NotebookTalk

cucubits

2 hours ago, Samir said:

Mod edit: please take advantage if the multi-quote functions 🙂

Sorry about that!  Not used to using them since they suck on every other forum I've been on.  The feature on here is quite nice and I have to remember that.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere already or not, but the current rules of the marketplace section mean that nobody can sell anything currently, or for a long while.

• Thanks 1

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

Just now, Reciever said:

You want to partake in the marketplace in this community, going to need to have some skin in the game.  :classic_smile:

Well, yeah, but I was just pointing that out.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, Aaron44126 said:

I like this one ... (think about it for a second)

image.png.deebf8d1e093f8a9b2617f47acd93f61.png

Courtesy of this awesome site which uses every possible bad web design technique.

I cant remember who put it on the Old forum but this one still makes me laugh

sniper1.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 2

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

Is it possible to add (optional?) markdown support in the editor?

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

19 minutes ago, serpro69 said:

Is it possible to add (optional?) markdown support in the editor?

I wish I could upvote twice. Markdown support would be phenomenal. If so, hopefully we choose a flavour of Markdown that is as comprehensive as possible, perhaps GitHub-flavoured Markdown + inline LaTeX support (so maybe something like math.stackexchange). 

2 hours ago, Ionising_Radiation said:

perhaps GitHub-flavoured Markdown + inline LaTeX support (so maybe something like math.stackexchange). 

Not sure how 'LaTeX' would be used on this forum, we don't really deal with formulas that much here :)

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

14 minutes ago, Reciever said:

We went with Invisionboard because of the modularity that possible with it, no guarantees of course but I will put it on the list and see if it's viable for us here.

phpBB is a lot better than Invision when it comes to extensions. If this board were using phpBB, it would take 3 minutes to add markdown.

1 minute ago, K4sum1 said:

phpBB is a lot better than Invision when it comes to extensions. If this board were using phpBB, it would take 3 minutes to add markdown.

This forum isn't phpbb, so it's irrelevant for this thread.

If you would like to make a review of each product I would be interested in reading it. However, it doesn't belong here.

58 minutes ago, K4sum1 said:

phpBB is quite frankly FAR from "a lot better" than invision. phpBB is great, and its open source which is also great, but that comes with a few caveats like not having a professionally developed software with people that will answer in a very timely manner if there's a problem, regular updates, and a complete suite of software we don't need to tinker with. (What happens if one of the many plugins we would need to use is no longer updated?) I've spent countless hours in the past using all sorts of open source software (I daily drive linux, and will always use open source software where there's merit). I'm not about to spend hours on the back-end getting it to where IPB is stock, keep in mind this is something I do in my free time...

invision does indeed support markdown and is quite easy to add as well. https://ckeditor.com/cke4/addon/markdown

Anyway, it seems like instead of complaining or saying I like X forum better it would reflect better on yourself to do some research and maybe ask for it instead? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, K4sum1 said:

Because no forum has this stock, it just depends on which platform has a plug-in.  Amazingly ipb has one so that request must be pretty popular and is probably available on the other platforms as well.

Choosing a board platform is almost transparent to the user as you can make any forum behave like another, but it is critical for the admin of a site that needs to think of the long term development and longevity of the site.  There is never a single 'right' answer for a forum choice, just what is right for the site owner.  It's like saying that a single type of car is the only 'right' one.

• Thumb Up 1

32 minutes ago, Hiew said:

(What happens if one of the many plugins we would need to use is no longer updated?)

You look at the forum and patch it. Not as hard as you think.

33 minutes ago, Hiew said:

invision does indeed support markdown and is quite easy to add as well. https://ckeditor.com/cke4/addon/markdown

I like how you linked an addon last updated in 2015.

8 minutes ago, K4sum1 said:

You look at the forum and patch it. Not as hard as you think.

I like how you linked an addon last updated in 2015.

If you've admined a site before, you wouldn't say that.

If you've admined a site before, you wouldn't say that (plugins don't spoil with age)

I'd be careful how you post or you may be considered the first troll on this site, lol.

If you add functionality you need to find a way to maintain it. If you then find the dev is no longer updating and would like to remove this functionality you also have to ensure it won't break other functions of the forum.

Anyway I'm not arguing the point anymore as this is no longer productive, and is now wasting my time. Quite frankly it seems you're just here to argue rather than help.

24 minutes ago, Samir said:

Choosing a board platform is almost transparent to the user as you can make any forum behave like another

If you can get Invision on to function on par with phpBB when using Firefox 3.6.28, I will give you $0.00

11 minutes ago, Reciever said:

@K4sum1

Would you like to suggest something else that works with this forum software? 

Well, I don't know much about Invision addons (other than a lot are paid), but I recommend using Google, or DuckDuckGo if that's more your thing.

10 minutes ago, Samir said:

If you've admined a site before, you wouldn't say that.

https://board.eclipse.cx/

Also, I was only pointing it out since the post specifically mentioned outdated addons. If something updated in 2021 or 2022 was posted, I wouldn't have replied.

9 minutes ago, Hiew said:

Anyway I'm not arguing the point anymore as this is no longer productive, and is now wasting my time. Quite frankly it seems you're just here to argue rather than help.

This is impossible to say without being rude, but you don't need to argue. I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out things.

3 minutes ago, K4sum1 said:

If you can get Invision on to function on par with phpBB when using Firefox 3.6.28, I will give you $0.00

Well, I don't know much about Invision, but I recommend using Google, or DuckDuckGo if that's more your thing.

https://board.eclipse.cx/

Also, I was only pointing it out since the post specifically mentioned outdated addons. If something updated in 2021 or 2022 was posted, I wouldn't have replied.

This is impossible to say without being rude, but you don't need to argue. I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out things.

If you have such criticism for a software you admit yourself "dont know much about" then I would recommend the same advise you, yourself, dont seem follow despite recommending to others. Hone your argument so you can critique something in a productive manner.

Just like in the other posts that I have had to curtail on your behalf, as you seem to selectively follow the rules here. A lot of your criticisms that you have pointed towards Invisionboard are a direct reflection on decisions made by the Admins on this forum. This goes without saying, but I will lay it out regardless that this means a majority of the issues you claim to have with Invision are in fact issues with decisions made by myself and @Hiew while still pointing towards Invision in ignorance.

Without allowing the thread to get derailed here, Markdown is on the feature requests since CKeditor no longer has a maintained markup plugin. In the meantime BBCode and rich text editing will have to suffice.

As much as I'd love for IPB to be perfect it isn't, however phpbb and other forum software didn't fit the bill for the reasons outlined in my post above.

1 minute ago, Reciever said:

If you have such criticism for a software you admit yourself "dont know much about" then I would recommend the same advise you, yourself, dont seem follow despite recommending to others. Hone your argument so you can critique something in a productive manner.

I had edited the post since I realized how that sounded. What I had meant was that I haven't done much research into what addons exist for Invision, and I edited the post after I had posted to reflect that better.

Also Invision isn't something I can just quickly grab and test, I would have to drop about $250 for just the forum software. About the same amount of money I would spend on hosting for my phpBB board for 4-5 years assuming the price stays the same. I could just yarr harr it, but it's something that is hosted online, and hosting an illegal copy of forum software seems like a good way to get caught.

9 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Just like in the other posts that I have had to curtail on your behalf, as you seem to selectively follow the rules here. A lot of your criticisms that you have pointed towards Invisionboard are a direct reflection on decisions made by the Admins on this forum. This goes without saying, but I will lay it out regardless that this means a majority of the issues you claim to have with Invision are in fact issues with decisions made by myself and @Hiew while still pointing towards Invision in ignorance.

The rules are currently buried in the marketplace. I did take a look at them, but I either stopped because it is college essay length, or the rule banning profanity was edited in after the fact. I don't know which. (probably the former)

My main gripes are with functions of the software (and sometimes the people that use it, which is also why I hate things like MEE6, YAGPBD, and whatever else, even though they technically did nothing wrong, it's just something that I can easily blame) Invision does actually have some aspects of it that I dislike, but people never care, so I won't go into why. Go dig it up the NBR archive if you are bothered enough to want to know.

3 minutes ago, K4sum1 said:

I had edited the post since I realized how that sounded. What I had meant was that I haven't done much research into what addons exist for Invision, and I edited the post after I had posted to reflect that better.

Also Invision isn't something I can just quickly grab and test, I would have to drop about $250 for just the forum software. About the same amount of money I would spend on hosting for my phpBB board for 4-5 years assuming the price stays the same. I could just yarr harr it, but it's something that is hosted online, and hosting an illegal copy of forum software seems like a good way to get caught.

The rules are currently buried in the marketplace. I did take a look at them, but I either stopped because it is college essay length, or the rule banning profanity was edited in after the fact. I don't know which. (probably the former)

My main gripes are with functions of the software (and sometimes the people that use it, which is also why I hate things like MEE6, YAGPBD, and whatever else, even though they technically did nothing wrong, it's just something that I can easily blame) Invision does actually have some aspects of it that I dislike, but people never care, so I won't go into why. Go dig it up the NBR archive if you are bothered enough to want to know.

The rules have been the same since before this forums inception. The PG aspect of this forum was inherited by NBR which such a determination years before this forum's inception. 

Also, you agreed to the terms when signing up for the forum, which are linked in the Terms of Service when creating an account. Which is hosted in a couple of location , one you described in your post and one other.

See here:  https://efgxt.net/terms/

You can demo Invision for 14 days. 
See here: https://invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/demo/

This by definition, is something you can grab and test.