NotebookTalk

cucubits

There is actually different vision for that but in order to not have it abused it opened up a torrent of work and so we had to put it back down for now until we catch up irl.

I would like to have curated news again but also allow for people to post news in relevant threads. The issue stems from prioritizing the relevant thread or the curated section. We have figured out a way to allow for it to appear in both.

However this can be ripe for abuse so immediately what followed was discussion on how to "punish" members. I don't like the climate in social media where you are banished forever. I would like to have systems in place to bring people back or grant functions again.

That subject was fresh but I ran out of time and had to start moving and try to have it wrapped up before the snow started coming in.

I'm sorry but this is just hilarious. but! it might be of relevance to this forum, is there some sort of bot/spam protection in place here? I'm not that versed in this topic so I humbly ask. I don't want to be chased by horny bots in here, but clearly over there are having a good time. 

858907000_Screenshot2022-02-03105157.thumb.jpg.03ab9684f2b9e4b5a9696929b4bfcdf9.jpg

• Haha 4

yeah def a bad sign, I'm also concerned that the nbr-er who was in charge of it kind of disappeared to comments in those last days and I can't see him or his UN over there, you would think it would be front and center. Still there are people there I still want to interact with, plenty of people joined that who seem to have abandoned it now for efgxt and/or nb-r, he really was quick on the draw and it was the first place to go w no alternatives at the time. 

4 hours ago, duskw4lker said:

I'm sorry but this is just hilarious. but! it might be of relevance to this forum, is there some sort of bot/spam protection in place here? I'm not that versed in this topic so I humbly ask. I don't want to be chased by horny bots in here, but clearly over there are having a good time. 

858907000_Screenshot2022-02-03105157.thumb.jpg.03ab9684f2b9e4b5a9696929b4bfcdf9.jpg

Yep! I'm personally not aware of the details but we do have some measures in place to prevent spam from making it to the forums.

Of course though if it does bleed through please report it

• Bump 1

3 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

yeah def a bad sign, I'm also concerned that the nbr-er who was in charge of it kind of disappeared to comments in those last days and I can't see him or his UN over there, you would think it would be front and center. Still there are people there I still want to interact with, plenty of people joined that who seem to have abandoned it now for efgxt and/or nb-r, he really was quick on the draw and it was the first place to go w no alternatives at the time. 

I signed up for all three (as all should do during these transitional times), but I must admit I've all but abandoned going there now in a meaningful capacity and stick primarily with Spartan's notebook-review.com site and here.

• Thumb Up 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 980 1TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Samsung G7 43" 4k mLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel: i5-12400 | Asus Prime B660 | PowerColor HellHound 7900XTX | 32GB DDR4  G.Skill 3333 |  512GB M.2 | Gamdias | BenQ 32" 4k

3 hours ago, electrosoft said:

I signed up for all three (as all should do during these transitional times), but I must admit I've all but abandoned going there now in a meaningful capacity and stick primarily with Spartan's notebook-review.com site and here.

This is pretty much the only fair means to evaluate each solution.

Let's say even if there was a litany of issues with the other presented solutions and this forum was functionally perfect (its not, but for sake of argument), if I had a wildly different view of what NBR should be it makes it all moot anyways. The only way to determine that is to spend some time on each forum. Which is why despite my reservations of John's character I bite my lip and keep my opinions to myself. As for Spartans forum I really do hope they get things rolling soon. Maybe our differences could attract people we may otherwise wouldn't, who knows!

I prefer open source just like most sensible people, including Hiew and I'm sure many of you as well. The issue with it is if you need something outside of what is available out of the box the time frame to complete said task is unacceptably long and vague. Under optimal scenario it might of worked but we needed something immediately that was also modular so we could adjust to what the community wants to have in place as well as fulfill my desire of database backups, themes, user specific configurations.

We already had a forum running when he was shilling his option in my thread, but we kept it to a limited release for testing purposes before fully releasing that Sunday afternoon.

• Thumb Up 2

18 hours ago, Reciever said:

Yep! I'm personally not aware of the details but we do have some measures in place to prevent spam from making it to the forums.

Of course though if it does bleed through please report it

There are some global blacklists for spambots.

• Bump 1

Spam on forums has always been an issue and over the years there have been various ways to combat it from captcha to solve, question and answers to solve (works really well if its very genre specific), and an introduction forum with moderated threads.  Each as its pros and cons and are different on each forum platform.  So far, I don't see anything getting through here so that's a good sign, and I'm sure efforts will ramp up if need be to keep mod work in this area to a minimum. :)

I feel that there's a subforum missing: News regarding the big companies, Nvidia, AMD, ARM, etc, or the latest in drivers/new tech/announced tech by those that applies to both desktop and lappy. I can't remember exactly which subforum (the structure I mean) was before.

I miss so much @Papusan letting us know the latest in 'how can we mess it up even further while keep milking their pockets dry' or 'here, have an update, new is better isn't it?' and also @Mr. Fox giving his invaluable input regarding those topics 😄

oh I got another one! how about a subforum about retro hardware, my suggestion stems from that I follow LGR on youtube which covers laptops, desktop hardware, software, handheld devices, oddware, etc. maybe there's some retro enthusiast here with a collection of oddities of ancient hardware/software that wants to share 😄 

• Thumb Up 1

Is it possible to somehow "pin" custom activity streams next to the default "Unread Content"? 

image.thumb.png.f3b6ac9d3a7cdcdb68887e766286c288.png

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

4 hours ago, duskw4lker said:

oh I got another one! how about a subforum about retro hardware, my suggestion stems from that I follow LGR on youtube which covers laptops, desktop hardware, software, handheld devices, oddware, etc. maybe there's some retro enthusiast here with a collection of oddities of ancient hardware/software that wants to share 😄 

So the vast treasure trove that NBR was, I think there would need to be a constant rearranging of threads as 'retro' as newer stuff comes out.  Especially active threads that now are 'retro' just because of the passing of time.  I think the best way to serve those of us that have the retro machines is to simply continue to allow posting in the same areas that were active when the machines were new.

7 hours ago, Reciever said:

We have acquired some domains to be put up for a vote soon 🙂

Still adding some to the list but I believe we will have a public vote for it relatively soon.

Nice!  I'd redirect all the others to the primary until the registration time runs out. :)

The "Which laptop I should buy" thread is missing.

CLEVO PT870TM1-G || i7 8700K || 32 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia GTX 1080 x 2 || 1440p @120Hz
HP ZBOOK 17 G3 || Xeon E3-1535M v5 || 16 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia Quadro GTX M5000M || 1080p @60Hz
DELL PRECISION M6400 || C2Q QX9300 || Nvidia Quadro FX3700M || 1200p @60Hz || RETIRED

LG 27UK850-W || 2160p @60Hz || AMD Freesync
OC.net profile (luisxd)

Heatware profile (luisxd)

On 2/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, Samir said:

Spam on forums has always been an issue and over the years there have been various ways to combat it from captcha to solve, question and answers to solve (works really well if its very genre specific), and an introduction forum with moderated threads.  Each as its pros and cons and are different on each forum platform.  So far, I don't see anything getting through here so that's a good sign, and I'm sure efforts will ramp up if need be to keep mod work in this area to a minimum. 🙂

We've applied a number of spam prevention measures in the background that will check against a number of different conditions as well as "invisible captcha" since I hate trying to guess what letters/traffic lights/sidewalks/trucks etc are the correct ones to pick.

• Thumb Up 1

image.png.c763e7fced7567803c79ee548ebf6147.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Alienware Aurora R15 - i9-13900KF - RTX 4090 - 32GB DDR5 

Alienware M18x R2 - i7-3920XM - GTX 970M - 16GB 1866Mhz DDR3L - Samsung 970 Evo with MXM to NVMe Adapter - Custom Delft Blue  

Alienware X51 - i7-3770 - NO GPU - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3  Alienware M17x R3 - i7-2760QM - GTX 580M - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Alienware Area 51 ALX - i7-975 Extreme - GTX 980 - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3   Alienware Aurora R2 - i7-3770K - GTX 670FTW - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 

Alienware Aurora R4 ALX - i7-3930K - GTX 1060 - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3        Alienware Aurora R4 ALX - i7-3930K - GTX 670FTW - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

I like this one ... (think about it for a second)

image.png.deebf8d1e093f8a9b2617f47acd93f61.png

Courtesy of this awesome site which uses every possible bad web design technique.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

2 hours ago, Hiew said:

...since I hate trying to guess what letters/traffic lights/sidewalks/trucks etc are the correct ones to pick.

Nice!  I hate those too as I have a multi-wan router so multiple requests from multiple isps always triggers those things and sometimes sites won't even let me pass them. 😞

On 2/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, Reciever said:

Its on the list, I dont have the template readily available, I cant remember verbatim how it was formatted.

I never used it, but ran into remnants from it when people quoted it in posts in the archive.  Might be useful.

Mod edit: please take advantage if the multi-quote functions 🙂