NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

7 hours ago, Rage Set said:

I was in my late teens/early 20's when I played Anarchy Online. It is when I discovered I could have an addictive mentality. Before AO, I didn't believe anyone could be addicted to an MMO. I was wrong. 

I will say I met a huge diversified community in AO and developed a lot of irl friendships, like my friend Jacob from Norway ( @Papusan another reason why I want to come there). That meant a lot to a bi-racial man that was going through an identity crisis at the time. 

I wouldn't mind playing an MMO with some of you guys and this time, I won't have the time to become an addict, hahaha. I loved PSO for the Dreamcast, but the servers were filled with a lot of cheaters. 

This echoes my existence almost exactly.

My younger brother started playing EQ back in the day and I invited him to come out and stay with me for a few weeks so him along with my other younger brother and a friend could attend DC Con (ID Quake convention back in the day) and the first thing he did when he got here was ask where he could set up and jack in with his desktop to "camp a rare" and I just shrugged and hooked him up to my ISDN and he played all day, evening and when I went to bed and woke up he was still playing. I was amazed a game could hold someone's attention for that long and how was that possible. He played EQ everyday all day and cleared my fridge of all its pent up hot and lean pockets. 🙂

Even in my early days of WoW I could never play that long but I found out I could pull 8-10hr sessions which I never thought possible before. Programming? Yes. Gaming? No but it was an eye opener. I made (and continue to have) numerous friendships from online guilds (WoW) and clans (Quake) over the years.

Ditto on the bi-racial issue(s) too. I'm 50% african 50% European (40% UK)...textbook.

PSO, VF and Shenmue along with Working Designs games slated for release were the primary reasons I picked up a Dreamcast back in the day.

7 hours ago, Reciever said:

Im very value oriented for a lot of things in life and I knew immediately that if I started playing in that genre I would force myself to play them daily due to the subscription business model that most of them use.

I never played the Dreamcast version, my first exposure to PSO was on the GameCube, used to play that a lot with a friend of mine and later discovered the PC version which had ported a lot of the items in the JP and other versions into it.

I also had a bit of a identity crisis when I was younger, particularly in Middle/High school. Being German/Italian/Mexican (amongst others, im a mutt) I was basically Hitler personified to my classmates made to apologize for my heritage on the daily. 

I love the idea that your addiction would derive primarily from achieving maximum value from your paid subscription. 🙂

I played PSO primarily on the Dreamcast but never tried the PC version. My original love derived from the Genesis versions (I and II) and I definitely feel you on the identity crisis. Kids can be incredibly cruel.

6 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I never got that far, but did spend a fair amount of time. I guess it was a combination of the SciFi lore, the vast world, the climate and the complexity, and last but not least - novelty. Eventually it all became too repetitive and boring. Just couldn't afford to put in the time required to progress. The visuals became dated. Lower level PvP was a non-starter, mainly based on twinking I couldn't afford. I tried all factions, but mostly played Omni - was supposed to be the easier route. 

Based on that experience, I avoided WoW to prevent myself from getting sucked in. AO was relatively difficult, especially for new joiners. For people like me it was a draw, but that's no way to get 10 million or whatever subscribers. I knew Blizzard solved that problem by providing a smooth and mesmerizing experience, they definitely know how to hook people. The stories of severe WoW addiction were in the mainstream media at the time. More recently they pulled all the stops with Hearthstone, a pure slot machine-grade money grab. Valve used similar tricks in CSGO - people end up paying them hundreds if not thousands for random skin drops.... but I digress.

WoW started off much more like EQ in terms of complexity and difficulty but over the years they've definitely dumbed down a lot of mechanics and made playing/questing much easier plus back in the day day no add-ons. It was much more hardcore. I try to tell my wife and daughter (who also plays) about how much harder it was "back in my day" (usually seated on a porch somewhere waving my fist at imaginary kids on my lawn).

I never, EVER allowed myself to pay more than the cost of the game and subscription (if it had one). Even to this day, I will never, ever pay extra for anything. When I see family, friends and guildies forking over REAL money for P2W or useless skins/accessories I just shake my head, remount my imaginary porch and start to regale them yet again....

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Silly, silly people. Always in search of a newer driver... because newer is always better newer. They will never learn because they have been taught wrong and still believe the crap that they were told. Somebody they thought was smarter them, but wasn't, set them up for failure.

What makes it so sad/stupid/messed up is they think they are "optimizing" their system, but what they are really doing is choking it and making it slower.

Rules for newer versions:

Does your current system have problems that this new version will address?

Read the change log notes..is there an unknown issue you were unaware of that needs to be addressed?

If the answer is no to both, skip it and continue using your system.

If it will address an issue, is the issue critical of nature that is in a "nothing to lose" configuration?

If no, wait at least a few weeks till others test it / shake out any potential issues.

I never, ever rush to install updates / newer versions of anything.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

I never, EVER allowed myself to pay more than the cost of the game and subscription (if it had one). Even to this day, I will never, ever pay extra for anything. When I see family, friends and guildies forking over REAL money for P2W or useless skins/accessories I just shake my head, remount my imaginary porch and start to regale them yet again....

That makes sense, alas the greatest cost of gaming is the lost time, which is why I quit some time ago and we don't game. If someone can play an hour a day, great - that's reasonable, more power to them - I can't, I'm too competitive.

• Thumb Up 3

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Ok first real quick benchmark in Windows 7. Only adjusted the sliders a little for the 6800xt. My previous best was on the Radeon VII three years ago, just a tad under 25k.

Installing Windows 10 LTSC now

Firestrike.jpg

• Like 7

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

25 minutes ago, Raiderman said:

Ok first real quick benchmark in Windows 7. Only adjusted the sliders a little for the 6800xt. My previous best was on the Radeon VII three years ago, just a tad under 25k.

Firestrike.jpg

woah nice result. amd can be impressive for the price its just a shame they dont have a 4090 competitor

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

That makes sense, alas the greatest cost of gaming is the lost time, which is why I quit some time ago and we don't game. If someone can play an hour a day, great - that's reasonable, more power to them - I can't, I'm too competitive.

When other people in your life are not into it, you take some flak for it, too. I have an addictive personality. When I enjoy something I want to binge on it, but I also get burnt out on it easily.

My pattern is, I may go a year without playing anything. Then I will pick something up, like it a lot and play it for 20+ hours in one or two days on a weekend, then never touch it again, or anything else for months.

If I do not become mesmerized with it during the first 15-20 minutes then chances are great I will never touch it again. I think that part is fairly common. That could be why we do not see playable game demos as often as we used to. For me, the demo was usually enough to get as much out of it as I ever would, and convince me not to waste money on it. That, or I added it to my list of titles I liked well enough to buy whenever the price dropped to $20 or less. Many of them have never been installed, so I will have lots to keep me busy in retirement, LoL.

Many of the games I own were purchased only for an included benchmark, and many of the playable demos included a benchmark. That made buying them unnecessary. Some I can immediately tell from the benchmark that I would hate the game. Best examples here are the Final Fantasy benchmarks. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

When other people in your life are not into it, you take some flak for it, too. I have an addictive personality. When I enjoy something I want to binge on it, but I also get burnt out on it easily.

My pattern is, I may go a year without playing anything. Then I will pick something up, like it a lot and play it for 20+ hours in one or two days on a weekend, then never touch it again, or anything else for months.

If I do not become mesmerized with it during the first 15-20 minutes then chances are great I will never touch it again. I think that part is fairly common. That could be why we do not see playable game demos as often as we used to. For me, the demo was usually enough to get as much out of it as I ever would, and convince me not to waste money on it. That, or I added it to my list of titles I liked well enough to buy whenever the price dropped to $20 or less. Many of them have never been installed, so I will have lots to keep me busy in retirement, LoL.

Many of the games I own were purchased only for an included benchmark, and many of the playable demos included a benchmark. That made buying them unnecessary. Some I can immediately tell from the benchmark that I would hate the game. Best examples here are the Final Fantasy benchmarks. 

I do the same, actually I just downloaded farcry 6's benchmark (demo) just to benchmark and see how it runs and looks with and without FSR. I miss the days of actual demos like crysis had. but times are ah changing

• Thumb Up 3

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, Raiderman said:

Firestrike.jpg

Nice!

I'm digging the all red .sig too! "All Hail AMD!" style 🙂

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 3

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

I have found it difficult to manualy select a font color that is easy to read regardless of the forum theme selected, so I leave the color selection on "auto" for that reason. What is easy to read on a dark background is not good on a light background, and vice versa. It is probably worse for those of us that are partially colorblind. Dark colors on a dark background and light colors on a light backgroup are a challenge for me.

• Thumb Up 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

9 hours ago, ryan said:

does anyone bench on windows 11. wondering if my scores would be higher on 10

I do, and most things are the same or worse than a recent version Windows 10. Setting aside my general dislike of it, I do not believe you will find it useful for benching. When it comes to benching I will use whatever OS produces the highest scores, even if I do not like the OS. I haven't identified anything (yet) that Windows 11 is better at. I haven't gained performance in anything, but have lost some here and there.  It's essentially a dumbed-down version of the latest W10 OS with an uglier and more inefficient GUI skin.

For gaming, six of one, half dozen of the other. It doesn't matter. Unless you are struggling to hit 60, a variance of 5 to 10 FPS is irrelevant and within a normal margin of error.

• Thumb Up 4

Yeah I don't remember where I read it, maybe on NBR but people were complaining windows 11 results were lower. I just don't get it. Chrome is the new OS and its as lite as it gets, you'd think windows 11 would copy chrome and make it more like windows 7 and even more lite. like its not a trend to have a sluggish OS with needless things. yes its fun tinkering and customizing but when it comes to functionality should it not be more effecient or why the heck would you release it. kinda like releasing the BIKE 2.0 now with square tires

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I have an addictive personality.

I believe that term, which is not universally accepted by the scientific community, is misleading - what is typically meant by this is propensity to addiction having adverse consequences, but aren't the underlying mechanisms the same, regardless of the outcome of addition?  Many successful people are totally addicted to what they are involved in. Einstein was addicted to physics. It's all he could think of, and clearly that was a necessary condition for him to be able to perform at the level he did. No doubt in my mind that environmental factors play a role: had Einstein been raised in front of a computer screen playing games, would he proceed to develop breakthrough scientific theories?

The problem with games is that they hijack often very capable people's reward systems such that they end up wasting their potential, and this is most likely affecting young people to the greatest extent. At 50 or 60 we are less likely to be excited by yet another game, or fall into the trap we have fallen into before.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Confused 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

Nice!

I'm digging the all red .sig too! "All Hail AMD!" style 🙂

You noticed that 🤪

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

35 minutes ago, ryan said:

Yeah I don't remember where I read it, maybe on NBR but people were complaining windows 11 results were lower. I just don't get it. Chrome is the new OS and its as lite as it gets, you'd think windows 11 would copy chrome and make it more like windows 7 and even more lite. like its not a trend to have a sluggish OS with needless things. yes its fun tinkering and customizing but when it comes to functionality should it not be more effecient or why the heck would you release it. kinda like releasing the BIKE 2.0 now with square tires

Microsoft has been very much copying the worst aspect of ChromeOS, namely it's spyware nature. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

-- Max Tegmark

ok man... at first i was wtf. but now i get it. spyware is not a fun game. but bro dont you think windoze 11 should be like a lite windows 7? given trends

• Sad 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

52 minutes ago, ryan said:

ok man... at first i was wtf. but now i get it. spyware is not a fun game. but bro dont you think windoze 11 should be like a lite windows 7? given trends

No. Given current trends, things should probably be worse than how terrible it already is. The current trends are not for the better.

Edit: I have spent the past 10 minutes thinking about it, and I am unable to indentify anything meaningful that is better today than it was 2, 4 or 6 years ago. Literally everything that actually matters is trending undesirably now. That's the trend, so Winduhz 11 is in keeping with the trend.

Edited by Mr. Fox
added comments
  • Thumb Up 4

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Given current trends

isn't simple the new trend given android and chromes success

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 5

Maximus Z790 Apex ~ 13900K ~ MSI 4090 Suprim X ~ G.Skill Trident Z5 7800 Mhz ~ 1TB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Thermaltake 1650W GF3 ~ AACH100HP Water Chiller ~ Praxis Wet Bench Flat

MSI MEG X570S Unify-X MAX ~ 5950X ~ GTX 1070 ~ G.Skill 3200 Mhz ~ 500GB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO Tempered Glass ~ Thermaltake 650W ~ 

Hwbot Profile

4 hours ago, ryan said:

I do not like either of them, and the latest versions of them are less desirable than the versions they replace. In that respect, Winduhz 11  is a downgrade that is true to form and consistent with the way things are headed with Android and ChromeOS.

• Thumb Up 3

1 hour ago, ryan said:

Well, ChromeOS is just Linux with a Google shell/Window manager and services layer.

I don't think there is something terribly wrong with the Windows 7 shell, and if Microsoft could migrate to Linux core, it would be great :) It would actually make a lot of sense, but I'm almost certain they won't do it.

55 minutes ago, ryan said:

Well, actually Apple started the simple trend, with the very simple iOS. Android was considered to be "complicated" in comparison initially.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Edit: I have spent the past 10 minutes thinking about it, and I am unable to indentify anything meaningful that is better today than it was 2, 4 or 6 years ago. 

True to a large extent, with some exceptions:  there has been progress in hardware performance (CPU/GPU, WiFi, Cellular), and Linux seems better than it was a few years ago. Otherwise the world is slowly going down the drain.

• Thumb Up 3

-- Max Tegmark

51 minutes ago, johnksss said:

Dagger to the heart....

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I believe that term, which is not universally accepted by the scientific community, is misleading - what is typically meant by this is propensity to addiction having adverse consequences, but aren't the underlying mechanisms the same, regardless of the outcome of addition?  Many successful people are totally addicted to what they are involved in. Einstein was addicted to physics. It's all he could think of, and clearly that was a necessary condition for him to be able to perform at the level he did. No doubt in my mind that environmental factors play a role: had Einstein been raised in front of a computer screen playing games, would he proceed to develop breakthrough scientific theories?

The problem with games is that they hijack often very capable people's reward systems such that they end up wasting their potential, and this is most likely affecting young people to the greatest extent. At 50 or 60 we are less likely to be excited by yet another game, or fall into the trap we have fallen into before.

Haha, I was raised in front of a computer screen playing games, and now I make them. As always, it depends on the person as my interests always involved computers to some degree. Video games allow me to live up to my potential because I have no idea what else I'd be doing.

However, and this applies to everyone, self control also plays a big part, because nobody should be playing video games if they haven't completed the things they need to get done first.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Bump 1

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

26 minutes ago, Clamibot said:

Haha, I was raised in front of a computer screen playing games, and now I make them. As always, it depends on the person as my interests always involved computers to some degree. Video games allow me to live up to my potential because I have no idea what else I'd be doing.

However, and this applies to everyone, self control also plays a big part, because nobody should be playing video games if they haven't completed the things they need to get done first.

Yep, that's the one legitimate use case - I didn't bother mentioning it since unfortunately it's also a negligible edge case...

It's a bit like saying watching a lot of TV is great because people can then go on to work in the creative industry.

Indeed, it's hard to tell what else you might end up doing, if you are smart and hard working enough to make it in the competitive gaming industry you were conditioned as a child to pursue.

BTW A truly ridiculous rationalisation of gaming is people saying the play to become "pros". That's really sad, and in a vast majority of cases probably an indication of delusion coupled with genuinely clinical addiction.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Haha 1

-- Max Tegmark

22 hours ago, Reciever said:

I think I had around 1000 hours on it, Monster Hunter replaced it at some point. I wouldnt mind this forum hosting private servers for those older titles 

For a while I've had the idea of setting up an Unreal Tournament server for some friends and I, but they don't seem all too interested because the game is, "too old." I'd be really interested in the forum hosting servers for some classic titles (possibly including the OG UT... 😉); I think it'd be great for this community.

• Thumb Up 8
  • Bump 1

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD