NotebookTalk

Official Clevo P870TM-G Thread

ViktorV

6 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

I do not quite understand what you mean!??:-)

for now u use ADT mxm to pcie adapter, the gpu is outside from the laptop, im thinking about to built in dekstop gpu inside the laptop.

HP Omen Transcend 16 13700HX/32GB 4800mhz/RTX 4070 105W/QHD 240Hz IPS.

I have mxm to pciex16 adapter from adtlink for around 1 year now....works like a charm without any problems...also my friend tested my adapter on his p870km1 but weirdly he just got 8lines max for some reason...on my 775 x16 is no problem 😉 

1 minute ago, zex4 said:

I have mxm to pciex16 adapter from adtlink for around 1 year now....works like a charm without any problems...also my friend tested my adapter on his p870km1 but weirdly he just got 8lines max for some reason...on my 775 x16 is no problem 😉 

cuz the cpu has one X16 connection , and in the P870 its halfed between the 2 slots. 

19 hours ago, zex4 said:

Exactly what I mean. The ADT adapter would only work with 8 lanes on the P870xx. But my adapter works with 16 lanes. I have developed one especially for this series of the P870xx! It is really compact and fits exactly into the P870xx...

19 hours ago, zex4 said:

My dream is that i could upgrade the cpu to 11gen one day...it looks doable with some small mods to socket and bios..10 and 11 gen are very similar to 9gen sockets...

That could be difficult. It is about the protocol of the CPU. When a new generation comes out, the CPU always needs new power profiles. There is a special protocol defined by Intel for this. I have not checked and thought over everything. But it looks like a lot of effort.

19 hours ago, Csupati said:

cuz the cpu has one X16 connection , and in the P870 its halfed between the 2 slots. 

As I said, with my own development MXM to PCIe adapter 16 lanes is possible without big problems in the P870xx...:-)

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 9:41 PM, zex4 said:

My dream is that i could upgrade the cpu to 11gen one day...it looks doable with some small mods to socket and bios..10 and 11 gen are very similar to 9gen sockets...

I have now checked the CPU expansion to 13th 14th Gen HX! That would work, but the effort is relatively high. You would probably need 2 new PCBs especially for socket 1151 and an extension for the motherboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zex4 said:

Actually someone already buyed this 10gen cpu and it's seems working (see reviews)

https://pt.aliexpress.com/i/1005001856928276.html

135€ is not bad for 8c_16t cpu at all...should I take one for testing purposes 🤔

That is what I am looking at for my P750DM2 for lower power draw but still the cores/threads.  I am just wondering if it will work with the dsanke bios or if it needs something specific. 

• Previous lives: D900F / P150HM / P150EM / P870DM2 / X170KM
  • Testing/Backup Rig - P750DM2 - **in process** - *Build Thread*
  • Wife's Daily - P750DM2- 4k Panel / 6700k / 1060 GTX / 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance / 1TB Samsung 970 Plus / 2TB WD Black SN770 / Killer Wifi
  • Self Daily - P750DM2 (2016) - Dsanke BIOS / 8700k (2017) / 2080 RTX (2019) / 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Ballistix / ETC
  • Determined to keep the socketed 15.6" laptops alive as long as possible!!

9 hours ago, anassa said:

That is what I am looking at for my P750DM2 for lower power draw but still the cores/threads.  I am just wondering if it will work with the dsanke bios or if it needs something specific. 

Get a 9700T or 9900T and Dsanke bios, or just simply disable turbo boost.

Before I installed Dsanke I disabled turbo boost on my 9900nonK cpu and it was 50-60C at load with barely spinning fans . After that i set the power limit to 60/70 W and it had good performance and fairly cool 2.

17 hours ago, zex4 said:

That's sounds not easy to do 😕

That from aliexpress looks something like this 

17 hours ago, zex4 said:

Actually someone already buyed this 10gen cpu and it's seems working (see reviews)

https://pt.aliexpress.com/i/1005001856928276.html

135€ is not bad for 8c_16t cpu at all...should I take one for testing purposes 🤔

6 hours ago, Csupati said:

Get a 9700T or 9900T and Dsanke bios, or just simply disable turbo boost.

Before I installed Dsanke I disabled turbo boost on my 9900nonK cpu and it was 50-60C at load with barely spinning fans . After that i set the power limit to 60/70 W and it had good performance and fairly cool 2.

You also have to make special bios modifications. But it works in any case.
The 10th gen notebook CPU has the same requirements as the 9th generation from the point of view of switching control...

• Thumb Up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:12 AM, Developer79 said:

Here is a photo with Adapter and Power Supply for P870xx GPU extension:

Adapter_1.jpg

Looking good!

It looks like the board has a little upward slant, would it make it hard to close the bottom case if you found a way to cool it?  For example retrofit the vapor chamber dual GPU heatsink to sit ontop of the desktop GPU PCB for cooling and still be able to close the bottom panel.  IF that was possible I think you would completely re-write the usability of the P870 series laptop.  People may even look for old ones just because this would be possible!

Keep it up!

• Wife's Daily - P750DM2- 4k Panel / 6700k / 1060 GTX / 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance / 1TB Samsung 970 Plus / 2TB WD Black SN770 / Killer Wifi
  • Self Daily - P750DM2 (2016) - Dsanke BIOS / 8700k (2017) / 2080 RTX (2019) / 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Ballistix / ETC

3 minutes ago, anassa said:

Looking good!

It looks like the board has a little upward slant, would it make it hard to close the bottom case if you found a way to cool it?  For example retrofit the vapor chamber dual GPU heatsink to sit ontop of the desktop GPU PCB for cooling and still be able to close the bottom panel.  IF that was possible I think you would completely re-write the usability of the P870 series laptop.  People may even look for old ones just because this would be possible!

Keep it up!

I certainly would, makes for a very interesting project 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anassa said:

Looking good!

Keep it up!

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

I certainly would, makes for a very interesting project 

Just think about it for a moment:-) If you insert an MXM card, what angle does the board take when you first insert the MXM card into the slot? Always at an angle to the motherboard. But if you screw the MXM card in, then the card is parallel to the motherboard. It is exactly the same in the picture. Of course my adapter board will be parallel when a desktop card is inserted. The photo is only intended to show a certain perspective. The plan is to have everything closed, like the original! The desktop card will not stick out at an angle to the motherboard, but will be just as parallel as an MXM card! This will allow the P870xx to be closed by the bottom cover...:-)

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

2 hours ago, Developer79 said:

Just think about it for a moment:-) If you insert an MXM card, what angle does the board take when you first insert the MXM card into the slot? Always at an angle to the motherboard. But if you screw the MXM card in, then the card is parallel to the motherboard. It is exactly the same in the picture. Of course my adapter board will be parallel when a desktop card is inserted. The photo is only intended to show a certain perspective. The plan is to have everything closed, like the original! The desktop card will not stick out at an angle to the motherboard, but will be just as parallel as an MXM card! This will allow the P870xx to be closed by the bottom cover...:-)

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That is AWESOME.

Development would also go much faster if we had more money available. I'm still looking for companies that support this. Or sponsors. The projects also cost money and not just time:-)
If we had more money available, we could realize everything faster...
It might also be possible to expand the CPU, but for the reasons mentioned above, things don't always work out the way you want....

On 11/12/2023 at 9:54 AM, Developer79 said:

Development would also go much faster if we had more money available. I'm still looking for companies that support this. Or sponsors. The projects also cost money and not just time:-)
If we had more money available, we could realize everything faster...
It might also be possible to expand the CPU, but for the reasons mentioned above, things don't always work out the way you want....

Why not start a gofundme or something where people can potentially donate?  I think there will be some people who will be willing to donate some money to help.  Even if it is just $20, $20 from 10 people is still $200 and that could be helpful.  Or have different donation levels = % discount for buying the desktop GPU conversion from you.  Maybe every $100 is 10% discount or something.  Just some ideas! I would love to see this come together.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:48 AM, anassa said:

Why not start a gofundme or something where people can potentially donate?  I think there will be some people who will be willing to donate some money to help.  Even if it is just $20, $20 from 10 people is still $200 and that could be helpful.  Or have different donation levels = % discount for buying the desktop GPU conversion from you.  Maybe every $100 is 10% discount or something.  Just some ideas! I would love to see this come together.

Every donation is welcome! I can always use something 🙂

On 11/15/2023 at 1:48 AM, anassa said:

People who are interested in the electric GPU expansion kit for the P870xx can ask me! It's ready so far...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Developer79 said:

People who are interested in the electric GPU expansion kit for the P870xx can ask me! It's ready so far...

Honestly you should create in the notebook components for sale section a " Developer79 P870 Mods / Parts" thread where you can list a couple of the items you are building.  There you can list what you have available with pictures.  Of course make sure to have the disclaimer of: "Limited parts available!"

That would also allow people to post feedback, like pictures of it installed etc so you have the feedback for other buyers to be confident in purchasing parts from you. 

• Thumb Up 2