NotebookTalk

cucubits

51 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I hadn't thought very hard about it but you are right, the editorial content (reviews) that NBR used to have probably helped a lot to build the user base up, especially early on before there was so much in-depth tech stuff in the forums.

In NBR's early days Andrew Baxter used to publish user reviews which varied extensively in terms of detail. This later evolved into standardised reviews which lacked the perspectives of individual users. A further feature of the earlier NBR reviews was that there was an associated thread for discussion of each review where readers could give their own comments or ask questions. I found this very beneficial as comments often enhanced the initial review.

Building links into the NBRarchive will help the search engines bring people here. One of my pending tasks is to build some sticky threads for the Samsung sub-forum based on the old NBR sticky threads (list here) linking to the contents (here). It's largely a matter of copying something like this and rebuilding the links. It should provide an example of what can be done in the other parts of the forum.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

This isn't a suggestion but maybe a technical anomoly notice? Or something.

When I navigate to www.notebooktalk.net I get an error.

An error occurred (500 Error)
We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

No such file or directory

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

Try again

The standard efgxt.net seems to be working fine as I am posting here now. Just noticed today when I used my saved bookmark to try and visit the site. 

PowerSpec 1720 (PB70EF-G) | i7-8750H | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | RTX 2070 8GB 115W | 144Hz G-SYNC 

Spoiler

-163 mV core & cache | 15-18-18-36 1T @ 1.35V | 1905MHz @ .975mV & 1950MHz GDDR6
Disabled: TVB, VMX Stress, RDB, HDC
Tuned with: ThrottleStop, MSi Afterburner | TIM: SYY 157

wltgj7-2.png

Insyde H2OUVE BIOS Unlock | CB R20 - 3172 | CB R23 - 8164/1105 | CPU Prof. Max - 4702

We have added a better note, so when you see that link now it will provide some context. We are making some preparations to make the domain change but also taking the opportunity to lower some costs. Naturally that means making sure things run just as well as before we make that the live instance.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 4:55 AM, cucubits said:

Thanks for the tips! I was actually just reading about LibreOffice when I remembered to check back here. For some reason the forum didn't show me any notifications of replies here.

On 3/26/2022 at 12:20 PM, RS4 said:

Do post your views and choice after checking out these software's. The forum did not show any notification as you are not "following" this topic, check the button on the top right.

On 3/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, cucubits said:

Thanks! Yeah, that was unchecked. I had assumed I followed it automatically since I created it.

I've just had the same issue as cucubits. I would have assumed I would get notifications for people replying to a thread I created. Is there any way to enable this by default (still keeping the option to disable it again)?

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 11:01 PM, Reciever said:

I believe you may need to re-enable the push notification as previously the permission was made under efgxt.net, the forum is now NoteBookTalk.net so the permissions previously established may not be applied to the new domain.

I just meant the normal notifications under the bell icon at top right of page. I don't use any kind of push notifications.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, Ishatix said:

I just meant the normal notifications under the bell icon at top right of page. I don't use any kind of push notifications.

It seems like we had another user who had an issue with his settings being cleared out, it hasnt been reported since so it may be that when we switched the servers something got lost in translation. 

Please do let us know if you continue having issues.

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Ishatix said:

Probably the results of old polls should still be visible at least?

Seems reasonable, ill add it to the action list.

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another minor technical anomaly I've just noticed is that the forum claims it cannot support mp4 files, but then they do actually get uploaded and work:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.da1f6e8cf03d639f34a088fa6c47c2aa.png

Also, I can't see any way to cancel the upload process. You have to wait until the upload completes before the "x" appeared to delete the attachment.

They also seem to display in the chat box at a rather large size, in this case much larger than the resolution of the source video:
https://notebooktalk.net/topic/105-the-random-thread/?do=findComment&comment=8070&_rid=111

It would be nice if we could set a smaller window size for meme videos :)

..And even more minor – pasting in the .png screenshot above (via drag and drop in this case) gives the "pasted as rich text format" message.

• 3 months later...

It's a really minor thing, but the "Recently Browsing" section at the bottom of the home page has never shown anyone else but myself in it for me, even though I can see many others in the "Online" section. If it doesn't work for anyone else either, would it be better to simply remove it?

image.png.0ac54d1001364231679aa05bb0a83bf3.png

Also, I noticed in the thread about posting images that we can resize them by double clicking on them. I had never noticed that before – it's great! Maybe worth adding to a "HowTo" article at some point?

• Thumb Up 1

19 hours ago, Reciever said:

To my understanding, thats not resizing but viewing the native picture. 

Regarding the recently browsing, I will check into that this weekend, its on my action list :) 

Many thanks, and no rush!

And no I did mean the resizing functionality that pops up when you double click on an image in the composition window:

image.thumb.png.1bd01ec198fb7a643a05c1e053d2df3a.png

Both of the previous two images I have posted would have come out way too large otherwise (e.g. I changed the above to a width of 400). It's a very useful hidden feature! The alt text option there is also great for accessibility if we can manage to make the effort to make use of it.

1 hour ago, Ishatix said:

Many thanks, and no rush!

And no I did mean the resizing functionality that pops up when you double click on an image in the composition window:

image.thumb.png.1bd01ec198fb7a643a05c1e053d2df3a.png

Both of the previous two images I have posted would have come out way too large otherwise (e.g. I changed the above to a width of 400). It's a very useful hidden feature! The alt text option there is also great for accessibility if we can manage to make the effort to make use of it.

Oh you are referring to when making a post? Most of the discussion in that thread to my knowledge was for when viewing posts the pictures were being compressed iirc

43 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Oh you are referring to when making a post? Most of the discussion in that thread to my knowledge was for when viewing posts the pictures were being compressed iirc

Yes exactly. I've just discovered that you can also bring up that menu by CTRL-Right-clicking on the image and selecting "Edit Image".

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Reciever said:

I think the limit is either 50 or 75 at the moment 

Neither makes any sense to me from the usability perspective TBH. Guess there might be a technical reason (DB load), which would be fair enough.

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

36 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Neither makes any sense to me from the usability perspective TBH. Guess there might be a technical reason (DB load), which would be fair enough.

With the current reactions available on this forum, limiting this does not make any sense indeed.

I'd assume such a limit would make sense if negative reactions exist to avoid mass downvoting and similar stupid feuds.

18 minutes ago, cucubits said:

With the current reactions available on this forum, limiting this does not make any sense indeed.

I'd assume such a limit would make sense if negative reactions exist to avoid mass downvoting and similar stupid feuds.

We disabled those before opening the forum. 

While my cohost Hiew simply didnt want negative bandwagons (which is fair), I had similar reasoning in that, anything critical should be handled constructively in each members respective posts via dialogue. I am of the opinion that if you cant be bothered to defend your position via dialogue its a position not worth defending, by extension if you cant be bothered to construct your own criticism towards a particular idea then people probably dont want to hear it anyways.

Anything that cant be resolved or degenerates into a "shouting match" can be resolved with a report. 

I just made it home and will look at the what the limitations are set at for "reactions" though to be completely transparent I personally wanted to reinstitute a "REP" system but as far as I can tell there is no means currently built into the forum software to easily allow that, which is a huge bummer personally. "Reactions" are the best we can do without hiring someone to facilitate that for us and right now with no ads and paying out of pocket we have to keep the "Scope of the Project" limited to what we can do ourselves.

A bit off topic for this thread but it should serve as context. If no posts are made I will edit this post with the limit setting.

EDIT: Have bumped up to 75 for now. Will likely increase again in the near future just need to get a changelog going for the next announcement. 

The setting has been mostly fine but it has bumped heads with some of our more frequent users so its been on my mind, mostly because what I stated above. Which is why I liked the NBR system of "like" and separate "value" for "rep".

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 months later...

lol oh ok I hear ya. I want to thank you again for bringing NBR back from the dead your doing a Awesome job and its really appreciated. hopefully we end up bigger than NBR, never know 😛

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, ryan said:

lol oh ok I hear ya. I want to thank you again for bringing NBR back from the dead your doing a Awesome job and its really appreciated. hopefully we end up bigger than NBR, never know 😛

I agree! 

@Reciever @Hiew

• Thumb Up 2

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

• 3 months later...

I also want to thank you for bringing NBR back from the dead. But, I have a wish for future upgrade to this forum....When I click on a forum topic that I had visited previously, it always takes me to the top of the page so I have to scroll and scroll to find the last read item.  Some forums that I visit take me to the next item that was new so that I don't have to search for the lastest posting. Otherwise, much thanks for all the hard work and effort you are doing to keep this forum up and running.

• Thumb Up 2