NotebookTalk

cucubits

Im kinda liking the name Efgxt.net.....Ef-Gext.

Sounds like swearing at someone in Polish or Romanian or something.

(But I live in Japan now so trying to wrap my mouth around letters that dont resemble any word I could even try to imagine is...normal):classic_wacko:

• Haha 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

4 hours ago, Eban said:

Im kinda liking the name Efgxt.net.....Ef-Gext.

Sounds like swearing at someone in Polish or Romanian or something.

(But I live in Japan now so trying to wrap my mouth around letters that dont resemble any word I could even try to imagine is...normal):classic_wacko:

😆 I don't know about Polish but I speak Romanian and I can't find a swear word close enough

I do like the name as it is too, but I'm afraid if we don't change it to something notebook/laptop/NBR related, we'll miss out on new folks joining.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:23 PM, Aaron44126 said:

Maybe you noticed this already, but to anyone who didn't —

A dark mode has been available since the start.  Go to the very bottom of any page, click the "Theme" drop down, and select "Inverted".  I've been using it all day and I like it pretty well.  (Maybe this is an auto-generated one off of the default theme but it doesn't seem to choose bad colors or anything as far as I can tell.)

[Edit] Looks like the "Bravo 6" theme is also dark.  It's more gray and the "Inverted" theme has more dark blue colors in it.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:38 PM, Hiew said:

Inverted is the default white theme I manually modified quickly to make it serviceable. Bravo6 is just another theme I've installed. I think its looking a bit better, but kind of bland as is.  When I get a bit more time we can start making tweaks, changing colours, or just getting a new theme altogether. The goal is to get a theme or several themes that everyone enjoys (without using something like dark reader). The only issue with themes not based on stock would be different UI elements which could end up being confusing to people.

As a side note we can also do some CSS editing to move whichever UI elements we like.

Ha! I hadn't noticed that the Bravo 6 theme had been added, which is nice, but I think the inverted theme which I've been using from the start is still my favourite. Maybe I am simply used to it now, but good job on putting it together so quickly :thumbs-up-100:

...So the "thumbs up" emoji here looks giant in the message composition box. Let's see how it comes out when posted, but might be something that needs tweaking.

Also, would it be possible to move the formatting toolbar from the top to the bottom of the composition box. Since the text you are typing tends to be on the bottom, it is more convenient that way, and tends to get scrolled off the top out of reach with longer messages.

Finally, a "Preview" option like we had on NBR would be very useful for seeing how a post will come out before actually posting it. Saves on a lot of messing around with going back to edit it and re-post etc.

14 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I'll have another batch going up on Monday.  Right now the focus is just on pulling down as much as we can, it's sort of hard for me to keep up with what is coming in.

(...And there's a "thumbs up" button in the corner of every post :-P)

I've noticed a few people reacting with thumbs ups, but I for one haven't seen an option to do so, and I'm guessing @Samir didn't either given his post above the quoted one.  Which corner is it supposed to be in/can someone who sees it post a screenshot?  I've checked the "..." menu in the upper right, and see the "+" for Multi-Quote in the lower-left, and if someone has a signature there's an "x" down-arrow "Ignore signature preferences" in the lower-right... but no sign of a thumbs-up button anywhere.

Edit: Found it:  There's no user interface element for it with the default theme.  The arrow in the screenshot below shows where to click:

image.thumb.png.e42c83e5d551333663fd4eb1885775fa.png

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

30 minutes ago, mujtaba said:

Have you though of any names for the forum? I thought of Notebook/Laptop + Some word denoting knowledge/community. That would help immensely with SEO/discovery.

This is discussed in this post which everyone should check out –

https://efgxt.net/topic/111-its-time-to-clear-the-air-first-orders-of-business/#comment-462

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

The emoji button has a drop-down for all the emoji. We currently have two different sizes 👍 and :thumbs-up-100: (100px)

emojisize.png.d0dd1700b1a44092f69d06774e26439b.png

While typing you can get a choice of emoji by pressing colon ":" followed by the emoji, it will bring up a list 👍 | example:

image.png.ad58cd2b7db8de953953dac12a24bcce.png

In regard to the reactions, I only now notice that it doesn't show the thumb due to the background being white. I'll have to fix it. As @Sandy Bridge has pointed out that is the location for the reactions and is still technically there, only its the same colour as the background. (the dark themes show the correct icon)

We already have a preview button with a bunch of features, albeit its in a weird location by default.

preview.thumb.png.81217bdbe5d6ccde24d89b1af8a11877.png

I'll see what I can do about having another theme or something with the toolbar at the bottom of the text box.

4 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

I've noticed a few people reacting with thumbs ups, but I for one haven't seen an option to do so, and I'm guessing @Samir didn't either given his post above the quoted one.  Which corner is it supposed to be in/can someone who sees it post a screenshot?  I've checked the "..." menu in the upper right, and see the "+" for Multi-Quote in the lower-left, and if someone has a signature there's an "x" down-arrow "Ignore signature preferences" in the lower-right... but no sign of a thumbs-up button anywhere.

Edit: Found it:  There's no user interface element for it with the default theme.  The arrow in the screenshot below shows where to click:

image.thumb.png.e42c83e5d551333663fd4eb1885775fa.png

Yep, it was only thanks to your post that I found this.  I hate design elements like this and that was one of the nice things about the existing NBR forum--clear, defined places to click and for what with no mystery.  I know a lot of forum systems are moving away from that to present a 'clean' look.  But a clean look starts to become a pita when you're having to hunt for what to click or wasting time clicking 3 times to get to what you want.

• Thumb Up 1

Yep just noticed this, at some point here we will need to make a sub-forum that expands on suggestions for members to formally display how certain elements dont jive or simply dont work.

Its good that is also pointed out here, but I fear it could get lost in the noise when a specific function is being articulated.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

Yep just noticed this, at some point here we will need to make a sub-forum that expands on suggestions for members to formally display how certain elements dont jive or simply dont work.

Its good that is also pointed out here, but I fear it could get lost in the noise when a specific function is being articulated.

Agreed, but nothing to worry about atm with the archive the current focus for most of us.  You can always split this thread into various threads based on the topic to 'sort it out' later. 😉

Another detail to add is that its present in dark mode (the thumbs up) but in the default it seems to share the same color as its background for me.

Archive is looking to be wrapped up with the end of NBR coming, so we will be able to more carefully look at some elements here on the forum for review.

• Thumb Up 1

In the future I'm sure it wont be hard to add an actual button next to submit reply or something like they used to have! I completely agree with the oversimplification of things too. Removing functionality for a 'clean' look isn't something I enjoy, you can bet I'll be testing moving elements around on the page.

• Thumb Up 2

13 hours ago, Hiew said:

The emoji button has a drop-down for all the emoji. We currently have two different sizes 👍 ..... <snip>

This is brilliant! Thank you for the detailed reply Hiew. The colon shortcut and the preview with the different device options are really great. 👍

I noticed likes are limited--when I read a bunch of posts and like them, I would like to 'like' them too.  I've noticed this as a trend in some forum softwares, but I never hit any limits on the old NBR with the like feature.

3 hours ago, RS4 said:

Can we get the forum structure of the NBR here? With all manufacturer's name aligned vertically and windows/Linux/ etc separated ? Also missing is sub-forum of Security softwares.

Manufacturers are aligned vertically within the Manufacturers sub-forum, as well as operating systems having their own sub-forums under software. Looking at Software, it looks like there is potential for refinement.

2 hours ago, Samir said:

I noticed likes are limited--when I read a bunch of posts and like them, I would like to 'like' them too.  I've noticed this as a trend in some forum softwares, but I never hit any limits on the old NBR with the like feature.

The difference as it stands currently is likes also contribute to REP, removing the limit leaves it open to abuse. I dont believe we intend to keep this as is, long term. As we had other priorities that were time sensitive.

Maybe we can get a "post your build" under the desktop section? I know this is a laptop forum, but some desktop love never hurt anyone 🙂

• Thanks 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

53 minutes ago, Custom90gt said:

Maybe we can get a "post your build" under the desktop section? I know this is a laptop forum, but some desktop love never hurt anyone 🙂

This is one of the reasons why I put the Notebook Manufacturers into a sub-forum. I would like to expand other genre's into the forum as many users here have a desktops or simply have opinions they would like to share that wouldnt fit in the purely laptop category. 

For now if you want to open a thread in the desktop sub-forum just to get the ball rolling then we may have it moved into a dedicated spot after we spend more time figuring out structure :)

• Thumb Up 1

I was wondering about how to stop the "new device login" email spam. I don't save cookies etc history upon browser exit ever. I didn't see an obvious way to turn those off other than all email traffic turn off.

Edit: Scratch that: even turning off all email correspondence doesn't turn off those notifications.

Edited by Hertzian56
  • Thumb Up 1

Hi,

Two little quirks I've just noticed:

1.  There is some small issue with PNG attachments. E.g. see: https://efgxt.net/uploads/monthly_2022_02/Taskbar.png.f262adc0d533446c1b2fca34b737cd4d.png  The original image file is 87 kB and perfectly sharp (being a screenshot from a high dpi display). Whereas the downscaled and fuzzy forum uploaded version here is 122 kB. So there is something rather inefficient going on here.
  2.  On certain (popular?) threads like this one: https://efgxt.net/topic/104-notebook-review-forum-archive-–-nbrchive/ There is some kind of overview box on the right hand side. It uses up a lot of screen width for the entire rest of the page. Maybe there is something useful to it once we get to the stage of really long threads. But would it be possible to make it collapsible, or alternatively only show it on the first page of the thread? Or if neither of those are possible simply to increase the size of thread required before it kicks in as a last resort??

Thanks for reading and no rush as always to look into any of these very minor points!

Not sure if its cke used for WYSIWYG functionality but is it possible to add/edit features?;

• Tables with cell edit functions
  • Undo - Redo button
  • Embed plugin for youtube video and other services
  • Change default behavior of new line to simply make a new line + paragraph and not a new line + paragraph with a slight vertical space
    I keep using shift+enter to save space when I'm posting
    Like this:
    spacer.png
  • Thumb Up 2

Just now, unnoticed said:

Not sure if its cke used for WYSIWYG functionality but is it possible to add/edit features?;

I noticed that if you paste in a YouTube video URL it automatically embeds it.  (A notice pops up at the bottom that you can click to turn it back to a regular link.)

I'd love to see a table/cell editor as well.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Thanks for pointing out the details guys! Without you we wouldn't be able to catch certain things due to either my or Hiews use habits.

I do ask that you have patience with us as we had to put quite a few things on hold IRL in order to make what we have at the moment before Nbr was taken from us. I assure you all that we will be looking into every post made here as soon as we can.

• Like 2