NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

This is how I am running my system right now. This is not a golden chip by any means. But I can do 5.7Ghz with a 6.0Ghz boost on (4) cores. I also have the E-Cores at 4.5Ghz, with a 4.7Ghz ring. Stable as a rock like this in anything! 

DDR5 is at 7800 C38 running very well like this. This is the fastest I can stabilize for daily usage. 

This CPU will do until my SP120+ chip comes through 😈

MEM7800.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

13900KF

Anyone that would pay $800 for the coming RTX 4070? If this is near or close the price point from Nvidia, I think Jensen must go through extensive lobotomy... He just can't be a CEO anymore if he can't use his head. Even a blind man can see this is totally wrong. 

RTX-4070-2023-April.jpg

RTX 4070 in 4 months: doomed to be too expensive? overclocking.com
https://en.overclocking.com/rtx-4070-in-4-months-doomed-to-be-too-expensive/

https://hwbot.org/submission/5134484_papusan_geekbench3___multi_core_core_i9_13900k_(8p)_72552_points

2808601.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

Corsair managed to upsell me on a discounted AX1600i. I expect great things, the efficiency of my veteran Thermaltake 1200 looks to be around 60% lol. This will pay for itself through the electricity cost savings. 

@Papusan

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

One thing that I love about EVGA's BIOS is the "Always Show Boot Option" feature. I wish that it was a requirement that all motherboard manufacturers enable this feature. I install my OSes independently so each has its own bootloader, then use EasyBCD to modify each OS bootloader to give me the option to change my mind after hitting "enter" on the EVGA Boot Option screen. This feature of the EVGA BIOS is always enabled on my systems. It waits for me to tell it where I want to go. No need to spam any buttons for BIOS or boot selection. It just sits there and does nothing until I tell it where to go. If I connect a USB drive, it shows that in the boot menu as well. I absolutely LOVE this.

IMG_20221202_045206.thumb.jpg.f57e49b55c9795f32aa971724c9b10b1.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

One thing that I love about EVGA's BIOS is the "Always Show Boot Option" feature. I wish that it was a requirement that all motherboard manufacturers enable this feature. I install my OSes independently so each has its own bootloader, then use EasyBCD to modify each OS bootloader to give me the option to change my mind after hitting "enter" on the EVGA Boot Option screen. This feature of the EVGA BIOS is always enabled on my systems. It waits for me to tell it where I want to go. No need to spam any buttons for BIOS or boot selection. It just sits there and does nothing until I tell it where to go. If I connect a USB drive, it shows that in the boot menu as well. I absolutely LOVE this.

I have a similar setup on my Alienware 17. I use that laptop as a hackintosh, so I have the clover bootloader installed on it. I have the default boot option set as the clover bootloader, so it achieves the same thing as this BIOS option does for you. I do wish this was the default behavior on all systems since I switch operating systems back and forth often.

• Thumb Up 4

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

One thing I love about the EVGA bios, is how you can name and save like 10 bios different profiles and name them all something unique. I always made so many lol and went back and forward between them all. I miss that. Now I am writing down descriptions on a notepad and writing down a number 1 though number 6 beside it lol.

I do like that the MSI allows me to hit ESC and "Exit without saving" and it immediately loads windows though. 

• Thumb Up 2

13900KF

37 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

One thing I love about the EVGA bios, is how you can name and save like 10 bios different profiles and name them all something unique. I always made so many lol and went back and forward between them all. I miss that. Now I am writing down descriptions on a notepad and writing down a number 1 though number 6 beside it lol.

I do like that the MSI allows me to hit ESC and "Exit without saving" and it immediately loads windows though. 

To be fair, MSI also has named profiles albeit something like 6 if memory serves. They can also be stored on a USB stick with arbitrary names, which effectively provides unlimited storage of profiles. 

• Thumb Up 2

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

5 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Corsair managed to upsell me on a discounted AX1600i. I expect great things, the efficiency of my veteran Thermaltake 1200 looks to be around 60% lol. This will pay for itself through the electricity cost savings. 

@Papusan

Thats great. But Money saving due the better effiency won't pay off. You still pay more than for an cheaper PSU with similar or slightly less efficency. It's there you will save your $$$$. More expensive means always less $$$ back in your pocket and over the (PSU's) lifespan.

---------------------------------------------------------

How is this even possible? First you have to enable ECC in NCP for benching  (with performance penalty) then you now need bios updates to play games with 4000 series cards. Nice. Older gen GPU as 3090 Ti have also ECC support but you don't need to enable it for benching. Nice.... New tech is always better. Or shall we say new tech sucks more than ever? Put in what fits. 

The early impressions on Steam for EA's newly released Need for Speed Unbound are "Very Positive" out of over 650 user votes. Be that as it may, there's an annoying issue that can manifest on high-end gaming PCs equipped with NVIDIA's flagship GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card, and the solution is an odd one—update the bios.

It's not too often that a game publisher advises updating the BIOS on your graphics card. In fact, I can't recall a single time this has ever happened before now (feel free to enlighten me in the comments if this has actually happened before). Typically the workarounds for these kinds of issues involve game patches and driver updates, or other non-BIOS altering tweaks.

Imagine you have a Dell Jokebook. As etc the older +5000$ Alienware Area-51M gaming flagship that burned up.... You was forced to update vBios to be able to play games.... Dell added power caps (crippled the performance) in the firmware and you was forced to do the upgrade with a nice performance penalty. Isn't that nice bro @Mr. Fox? Forced to do a firmware upgrade to play your games due stupid new Tech design solutions. 

CIGAR.gif

• Thumb Up 3

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

19 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Thats great. But Money saving due the better effiency won't pay off. You still pay more than for an cheaper PSU with similar or slightly less efficency. It's there you will save your $$$$. More expensive means always less $$$ back in your pocket and over the (PSU's) lifespan.

The idea of spending money to save money is almost always flawed. The popularity of selling "solar power" is a great example of that. Sure, it can lower your electric bill. But, it is so expensive that you will be very old or dead before the cost of acquistion is offset by the monthy savings. There is some sound logic supporting the concept of harnessing solar power, but saving money is a dangling carrot that is misleading. It's not an intelligent solution for people with limited financial resources. They can't afford it.

19 minutes ago, Papusan said:

How is this even possible? First you have to enable ECC in NCP for benching  (with performance penalty) then you now need bios updates to play games with 4000 series cards. Nice. Older gen GPU as 3090 Ti have also ECC support but you don't need to enable it for benching. Nice.... New tech is always better. Or shall we say new tech sucks more than ever? Put in what fits. 

I am sure the idea behind making it possible to turn it off is just one of NVIDIA's tricks to fluff up the performance numbers for marketing purposes. If you can increase performance by 5 or 10% by disabling ECC you can market the new product's superiority based on those numbers with ECC disabled.

• Thumb Up 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

17 hours ago, tps3443 said:

This is how I am running my system right now. This is not a golden chip by any means. But I can do 5.7Ghz with a 6.0Ghz boost on (4) cores. I also have the E-Cores at 4.5Ghz, with a 4.7Ghz ring. Stable as a rock like this in anything! 

DDR5 is at 7800 C38 running very well like this. This is the fastest I can stabilize for daily usage. 

This CPU will do until my SP120+ chip comes through 😈

MEM7800.png

What happened to your recent golden chip you just got from BB? Did you sell that one too?

Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

---------------------------------------------------------

The early impressions on Steam for EA's newly released Need for Speed Unbound are "Very Positive" out of over 650 user votes. Be that as it may, there's an annoying issue that can manifest on high-end gaming PCs equipped with NVIDIA's flagship GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card, and the solution is an odd one—update the bios.

It's not too often that a game publisher advises updating the BIOS on your graphics card. In fact, I can't recall a single time this has ever happened before now (feel free to enlighten me in the comments if this has actually happened before). Typically the workarounds for these kinds of issues involve game patches and driver updates, or other non-BIOS altering tweaks.

Imagine you have a Dell Jokebook. As etc the older +5000$ Alienware Area-51M gaming flagship that burned up.... You was forced to update vBios to be able to play games.... Dell added power caps in the firmware and you was forced to do the upgrade with a nice performance penalty. Isn't that nice bro @Mr. Fox? Forced to do a firmware upgrade to play your games due stupid new Tech design solutions. 

CIGAR.gif

For sure, I would get most benefits with the model you suggested, or something like Thermaltake TF-1. My point is that with the current electicity costs, an upgrade from the very inefficient old PSU will pay for itself in a couple of months anyway. The premium will cover the improved electrical and acoustic performance, including in extreme heat - which wouldn't matter to you, thanks to the use of GaN components. Fair bet electricity is cheaper in Norway, which affects the calculation. Again, the PSU was discounted, I paid just a little more than a BeQuiet DarkPower Pro 1500W  would set me back right now :) 

@Mr. Fox

Absolutely, too many times the promise of energy savings is basically a scam, often made easier by  difficulty or impossibility of accurately calculating the expected savings. Luckily, in this case the overall calculation was trivial. Yes, I would have recovered the cost even faster with a cheaper sweet spot PSU, but with my heavy use and the ever more punitive electricity costs it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of the time-frames. BTW I've also started hearing political talk of penalising heavy electricity users in this country.... Ugh. 

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

1 hour ago, Talon said:

What happened to your recent golden chip you just got from BB? Did you sell that one too?

Hey, yes I ended up sending that one to Team EVGA guy in Germany. He actually got it today, he made it a pressing matter to buy it. CEN was a very nice guy so I figured I’d help him out since I didn’t sell him the last one, because I received a message from Falk claiming he was a scammer etc. 

Now he has the chip in hand and he’s like. “Lowest VID’s I’ve ever seen” but apparently it doesn’t scale well at all. Normal PayPal too. Fingers crossed I feel the storm coming… 😕

I mean I didn’t guarantee any overclocking results with it, he’s on LN2 -200C. I merely sold the chip as a Force 124 that ran super well and that’s what it is. I should have kept it. I was so happy with it too. ROCK STAR of a CPU. I’ve tested (4) and it was the absolute best of all (4). 

I was running it at 213 watts R23 5.5-5.8. R23

Or (5.8-6.2) P-Cores, 4.7 E-Cores, 5.2 ring at 314 watts R23 (44,000 score)

I mean the chip was so solid. I remember feeling regret and feeling just stupid on the way home after handing it over to UPS. Thinking I would not find another. It’s very unfortunate he’s not happy with it, I find that shocking to be honest. I’m running a Force 143 right now and it’s an absolute turd in comparison same cpu but feels like I’m on another planet lol they are worlds apart. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1

13900KF

11 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Hey, yes I ended up sending that one to Team EVGA guy in Germany. He actually got it today, he really pushed hard to buy it. CEN can be extremely persistent. But I figured I’d help

him out since I didn’t sell him the last one, because I received a message from Falk claiming he was a scammer etc. 

Now he has the chip in hand and he’s like. “Lowest VID’s I’ve ever seen” but apparently it doesn’t scale well at all. Normal PayPal too. Fingers crossed I feel the storm coming… 

I mean I didn’t guarantee any overclocking results with it. I merely sold the chip as a Force 124. And that’s it. Jeez. I should have kept it. I was so happy with it too. ROCK STAR of a CPU. I’ve tested (4) and it was the absolute best. 

I was running it at 213 watts R23 5.5-5.8. R23

Or (5.8-6.2) P-Cores, 4.7 E-Cores, 5.2 ring at 314 watts R23 (44,000 score)

I mean the chip was so solid. I remember feeling regret and feeling just stupid on the way home after handing it over to UPS. Thinking I would not find another. 

Did he e-mail you that information about receiving the chip or was it messaging in their forum? An e-mail could serve as a receipt that he received it and could be used as evidence if he were to attempt to scam you. A PM through a forum wouldn't help your case though. 

This is why I don't allow PayPal as a payment processor, because I'd hate to have that hanging over my head months down the road where someone (even someone I trust) could still claim their money back. I am sure that caused me to lose on potential customers but I accept it. 

• Thumb Up 4

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

Just now, Rage Set said:

Did he e-mail you that information about receiving the chip or was it messaging in their forum? An e-mail could serve as a receipt that he received it and could be used as evidence if he were to attempt to scam you. A PM through a forum wouldn't help your case though. 

This is why I don't allow PayPal as a payment processor, because I'd hate to have that hanging over my head months down the road where someone (even someone I trust) could still claim their money back. I am sure that caused me to lose on potential customers but I accept it. 

I have his Facebook messages saying he has received it. 

• Thumb Up 1

13900KF

On 12/1/2022 at 6:46 AM, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, I got it from NewEgg on Black Friday sale for $318. I like the waterblock. Thank you. I think it looks nice, too. It works well. It is a lot less restrictive than the Optimus block. My flow rate increase by around 60 l/h just from installing it.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, Mr. Fox said:

I think I am probably going to return it for a refund. I am not impressed with it. It's not as stable as my M-die and the minor improvement in performance isn't worth the $300 I paid for it.

funny to see how "frugal" youve become in terms of spending money on new hardware my man 😄 but totally the sensible thing to do! nevertheless, i find it amazing how crazy fast DDR5 prices have dropped in just 3 short months. i can now get a 32GB 7600 kit for the same price as i originally bought my 6600 kit 😮 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:00 PM, tps3443 said:

With all of the CPU samples I have tested, and also looking at others Force 2 and Asus SP rating.

I have created a MSI FORCE 2 CONVERSION for Asus P-Core SP rating. 

This is going by only “P-Core SP rating” 

P-Core SP124= Force 109
P-Core SP123= Force 112
P-Core SP122= Force 115
P-Core SP121= Force 118
P-Core SP120= Force 121
P-Core SP119= Force 124
P-Core SP118= Force 127
P-Core SP117= Force 130
P-Core SP116= Force 133
P-Core SP115= Force 136
P-Core SP114= Force 139
P-Core SP113= Force 142
P-Core SP112= Force 145
P-Core SP111= Force 148
P-Core SP110= Force 151
P-Core SP109= Force 154
P-Core SP108= Force 157
P-Core SP107= Force 160
P-Core SP106= Force 163

I hope this helps!! I think the chart is accurate as it directly correlates with my tested CPU’s and other people CPU’s too!

duuuuude, did u test all those urself? crazy stuff man, but awesome data 🙂 

16 hours ago, Papusan said:

Anyone that would pay $800 for the coming RTX 4070? If this is near or close the price point from Nvidia, I think Jensen must go through extensive lobotomy... He just can't be a CEO anymore if he can't use his head. Even a blind man can see this is totally wrong. 

RTX-4070-2023-April.jpg

RTX 4070 in 4 months: doomed to be too expensive? overclocking.com
https://en.overclocking.com/rtx-4070-in-4-months-doomed-to-be-too-expensive/

https://hwbot.org/submission/5134484_papusan_geekbench3___multi_core_core_i9_13900k_(8p)_72552_points

2808601.jpg

i kinda get the feeling that Nvidia is now focusing on maintaining the "dollar per fps" ratio and keep it stable, thus ever increasing GPU pricing, since: they give u more and more FPS, right?!?!?! lulz

on the other hand, their plan is working, 40 series GPUs are so ridiculous in their pricing (aside from the 4090) that ppl rather go for the 30 series. lets see how much, if anything, AMD is able to change that in mid Dec....

7 hours ago, Etern4l said:

@Papusan

definitely a nice upsell, im sure u will not regret that BEAST of a psu! efficiency king to this day, even after 4+ years of having been released!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

3 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

funny to see how "frugal" youve become in terms of spending money on new hardware my man 😄 but totally the sensible thing to do! nevertheless, i find it amazing how crazy fast DDR5 prices have dropped in just 3 short months. i can now get a 32GB 7600 kit for the same price as i originally bought my 6600 kit 😮 

duuuuude, did u test all those urself? crazy stuff man, but awesome data 🙂 

i kinda get the feeling that Nvidia is now focusing on maintaining the "dollar per fps" ratio and keep it stable, thus ever increasing GPU pricing, since: they give u more and more FPS, right?!?!?! lulz

on the other hand, their plan is working, 40 series GPUs are so ridiculous in their pricing (aside from the 4090) that ppl rather go for the 30 series. lets see how much, if anything, AMD is able to change that in mid Dec....

definitely a nice upsell, im sure u will not regret that BEAST of a psu! efficiency king to this day, even after 4+ years of having been released!

No, I did not test that many CPU's. But I have tested (4). I have tested chips at the top, bottom, and the middle. The other Force 2 and SP ratings are from other people which coincidentally makes the chart work. So, I was able to come up with a conversion, and it works. 

• Thumb Up 1

13900KF

1 hour ago, jaybee83 said:

It is not because I want to as much as it being necessary. I am trying to save for retirement and with the shambles Brandon has made of our economy and the amount his nonsense has nuked my retirement nest egg, I am starting to worry about what the future holds for me if my 401K and IRA savings continues vaporizing. Not to mention that the cost of gasoline and groceries have skyrocketed and just covering the bare necessities leaves me with less money to spend on enjoying life. I turn 60 next month and I hope I don't have to extend my planned retirement from age 70 to 80.

I spotted a kit of 7600 for $399 and ordered it this morning. I thought about what I had just done and cancelled the order an hour later. I need to be smart, and sometimes that is challenging when you're passionate about something that costs money.

Lots for Mr. Fox to think about. Getting old sucks.

Mr_Fox.jpg.e7cc087c5be7ce998cf1db0537e7af7e.jpg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Hands 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

It is not because I want to as much as it being necessary. I am trying to save for retirement and with the shambles Brandon has made of our economy and the amount his nonsense has nuked my retirement nest egg, I am starting to worry about what the future holds for me if my 401K and IRA savings continues vaporizing. Not to mention that the cost of gasoline and groceries have skyrocketed and just covering the bare necessities leaves me with less money to spend on enjoying life. I turn 60 next month and I hope I don't have to extend my planned retirement from age 70 to 80.

I spotted a kit of 7600 for $399 and ordered it this morning. I thought about what I had just done and cancelled the order an hour later. I need to be smart, and sometimes that is challenging when you're passionate about something that costs money.

Lots for Mr. Fox to think about. Getting old sucks.

Mr_Fox.jpg.e7cc087c5be7ce998cf1db0537e7af7e.jpg

You’re only 60? I am 32 years old. Honestly 60 ain’t old in 2022 though lol. But I feel your pain about the other stuff. I have (2) kids and a wife and it’s definitely expensive to live! Having fun with computer parts keeps me occupied. And it’s a lot cheaper than other hobbies like drag racing cars etc. 

One more thing, It’s absolutely crazy that Corsair is selling people garbage A-Die for $300+ dollars that they have already tested to not be good. They are binning that stuff way too tightly and leaving you nothing. They even sell a 7000 set.. Very greedy of them. I assure you my Team Groups are great. They are 7,200 C34 XMP and are reliably handling 7800 daily. I’m at my motherboard limits now for sure. Only a Z790 Dark or Z790 Apex would save me now. Which, I ain’t buying just to break 8,000 DDR5 lol. 

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 1

13900KF

5 hours ago, tps3443 said:

You’re only 60? I am 32 years old. Honestly 60 ain’t old in 2022 though lol. But I feel your pain about the other stuff. I have (2) kids and a wife and it’s definitely expensive to live! Having fun with computer parts keeps me occupied. And it’s a lot cheaper than other hobbies like drag racing cars etc. 

One more thing, It’s absolutely crazy that Corsair is selling people garbage A-Die for $300+ dollars that they have already tested to not be good. They are binning that stuff way too tightly and leaving you nothing. They even sell a 7000 set.. Very greedy of them. I assure you my Team Groups are great. They are 7,200 C34 XMP and are reliably handling 7800 daily. I’m at my motherboard limits now for sure. Only a Z790 Dark or Z790 Apex would save me now. Which, I ain’t buying just to break 8,000 DDR5 lol. 

I had three kits of the TeamGroup DDR5-6200 M-die and all three were outstanding quality. I did not like how they were shaped and wished they were not RGB. On the Unify-X they were a challenge because of the backplate waterblock on my 3090. It is kind of ridiculous how it is nearly impossible to buy memory that isn't the RGB crap. I wouldn't mind it that much if the heatsinks were not applied in a retarded manner, or if the default was white instead of rainbow puke for all of them. I hate having to install trashy software to change the LEDs to white. That is so stupid.

I am a young 60, in good health partially because I deliberately work on it, and because I am blessed. We had 5 kids and I know how hard it is to make ends meet. I have worked like a dog my whole life and I am more than a little bit angry about the mess we are in now economically. It was so avoidable, but bad decisions were made and continue to be made by idiots with a socialist mentality. I still feel young, and act young, but 10 years passes in the blink of an eye. Hopefully, there will be enough time to recover if we can stop the nonsense before it is too late.

Totally right about this being a "cheap" hobby compared to the alternatives. In fact, I gave up street rods, drag racing, motorcycles and guns because it was no longer sustainable with 5 kids. I turned that passion to computers because it was doable (but still a challenge sometimes). I have always been a little bit frugal, and haven't spent nearly as much as I could have had I bought everything I wanted to buy. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Etern4l said:

For sure, I would get most benefits with the model you suggested, or something like Thermaltake TF-1. My point is that with the current electicity costs, an upgrade from the very inefficient old PSU will pay for itself in a couple of months anyway. The premium will cover the improved electrical and acoustic performance, including in extreme heat - which wouldn't matter to you, thanks to the use of GaN components.

If you don't need an new PSU, you will lose money. And as I said... Pay premium for a PSU over a cheaper one with ok efficiency to try save money is flawed thinking. See my post below

4 hours ago, Etern4l said:

. Fair bet electricity is cheaper in Norway, which affects the calculation. Again, the PSU was discounted, I paid just a little more than a BeQuiet DarkPower Pro 1500W  would set me back right now 🙂

Electricity here is around 0.3-0.5 US Dollar. And have been above this. We produce and sell clean electricity over to EU now. And we sell everything we can produce of Gas and Oil. This because of the war in Ukraine. And the Norwegian citizens suffer hard from this. 

Regarding save money on higher tier PSU vs cheaper one to save money on electricity...

I could bought the AX1600i for $572. Got a great deal on the Corsair HX1500i ($262.5). They are both comparable in terms of efficiency. The Ax1600i is sligthly a bit more efficient. But I pay 2.18 times the price more for the more expensive model. 

Lets say I use it at half power aka 750W 24/7. How long do I need do keep it to save money "if the more expensive PSU" may provide maximum 2% better efficiency?🙂 Zero or a loss. Not a save. at least not for me. And make the calculation even worse... I use the pc the half time(12/7). And with much less than the suggested power. So the more expensive AX1600i would never pay of for my middle son. 

And who use 750W compute power 24/7 ? This means the GPU and Cpu has to run at full power 24/7/365. I don't see many will max out all power 24/7. If this is still the case, the pc is put up the way that you let it run for automatic tasks. Not a normal use pc. This is more as server use. Or host machine for many clients. 

As I said in my previous posts. Nice to have over cheaper will never pay of if you hope save money on slightly more comparable in terms of efficient power adapters.

Btw. What did you pay for the AX1600. Have to be very cheap if you think you'll save money on the better efficiency. 

In short... Cheaper model that fits your bill "will always be cheaper". Find very good deals is the only and best way to save money or cut cost. Not the 1 or 2% better efficency.

• Haha 1

Well, MB is off to RMA yet again. User error is killing me with this board.🤦‍♂️

While doing a flash back I thought the flashing was done after forgetting about it for like 10 minutes or so. I power cycle the board and no boot. Double white line. I try to boot 2nd bios and because the first flash apparently wasn't done it messed up the second bios. Oh brother!

Hit up MSI and they had RMA ready with paid label in under 5 minutes. From me starting off by saying "bad bios flash"

Not sure what is different, but they are footing the bill this time.

In other news.... I was able to reserve a Zotac and a Strix 4090, but then the Strix fell off and it kept the Zotac. LOL It's still sitting at Microcenter right now. Along with a Suprim X. They just got a shipment of cards in while I was over there looking for a replacement for this stupid MSI board and this Liquid X. They also have some Strix 4090's but guess what? All of them are DOA! So that was why they took the one I had in cart.🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂 And of course I asked how did they know this and their reply was...."Because we open them all and tested them." As to why they would even know to do that first? Guess Asus must know something or customer returns in less than 24 hours. I did not ask about the latter of the two.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Maximus Z790 Apex ~ 13900K ~ MSI 4090 Suprim X ~ G.Skill Trident Z5 7800 Mhz ~ 1TB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Thermaltake 1650W GF3 ~ AACH100HP Water Chiller ~ Praxis Wet Bench Flat

MSI MEG X570S Unify-X MAX ~ 5950X ~ GTX 1070 ~ G.Skill 3200 Mhz ~ 500GB Samsung 980 Pro ~ Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO Tempered Glass ~ Thermaltake 650W ~ 

Hwbot Profile

How scammy can this company really get..🤮 I dream of  Nvidia going down in the gutter, hope AMD and Intel takes their marketplace

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

I had three kits of the TeamGroup DDR5-6200 M-die and all three were outstanding quality. I did not like how they were shaped and wished they were not RGB. On the Unify-X they were a challenge because of the backplate waterblock on my 3090. It is kind of ridiculous how it is nearly impossible to buy memory that isn't the RGB crap. I wouldn't mind it that much if the heatsinks were not applied in a retarded manner, or if the default was white instead of rainbow puke for all of them. I hate having to install trashy software to change the LEDs to white. That is so stupid.

I am a young 60, in good health partially because I deliberately work on it, and because I am blessed. We had 5 kids and I know how hard it is to make ends meet. I have worked like a dog my whole life and I am more than a little bit angry about the mess we are in now economically. It was so avoidable, but bad decisions were made and continue to be made by idiots with a social mentality. I still feel young, and act young, but 10 years passes in the blink of an eye. Hopefully, there will be enough time to recover if we can stop the nonsense before it is too late.

Totally right about this being a "cheap" hobby compared to the alternatives. In fact, I gave up street rods, drag racing, motorcycles and guns because it was no longer sustainable with 5 kids. I turned that passion to computers because it was doable (but still a challenge sometimes). I have always been a little bit frugal, and haven't spent nearly as much as I could have had I bought everything I wanted to buy. 

If I want to upgrade my HW and sell what I already have... I have to buy parts "if they offer RGB" to be able to sell it for an ok price on the used market. Many want this modern "bling bling"... And people will rather pay extra for this on used market than buy used without it. But this is the time we live in. Can't have it all. For me... Parts need the crap if I want reduce my loss. Almost nothing you buy today can keep up its $$$ value over its lifespan. 

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

If you don't need an new PSU, you will lose money. 

I do need a new PSU bro - the old one is 14 years old. Amazing reliability but I had to replace the fan already, now it started developing some weird vibrations, and I'm wondering whether it's causing those rare resets I'm trying to troubleshoot. This is used in mostly 24/7 operation, so I have been really pushing it with that old buddy, its retirement will be well deserved. The efficiency of the old PSU is somewhere in the 60-70% ballpark - that's how I'm losing money every day I continue using it.

Pay premium for a PSU over a cheaper one with ok efficiency to try save money is flawed thinking.

Of course, especially with moderate use. However, as mentioned earlier I had other reasons for purchasing this PSU, and my usage pattern is anything but moderate.

Electricity here is around 0.3-0.5 US Dollar. And have been above this. We produce and sell clean electricity over to EU now. And we sell everything we can produce of Gas and Oil. This because of the war in Ukraine. And the Norwegian citizens suffer hard from this. 

About the same prices here, and we rely heavily on Norwegian electricity imports. So much so that should this source fail, there might be blackouts this winter. That's a well-functioning and resilient private energy market right there. Why invest in power plants and energy sufficiency, when you can just import from Norway or France?

At least half of the world is suffering, including the Russian people. Hopefully the madness ends sooner rather than later.

Regarding save money on higher tier PSU vs cheaper one to save money on electricity...

Lets say I use it at half power aka 750W 24/7. How long do I need do keep it to save money "if the more expensive PSU" may provide 2% better efficiency?🙂 Zero or a loss. Not a save.

I think you misunderstood - I will be saving money thanks to buying a new PSU to replace a 60-70% efficient one. So much so, I'm not that price sensitive.

I could bought the AX1600i for $572. Got a great deal on the Corsair HX1500i ($262.5). They are both comparable in terms of efficiency. The Ax1600i is sligthly a bit more efficient. But I pay 2.18 times the price more for the more expensive model. 

I would have gone with the HX1500i in this scenario too. I paid 1.5x which is a bit more acceptable :) It's just that it will be used in a heavily-loaded system, so I felt things like amazing performance in hot environment were worth it. If getting the best super-critical component means paying $150 extra I'm OK with that in this crazy PC building business. It may be a little overkill but if it works reliably as advertised and improves system stability, I will be very happy.

And who use 750W 24/7? This means a GPU and Cpu run at full power 24/7/365. I don't see many max out all power 24/7. If this is still the case, the pc is put up the way that you let it run for automatic tasks. Not a normal use. This is more as server use. Or host machine for many clients.

Well, one could imagine workstations being used to handle heavy workloads. Not a "normal"/average consumer use, not a normal PSU :)

BTW I just wanted to say I appreciate your advice here and elsewhere Bro, it has been very helpful.  Hope my extravagant purchasing decision is now at least little better justified in your eyes  :)

Now, can you please chastise bro @jaybee83 a little? He bought a Seasonic TX-PRIME 1600, that is even more expensive, and unfortunately no proper explanation has been provided yet ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

-- Max Tegmark

Motherboard came back and it (thankfully) works:
IMG_0345.jpg

The guy I sold it to has a degree in Electrical Engineering, and couldn't understand that you need an MSI made Pascal GPU for the motherboard to POST...

I am starting to see why everyone decided to axe MXM... (just kidding, lol)

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 1

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD