NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

Jufres was able to hit 8000 on an MSI Z790i Edge and 7800 on the Z690i Unify. I remember this because I was looking into a 2 slot board that was the cheapest that could hit better memory speeds to take it out of the equation when wanting to initially test DDR5 on Intel and possibly moving away from DDR4 at the time on the D4:

I think many Z690/Z790 2 dimm motherboards are better than a lot of people think. That 7600-7800ish range is really the IMC limitation on many 13th gen CPU’s. Even my own SP110 13900K could not “Truly” stabilize DDR5 7800 with my Unify-X. I thought it was my Z690 Unity-X motherboard the entire time. I popped in a 13900KS with a superior IMC and BAM! I am benching DDR5 8400 easily without even touching my CPU IMC voltage or CPU IVR TX voltage. Funny thing is, you also don’t see many people mentioning this either. 

I didn’t realize the chip had a weak IMC until after I got rid of it actually lol. Even when I had my KS in the Unify-X, I ran 7600-7800ish for a bit. Until one day I got a wild hair and started messing with memory overclocking again. And then I had a revaluation of a moment. 🤯when DDR5 8000c34 was so easily daily stable. 

I got me a great IMC on this KS here. I really love it. Make an all the difference in that fine tuning. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

13900KF

46 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I think many Z690/Z790 2 dimm motherboards are better than a lot of people think. That 7600-7800ish range is really the IMC limitation on many 13th gen CPU’s. Even my own SP110 13900K could not “Truly” stabilize DDR5 7800 with my Unify-X. I thought it was my Z690 Unity-X motherboard the entire time. I popped in a 13900KS with a superior IMC and BAM! I am benching DDR5 8400 easily without even touching my CPU IMC voltage or CPU IVR TX voltage. Funny thing is, you also don’t see many people mentioning this either. 

I didn’t realize the chip had a weak IMC until after I got rid of it actually lol. Even when I had my KS in the Unify-X, I ran 7600-7800ish for a bit. Until one day I got a wild hair and started messing with memory overclocking again. And then I had a revaluation of a moment. 🤯when DDR5 8000c34 was so easily daily stable. 

I got me a great IMC on this KS here. I really love it. Make an all the difference in that fine tuning. 

I think it doesn't get mentioned simply because a LOT of people don't know any better. Everything is a silicon lottery and QC roulette... CPU, mobo, memory, GPU... all of it. I have RMA'd 95% of the memory modules I have purchased (DDR4 Samsung B-die, Hynix M-die and Hynix A-die) because many of them are defective trash that cannot function as intended.

It's no secret that I am running 8200 stable on my Z690 Dark. The memory modules I have installed on it now are the only modules I have owned that can do that. (I have not tested the 7200 TG Delta installed in the Apex on the Dark yet. It might be the second that can.) People assume that just because they volunteer to be raped financially that they are getting something awesome because it was super expensive and that is simply not the case all of the time. It's only true when it is true. We are surrounded by companies that sell garbage and get away with it because people don't know how or why they are getting screwed, and some do not even recognize that they are because they derive pleasure from claiming ownership of the overpriced trash they have purchased, even when it is broken. (Alienware's continued existence is just one example providing proof of this exploitation of human ignorance.)

*obscene gestures directed at Strix 4090 turd GPU* 

*glares at Z690 Apex piece of trash* 

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I have been daily driving three Linux distros. Vanilla OS, Nobara and PopOS. I think I am going to make the switch to Linux full time on ALL of my PCs (except for my job's workstation) this summer. Outside of the same Microsoft BS we all know, I love the tinkering aspect of Linux. My favorite so far is Nobara, as I have all of my film/video creation tools working alongside gaming. However, I LOVE the security focus of Vanilla OS and if you don't require anything outside of the common FOSS, it is a great OS.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

21 hours ago, cylix said:

😂😂

(sorry unable to delete the above on my phone) 

A new kid on the 48/96GB block:

TeamGroup Launches 48GB DDR5-8000, 96GB DDR5-6800 Kits

So, TeamGroup or G. SKILL?Which brand do you rate higher? 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

(sorry unable to delete the above on my phone) 

A new kid on the 48/96GB block:

TeamGroup Launches 48GB DDR5-8000, 96GB DDR5-6800 Kits

I would say G.Skill 1st, Team Group probably 2nd for sure. Avoid Corsair like the plague! Corsair does not like to take care of their customers at all when it comes to memory so they solder on cheap Micron and other random memory dies to their 48GB/96GB kits. 

I have the $250 dollar G.Skill 7200 (2x24GB kit) and it’s at DDR5 8600c38 daily with 1.550V. 

So yeah the G.Skill 7200 (2x24) is really the bee’s knee’s for ram today. 

@Etern4lEDIT: My 7200 kit runs at the full speed of the more expensive DDR5 8000c40 kit with only 1.335V. So that tells me the kits are probably binned the same. And G.Skill wants people to buy these 🤣

• Thumb Up 5
  • Thanks 1

13900KF

6 hours ago, Rage Set said:

I have been daily driving three Linux distros. Vanilla OS, Nobara and PopOS. I think I am going to make the switch to Linux full time on ALL of my PCs (except for my job's workstation) this summer. Outside of the same Microsoft BS we all know, I love the tinkering aspect of Linux. My favorite so far is Nobara, as I have all of my film/video creation tools working alongside gaming. However, I LOVE the security focus of Vanilla OS and if you don't require anything outside of the common FOSS, it is a great OS.

Since I am kind of an "eye candy" junkie, is there much customization in any particular Linux distro? I have VM'ed a few in the past, but nothing has really buttered my toast. I am sure it would be a learning process, just as customizing Windows has been. I hate the direction MS went with Windows 10/11 with flat icons, and menus. Its just laziness on their part. We have all of this high dollar hardware in our systems, make the damn OS aesthetically pleasing! Put some effort into creating different OS flavors based on what the end user would like.....Oh my bad...I am talking about Microsoft. It was a nice dream while it lasted.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

1 hour ago, Raiderman said:

Since I am kind of an "eye candy" junkie, is there much customization in any particular Linux distro?

Are there any burgers in Burger King? ;) Linux is all about customisation. 

Personally I quite like Mate desktop:

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 3

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

LoooL. Enjoy 🙂 What's next? Steve being called out for being paid shill? HaHaHa

image.png.c1bfa1a8e1788651ed8ed7a9221aa374.png

And AMD screwed up for the old power connector standard....

Radeon RX 7600 is not compatible with all power connectors

The design around the reference board's power connector means that some 6+2 pin connectors cannot be pushed all the way in.

The problem mainly affects power connectors of the 6+2-pin type, where two of the connector pins "hang" to the side. The plastic edge that locks the two extra pins to the rest of the connector is in some cases too high and receives a protruding edge from the graphics card's cover plate.

A design oversight prevents some power connectors from being fully inserted. So AMD outsource design jobs to less educated engineers to cut costs further? Hmmm.  If not.... Why try reinvent the wheel? 

AMD's Reference RX 7600 Card Doesn't Fit Some 6+2-Pin Connectors

Lack of full insertion of the connector hasn't caused any "meltdowns" as far as we can tell, unlike NVIDIA and its RTX 4090 connectors. That's likely because AMD's RX 7600 design flaw means the power connector will either fit or it won't.

But why do this possible in first place? 

image.thumb.png.6a85d4eaa4d5939899be5d49124893cf.png

In conclusion, AMD has ensured that none of the cards with the power connector design flaw make it to customers, while it works on a revision that comes out "over the coming weeks." Good job!

AMD Confirms: RX 7600 Reference Cards in Retail will Not Have Power Connector Flaw

• Thumb Up 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

First phase of operation portable ITX and I kid you not today when the BB pick up CSR handed me this I immediately thought, "this thing feels like a boat anchor" 🤣

I still had the idea of when I received my FE 3090 box in my head apparently....

b1byINN.jpg

• Thumb Up 4
  • Haha 3

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

Finallly got a working software for increasing voltage for HD6870. MSI Afterburner could only do clocks and memory. Same also with Evga software. Even Asus own newer OC' tools don't work properly with own products. 

https://hwbot.org/submission/5282608_papusan_aquamark_radeon_hd_6870_515035_marks?recalculate=true

2928333.jpg

https://hwbot.org/submission/5282602_papusan_3dmark05_radeon_hd_6870_55611_marks?recalculate=true

2928331.jpg

https://hwbot.org/submission/5282612_papusan_3dmark06_radeon_hd_6870_35468_marks?recalculate=true

2928338.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 9:52 PM, Mr. Fox said:

It's no secret that I am running 8200 stable on my Z690 Dark. The memory modules I have installed on it now are the only modules I have owned that can do that. (I have not tested the 7200 TG Delta installed in the Apex on the Dark yet. It might be the second that can.)

Nope, the TG Delta can't. 7600 or so max. No match for my naked green sticks.

22 hours ago, tps3443 said:

I have the $250 dollar G.Skill 7200 (2x24GB kit) and it’s at DDR5 8600c38 daily with 1.550V. 

Well, you can add this as another example of the silicon lottery at its worst. I bought the identical kit that you did and it's absolute dog crap quality. It's worse than garbage and I'm sending it back to NewEgg on RMA today. This kit won't even pass memory stability tests running their stock XMP profile and won't run anywhere near 8200 stable like my generic green sticks. I'm extremely disappointed that these are rubbish after seeing the good results that @tps3443got with his. I wasted several hours trying to make them work to my satisfaction yesterday and won't be wasting any more time with this trash.

In contrast, I also helped a friend build a new system with a Z690 Dark mobo using this same 48GB G.SKILL 7200 kit and they are stable on his system. So, yeah... hit or miss is the only way to describe it. Their QC really sucks.

For the record, I've had more defective memory modules that have been RMA from G.Skill than I have from Team Group. 100% of the G.Skill DDR5 kits have been RMA'd and more than half the time the DDR4 kits haven't been able to run stable and got returned for a refund. Most of the time the Delta RAM has at least passed all memory tests using the XMP profile even when it didn't overclock very well.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:37 AM, Etern4l said:

As you can see from my comments above, your mileage may vary. I'm definitely not impressed with G.Skill as a brand and haven't been for a couple years. Their quality control issues predates DDR5. Totally hit or miss on stability and overclock capacity of their memory kits.

Even the plastic RGB diffuser on these new modules that I'm returning today rattles a bit. Very poor QC at G.Skill based on several years of experience with their brand.

I had high hopes for the kit that I'm returning today. Really disappointed that they haven't gotten their act together and become more consistent. I'm not going to try another one. Brother @tps3443just got lucky again in the silicon lottery. I have RMA'd more unstable G.SKILL memory kits than I have any other brand. When you get lucky they are good, but they are inconsistent quality.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:58 AM, Rage Set said:

Fantastic. I probably won't be far behind you, bro. There is just no end to the detritus the Redmond Retards continue depositing in/on our systems with their endless supply of projectile digital diarrhea. 

19 hours ago, Raiderman said:

Since I am kind of an "eye candy" junkie, is there much customization in any particular Linux distro? I have VM'ed a few in the past, but nothing has really buttered my toast. I am sure it would be a learning process, just as customizing Windows has been. I hate the direction MS went with Windows 10/11 with flat icons, and menus. Its just laziness on their part. We have all of this high dollar hardware in our systems, make the damn OS aesthetically pleasing! Put some effort into creating different OS flavors based on what the end user would like.....Oh my bad...I am talking about Microsoft. It was a nice dream while it lasted.

Check out some of my Linux threads and posts in this forum.  There's literally no compelling reason to install Windows anymore unless you require Micro$lop Office or enjoy Windows-only benchmarks. For everything else Linux is better. As long as you avoid the garbage software Linux is awesome. (Free is free, just like the free garbage from Micro$lop Store usually turns out to be rubbish. Easy come, easy go. Nobody has a right to complain if it is free unless it breaks something or contains malware.)

I wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone that struggles with changes in technology, but I also wouldn't recommend changing to a different version of Windows to that same group of low-tech zombie computer users.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

18 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Are there any burgers in Burger King? 😉 Linux is all about customisation. 

Personally I quite like Mate desktop:

That is not beautiful in my eyes. At least the first video showed nothing but windows 11 look a likes. Rounded corners is nothing new. Matte look?  Thats the exact thing I am avoiding. Transparency does not make eye candy, flat matte, or neon style icons are not eye candy either. As I have said, I have seen nothing that floats my boat as of yet. Thanks for the videos though. I want Vista, Seven glass/transparency with shadowing, and clear type text. All this crap is like fisher price type customizing. (windows xp) Stretch the imagination, and do something ground breaking instead of giving everyone the same look and calling it "breath taking"

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 4

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

That is not beautiful in my eyes. At least the first video showed nothing but windows 11 look a likes. Rounded corners is nothing new. Matte look?  Thats the exact thing I am avoiding. Transparency does not make eye candy, flat matte, or neon style icons are not eye candy either. As I have said, I have seen nothing that floats my boat as of yet. Thanks for the videos though. I want Vista, Seven glass/transparency with shadowing, and clear type text. All this crap is like fisher price type customizing. (windows xp) Stretch the imagination, and do something ground breaking instead of giving everyone the same look and calling it "breath taking"

That's because the person likes Windows 11 and made it look like it. That's the problem with Windows. People with very tacky taste in aesthetics are ramming the garbage they like up our butts. With Linux you can tweak to your heart's content. But, it is really easy to misjudge the beauty of Linux when the people showing it off like things that you find ugly. The default Ubuntu Unity desktop environment is the pinnacle of grotesque UI in my opinion, but some people love it. Same for POP_OS! GUI. I think it sucks real bad, but changing it to something you like is as simple as running a couple of terminal commands and then you can go to town tweaking.  

Seven glass/transparency with shadowing, and clear type text.

Yeah, it just doesn't get any better than that. I'm not into fancy window decorations and weird themes, but I absolutely love that classic beauty stuff.

And, that's exactly what is missing in Windows 8/10/11. It's all nasty-looking pastel rainbow vomit, big, ugly tiles and fat icons, fat window borders and abusive use of white from W8.X forward. Really makes me want to puke in a matter of seconds. I despised it within the first 30ms of seeing it the first time and I haven't grown numb to it or learned to tolerate it since; only grown to hate it more with the passing of time. It actually makes me very angry every time I have to use a default Windows 8.X/10/11 GUI. Angry about how ugly it is, and angry that some people think its nice and expect everyone else to embrace it just because their personal tastes suck.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Nope, the TG Delta can't. 7600 or so max. No match for my naked green sticks.

Well, you can add this as another example of the silicon lottery at its worst. I bought the identical kit that you did and it's absolute dog crap quality. It's worse than garbage and I'm sending it back to NewEgg on RMA today. This kit won't even pass memory stability tests running their stock XMP profile and won't run anywhere near 8200 stable like my generic green sticks. I'm extremely disappointed that these are rubbish after seeing the good results that @tps3443got with his. I wasted several hours trying to make them work to my satisfaction yesterday and won't be wasting any more time with this trash.

In contrast, I also helped a friend build a new system with a Z690 Dark mobo using this same 48GB G.SKILL 7200 kit and they are stable on his system. So, yeah... hit or miss is the only way to describe it. Their QC really sucks.

For the record, I've had more defective memory modules that have been RMA from G.Skill than I have from Team Group. 100% of the G.Skill DDR5 kits have been RMA'd and more than half the time the DDR4 kits haven't been able to run stable and got returned for a refund. Most of the time the Delta RAM has at least passed all memory tests using the XMP profile even when it didn't overclock very well.

As you can see from my comments above, your mileage may vary. I'm definitely not impressed with G.Skill as a brand and haven't been for a couple years. Their quality control issues predates DDR5. Totally hit or miss on stability and overclock capacity of their memory kits.

I ordered two kits of 2x16GB G.Skill 6400 modules because early buyers were claiming they were getting A dies and hitting 8000. I ordered a set for my 7800X3D but hey if it's A die on top of it? Well so be it. Alas, mine was M-die and wouldn't stabilize on my 7800X3D at 6200 properly. I ended up returning it and trying another and yep another M-die but at least that one stabilized but nowhere near the older M-die 2x16GB sticks I had from the previous year in regards to timings.

Of course the A-die 2x32GB kit I picked up on ocn crushes all of M-die on my 7800X3D. M-die topped out at 30-36-36. A-die's do 28-35-35 with better secondary timings. Along with their DR they are providing 9-12% uplift in Fallout 76. So much so I popped my M-dies back in and loaded back in their profile to retest to make sure. Can't wait to re-test in WoW.

• Thumb Up 4

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

3 hours ago, Raiderman said:

Windows-7-Kubuntu.jpg

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

For the record, I've had more defective memory modules that have been RMA from G.Skill than I have from Team Group.

Yeah, this is kind of my opinion of G.Skill carried over from the notebook space: leading frequency and timings, but compatibility and stability tends to be hit and miss. In contrast, I never had any issues with the "slower but stable" Kingston/HyperX RAM. 

Where your opinion also differs with @tps3443is regarding the Corsair RAM. You said it's basically slow but stable, @tps3443 seems to think it's outright garbage :) 

Only Corsair modules are available here at the moment, G.Skill are starting to show up, it's a US import on Amazon with no warranty. I guess I will have to pull the trigger on the Corsair and see how it does if I can't hold off any longer. Ideally Kingston would finally get into the 48/96GB game.

3 hours ago, Raiderman said:

I thought your question was around configurability generally, but forgot you are in the Windows 7 business - here is the first hit on YT:

For me, the Windows UIs are fine, but I can't get over what's going on under the hood and at Microsoft in general. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

The default Ubuntu Unity desktop environment is the pinnacle of grotesque UI in my opinion, but some people love it. Same for POP_OS! GUI.

Not sure about Ubuntu (I thought it was basically Gnome), but I do like and use Gnome. It's minimalistic and very fast. It's palpable how much faster and responsive the Linux/Gnome UI is vs basically all versions of Windows. Of course, I have a couple of tweaks and extensions on as well. That said, if I had a choice I would probably switch to Mate.

• Thumb Up 4

-- Max Tegmark

8 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Yeah, this is kind of my opinion of G.Skill carried over from the notebook space: leading frequency and timings, but compatibility and stability tends to be hit and miss. In contrast, I never had any issues with the "slower but stable" Kingston/HyperX RAM. 

Where your opinion also differs with @tps3443is regarding the Corsair RAM. You said it's basically slow but stable, @tps3443 seems to think it's outright garbage 🙂

Only Corsair modules are available here at the moment, G.Skill are starting to show up, it's a US import on Amazon with no warranty. I guess I will have to pull the trigger on the Corsair and see how it does if I can't hold off any longer. Ideally Kingston would finally get into the 48/96GB game.

I thought your question was around configurability generally, but forgot you are in the Windows 7 business - here is the first hit on YT:

For me, the Windows UIs are fine, but I can't get over what's going on under the hood and at Microsoft in general. 

Not sure about Ubuntu (I thought it was basically Gnome), but I do like and use Gnome. It's minimalistic and very fast. It's palpable how much faster and responsive the Linux/Gnome UI is vs basically all versions of Windows. Of course, I have a couple of tweaks and extensions on as well. That said, if I had a choice I would probably switch to Mate.

I like consistency and a desktop environment that looks and feels like Windows 7/Vista best, but I like that I can do most of the things I want to do with Linux and I don't have someone dictating that I accept their way of doing things and stealing my data while dictating.

We got Vista, too!

Vista-Kubuntu.jpg

• Thumb Up 6

On 5/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, Raiderman said:

I have a 6800XT sitting around in an anti static bag! I also have a Ryzen 3900x 12 core

While I'd love to take you up on the offer, the goal is to get the build under 500 USD so that he can sell his GF65 and minimize the cost of anything else that the GF65 might not cover. The 12100 is about 90 USD right now and a used RX 6600 is about 160 USD right now.

• Thumb Up 5

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

There's literally no compelling reason to install Windows anymore unless you require Micro$lop Office or enjoy Windows-only benchmarks.

But, but. Isn't added RGB/bling control appealing? Gamers and bling bling jockey's will love it. How this Windows Beta OS looks and feels has to better than stability and performance going downwards due more added useless features/services and ongoing patch problems every damn month. 

Microsoft simplifies RGB control with "Dynamic Lighting" in Windows 11
https://www.igorslab.de/en/microsoft-vereinfacht-rgb-steuerung-mit-dynamic-lighting-in-windows-11/

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Maybe my English is not perfect or do I read this correct? The Nvidia adaper dongle offer higher average voltage for the 12v rails than the fancy CableMod kit.... Do I read it wrong? From my understanding the Nvidia dongle offer less drop in 12v voltage. In short you pay more for less.

image.png.c40f7ee22084cc804b67dfef2f4450bc.png

These voltages look ok ?

• Thumb Up 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

But, but. Isn't added RGB/bling control appealing? Gamers and bling bling jockey's will love it. How this Windows Beta OS looks and feels has to better than stability and performance going downwards due more added useless features/services and ongoing patch problems every damn month. 

Microsoft simplifies RGB control with "Dynamic Lighting" in Windows 11
https://www.igorslab.de/en/microsoft-vereinfacht-rgb-steuerung-mit-dynamic-lighting-in-windows-11/

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Maybe my English is not perfect or do I read this correct? The Nvidia adaper dongle offer higher average voltage for the 12v rails than the fancy CableMod kit.... Do I read it wrong? From my understanding the Nvidia dongle offer less drop in 12v voltage. In short you pay more for less.

image.png.c40f7ee22084cc804b67dfef2f4450bc.png

These voltages look ok ?

Are they saying that drops in voltage are causing the cables to melt? If so, how does that make sense?

• Thumb Up 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Are they saying that drops in voltage are causing the cables to melt? If so, how does that make sense?

Minute voltage differences would have nothing to do with melting. I took a quick look at the link and I'm worried it's a case of much ado about nothing. They are not saying 'performance or stability suffers as a result of using this or that cable'.

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Higher drop in voltage just means the cable quality/build quality is lower. So pay more get less😎 Very low voltage (or below specs) indicate something is wrong. Or you just bougth the cheapest PSU you could find (often much cheaper for a reason). 

The fancy custom cables/adapters is for looks. But it won't provide much benefits over what you get with high quality PSU package. And if the CableMod custom cables offer lower 12v lowes (higher voltage drops), they offer even less. Is less more bro @Mr. Fox?

• Thumb Up 3

30 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Higher drop in voltage just means the cable quality/build quality is lower. So pay more get less😎 Very low voltage (or below specs) indicate something is wrong. Or you just bougth the cheapest PSU you could find (often much cheaper for a reason). 

The custom cables/adapters is for looks. But it won't provide much benefits over what you get with high quality PSUs. And if the CableMod cavles offer lower 12v lowes (higher voltage drops), they offer even less. Is less more bro @Mr. Fox?

Actually, you are right: they are reporting about 2.5% voltage drop vs the Nvidia adapter. Not ideal. At 450W it would be about 11W lost and dissipating somewhere in the cable. Hopefully not in a particular faulty spot, as 11W could probably do a bit of damage over a small area?

• Thumb Up 3

-- Max Tegmark

7 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Actually, you are right: they are reporting about 2.5% voltage drop vs the Nvidia adapter. Not ideal. At 450W it would be about 11W lost and dissipating somewhere in the cable. Hopefully not in a particular faulty spot, as 11W could probably do a bit of damage over a small area?

Probably not enough... But you didn't get what to expect for more money. At least, the custom cables should be on equal quality. Not less. I don't lke form over functionality. This was also one of the main reasons I jumped from laptops. 

• Thumb Up 3