NotebookTalk

cucubits

I hope I'm not overstepping here. My thought is to have a topic ready to go for folks to post site suggestions, requests, complaints, etc.

Might help if we keep these things tidy right from the start 🙂

For now I don't have any specific requests, I'm just extremely happy we'll have a dark mode. Lots of forums don't have this and it's very useful.

• Like 2

Domain name suggestion: notebookenthusiast.net

Originally suggested by "ssj92" on NBR but I have dropped the "s" on enthusiast, the name flows better without the "s". 🙂

Alienware M18x R2: i7-3740QM | RX 480 4GB
Alienware M17x R4: i7-3720QM | GTX 1060 6GB | 120Hz
Alienware Aurora R5: i7-6700K | GTX 1080 SLI | 64GB RAM
Alienware X51 R2: i7-4790 | ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo

Might be a small thing but I kind of wish we had a "thumbs up" rather than a "heart" icon for liking a post 😛

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

I think yesterday, this forum was showing when posts are edited ("Edited by user at time" at the bottom of the post).  It doesn't look like it is doing that anymore.  I do think that there is value in seeing that a post has been edited.

I would like to be able to make quick edits, within perhaps five minutes of the post going up, without the notice being shown.  I tend to post and then read it again and make quick edits.  However if the only options are show the notice "always" or "never", I'd rather have it "always".

[Edit] See?  I just had to make a quick edit to this one 🙂

[Edit 2] Actually there seems to be mixed behavior.  This post shows that it has been edited but this one does not (I edited the latter within the last hour, over 24 hours after it was posted).

[Edit 3] Test edit.

Edited by Aaron44126

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

33 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I think yesterday, this forum was showing when posts are edited ("Edited by user at time" at the bottom of the post).  It doesn't look like it is doing that anymore.  I do think that there is value in seeing that a post has been edited.

I would like to be able to make quick edits, within perhaps five minutes of the post going up, without the notice being shown.  I tend to post and then read it again and make quick edits.  However if the only options are show the notice "always" or "never", I'd rather have it "always".

[Edit 2] Actually there seems to be mixed behavior.  This post shows that it has been edited but this one does not (I edited the latter within the last hour, over 24 hours after it was posted).

From what I can gather, the choice is now given to the member, whilst they edit their post, to either show the fact the post was edited or conceal this fact.

efgxt_edit_info.png

Just now, katalin_2003 said:

From what I can gather, the choice is now given to the member, whilst they edit their post, to either show the fact the post was edited or conceal this fact.

OK, hmm, that is it.  I tested it by editing the post above.  I guess that option wasn't there yesterday?  I definitely didn't go out of my way to check it.

So I'm fine with this but I guess my suggestion would be to have this checkbox checked by default rather than unchecked by default.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Just now, Aaron44126 said:

OK, hmm, that is it.  I tested it by editing the post above.  I guess that option wasn't there yesterday?  I definitely didn't go out of my way to check it.

So I'm fine with this but I guess my suggestion would be to have this checkbox checked by default rather than unchecked by default.

I also agree with your last statement. A post can gather a ton of likes, showing members' endorsement and later have its content completely modified without any trace of it..

On previous forums, only us moderators could alter that information but we removed it for members. Too dangerous, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, katalin_2003 said:

I also agree with your last statement. A post can gather a ton of likes, showing members' endorsement and later have its content completely modified without any trace of it..

On previous forums, only us moderators could alter that information but we removed it for members. Too dangerous, in my opinion.

OK, makes sense.  Refining my suggestion.

Ideal situation: "Show that this message has been edited" should be available, and checked by default... but removed after some period of time (5-30 minutes?), and once it is removed the behavior should be the same as if it was checked.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Might be a small thing but I kind of wish we had a "thumbs up" rather than a "heart" icon for liking a post 😛

Absolutely! That's actually one of the things higher on the list. Additional Emoji will be added to this list to fit more types of "reactions" I've also been mulling over a "negative reaction" emoji but that will need special care to ensure abuse isn't possible.

3 hours ago, katalin_2003 said:

I already spent my reactions quota for today 😀

Can this be increased?

Yes!

image.png.1c812c0dba2b783cbebbd8d798196db1.png

I'll increase this to 20 for the moment however the whole points system does need a lot of adjustments. In the coming while there will be multiple group types for members with ability to "rank up" social aspects such as this. eg. Rank 1 | <100 points or something: 10 reactions/day 10mb storage for images Rank 2 | <200 points | : 20 reactions/day 15mb storage.... But this is something that will be done at a later time.

2 hours ago, katalin_2003 said:

2 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

[Edit 3] Test edit.

As it stands: members currently have unlimited time to edit their posts while everyone figures out how to adjust. I kept it open for now to ensure that everyone can post everything they need, HOWEVER I don't want to see karma farming then have posts completely edited/changed. Moderator tools have the ability to see all edits, though it may still be better to put a hard limit after a while. In the future additional permissions can be given to group(s) or member(s) to edit certain areas of the forum or perhaps down the pipeline they can be escalated to an "article" (static pages).

image.thumb.png.630f0a8b31d404265a71f2902e82ffed.png

I feel for the time being this tool will be keeping people "honest". or at least can be checked to see if they are 😉

2 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

OK, makes sense.  Refining my suggestion.

Ideal situation: "Show that this message has been edited" should be available, and checked by default... but removed after some period of time (5-30 minutes?), and once it is removed the behavior should be the same as if it was checked.

I can definitely look into getting this tweaked! But this solution will require some back end modifications.

I think for the moment this will have to be put on the back-burner until higher priority items get sorted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cucubits said:

For now I don't have any specific requests, I'm just extremely happy we'll have a dark mode. Lots of forums don't have this and it's very useful.

Maybe you noticed this already, but to anyone who didn't —

A dark mode has been available since the start.  Go to the very bottom of any page, click the "Theme" drop down, and select "Inverted".  I've been using it all day and I like it pretty well.  (Maybe this is an auto-generated one off of the default theme but it doesn't seem to choose bad colors or anything as far as I can tell.)

[Edit] Looks like the "Bravo 6" theme is also dark.  It's more gray and the "Inverted" theme has more dark blue colors in it.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

4 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

A dark mode has been available since the start.  Go to the very bottom of any page, click the "Theme" drop down, and select "Inverted".  I've been using it all day and I like it pretty well.  (Maybe this is an auto-generated one off of the default theme but it doesn't seem to choose bad colors or anything as far as I can tell.)

[Edit] Looks like the "Bravo 6" theme is also dark.  It's more gray and the "Inverted" theme has more dark blue colors in it.

Yep, I found the switch eventually and yes, I also ended up on the Bravo 6 theme. My eyes were so happy when I hit it for the first time. White pages should be banned :))

• Thumb Up 2

7 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

Inverted is the default white theme I manually modified quickly to make it serviceable. Bravo6 is just another theme I've installed. I think its looking a bit better, but kind of bland as is.  When I get a bit more time we can start making tweaks, changing colours, or just getting a new theme altogether. The goal is to get a theme or several themes that everyone enjoys (without using something like dark reader). The only issue with themes not based on stock would be different UI elements which could end up being confusing to people.

As a side note we can also do some CSS editing to move whichever UI elements we like.

Sweet, we have Thumbs up icons now!

Not sure how I feel about the Thumbs down ones... I've seen abuse on other forums and in the end it's generally not worth it. If someone disagrees, it's probably better to make them write their reasoning instead of just thumbs down on a post.

• Thumb Up 2

7 minutes ago, cucubits said:

Sweet, we have Thumbs up icons now!

Not sure how I feel about the Thumbs down ones... I've seen abuse on other forums and in the end it's generally not worth it. If someone disagrees, it's probably better to make them write their reasoning instead of just thumbs down on a post.

I was thinking the same thing, nothing get contributed when someone does that without a post to back up the negative point. However I suppose there can always be arguments both ways. I'm taking it off and probably make a poll about it later instead.

hi, can you make more visible the number of total registered users, new users and related types of metrics to the bottom/footing of the home or even better to every page? I know that there's somewhere a section to look that up, but it will help to make a good first impression (looking at competing forums that info is right at the bottom) to newcomers 😄

There so many gaming forums here, and I strongly recommend collapsing the separate gaming forums into a single forum as it exists on NBR. The gaming forum on NBR has already been slow in its final days, and having so many gaming forums will spread out gaming conversations and make participation less convenient and more diffuse, and increase confusion as to which forum a particular thread should be in--decreasing the likelihood that people will see and participate.

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" NP940X5N - 15.0" 1080p IPS glossy touchscreen | Intel Coffeelake i7-8550U CPU | AMD Radeon 540 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8625 | S Pen

MSI GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro - 14" 1080p IPS matte screen | Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ CPU | nVidia Pascal GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8260 | Thunderbolt 3 port | IC Diamond Thermal Compound on CPU + GPU

Would be nice to have a 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' section. I think it's quite valuable for people who don't quite know what to buy for a given use-case and/or price.

The 'template' for new posts could probably be taken as-is from the old NBR forum in the same section - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/what-should-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.29271/.

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

4 hours ago, Ionising_Radiation said:

Does EFGXT have Tapatalk integration? If not, that would be very welcome. The mobile site looks pretty nice already, but I am just quite used to the Tapatalk interface.

I'm mostly on board for Tapatalk integration for those who want it. I've already looked into this subject, and have it prepped for deployment. I'll take another good look at it tonight in case there's any weird hidden conditions associated with it, though I don't expect any thing to come up.

• Thumb Up 1