb7e&algo_exp_id=6ce68480-9792-442a-894d-c72f6499cb7e-1&pdp_npi=4%40dis!AUD!41.28!41.28!!!26.68!26.68!%402103011117055985102054058ec220!10000014712286003!sea!AU!0!AB&curPageLogUid=M3gyikaAah7r&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

Should be it, But I am sure that @Developer79 probably also has a link to the correct cable

11 hours ago, runix18 said:

Best collors, HDR but 120hz. Tbh is not like you have a 4090 in there to push more than 120 fps in any game.

I did not notice that one, It's the same thing basically only 120hz instead of 144 which isn't that big of a difference.

The game that I play the most benefits significantly from windows Auto-HDR and comes out really well but doesn't need a 4090 to push 4k and that's WoW, Then coming in after that is Factorio, BG3 etc Most of the games I play aren't shooters so if it does dip below optimal frame rate it's not a big deal.

21 hours ago, Raven said:

B173ZAN06.C

or 

B173ZAN06.9

13 hours ago, runix18 said:

3 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

f you find a source for a working display cable then please let us know.

2 hours ago, Raven said:

I did not notice that one, It's the same thing basically only 120hz instead of 144 which isn't that big of a difference.

The game that I play the most benefits significantly from windows Auto-HDR and comes out really well but doesn't need a 4090 to push 4k and that's WoW, Then coming in after that is Factorio, BG3 etc Most of the games I play aren't shooters so if it does dip below optimal frame rate it's not a big deal.

I think that always aligning the frequency with the graphics card or the display is overrated. Of course, a graphics card should not be slow if you have a fast display. As I said, a good display still doesn't look good on a slower graphics card:-) You don't necessarily have to have an RTX3080 either. An RTX3070 or RTX2080/70 is also still very good. That's really complaining at a high level:-) You can immediately recognize the better display in any type of game, regardless of graphics card performance.
And what do you think of the RTX 4090? I didn't understand.

I'll send you a link for the cable when the store is up and running again!