NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread

electrosoft

5 hours ago, Spektre said:

New user here.  Refugee from the old notebook forum.

I'm interested in upgrading my P775 to an X-170KM.   I have a few questions if anyone could help me out.

1.  My main complaint with the P775 is the DC connector.  There is no positive lock on it.  It falls out all the time.  Has this been fixed with the new rectangular plugs?  Do they positively lock in?

2. Is anyone using the 780W PS instead of the 2 supplied bricks?  How does it work?

3.  Any build/fit and finish issues that seem to commonly be bad with this model?

4.  Any word from Clevo is there is another DTR coming?  I guess I do not mind 11th gen processor with a 3080, but if a newer model with later parts is right around the corner, it'd be a bad time to buy.

5.  The KM model does not have any more advantageous BIOS out like Prema does it?

Thanks in advance.

Only the X170SM has a prema mod available to it. As for build/fit issue, the only issue is the back panel can have a issue where a little foam stopper falls out and then the clip it holds just keeps popping but superglue will fix that issue or its a non issue when it screwed back in to the chassis.

As for any other DTR they have released an X270 Turdbook but i think the X170 is the last of its kind.

The 780w PSU will be the same as the 2x 280w PSU connection is like but with only one PSU and two cable ends.

There is a positive lock on the DC and doesn't fall out easy enough.

• Thumb Up 1

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

7 hours ago, Spektre said:

New user here.  Refugee from the old notebook forum.

I'm interested in upgrading my P775 to an X-170KM.   I have a few questions if anyone could help me out.

1.  My main complaint with the P775 is the DC connector.  There is no positive lock on it.  It falls out all the time.  Has this been fixed with the new rectangular plugs?  Do they positively lock in?

2. Is anyone using the 780W PS instead of the 2 supplied bricks?  How does it work?

3.  Any build/fit and finish issues that seem to commonly be bad with this model?

4.  Any word from Clevo is there is another DTR coming?  I guess I do not mind 11th gen processor with a 3080, but if a newer model with later parts is right around the corner, it'd be a bad time to buy.

5.  The KM model does not have any more advantageous BIOS out like Prema does it?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

1. It has definitely been fixed and improved. You have to exert a little bit of force to get them to come out now.

2.780w will work but some of the old reports on the old forums said it had a not so great design and was a bit on the dirty side.

3. Problems with running 4 sticks at 3200 is a common problem. Locked down BIOS is another.

4. 12th gen Clevo is a 15.6" model for desktop CPU supported laptop here:

Apparently the 17.3" X270 is BGA across the board.

5. Prema was supposed to be in the works but it looks like it is DOA due to many issues with the system implementing it. Prema is available on select X170SM-G models.

• Thumb Up 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

4 hours ago, Spektre said:

What controls on overclocking/uindervolting are available on the stock unit from Clevo?  Does anyone have screenshots of whatever "Control center" is shipping these days?

I typically avoid using Clevo Control Center for overclocking, undervolting, or just general tuning on my system. I uninstalled it since I don't need anything it provides, and I have the performance mode of my laptop set to Hyperperformance in the BIOS.

For CPU overclocking/undervolting, I'd highly recommend using Intel XTU. XTU provides a lot of options to tune your system to your liking. Many forum members prefer Throttlestop, but I prefer XTU. I've always liked it more.

For GPU overclocking, I recommend MSI Afterburner. You can customize the interface and you have core and memory frequency controls, along with monitoring for various things (such as core and memory frequency, individual CPU frequencies, etc).

However if you're dead set on using Clevo Control Center for your tuning needs, it has options for overclocking the CPU and GPU. You can set the CPU frequency and voltage offset only if the laptop is set to performance mode within the power mode section. You can also set the GPU core and memory frequencies.

• Thumb Up 1

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

13 hours ago, wilpang said:

Hi guys

How does the QHD 165hz compare to the Full HD 300hz?

If this is the 1440p screen I will be getting one soon.tm myself so I would be able to compare 1080p 144hz to 1440p 165hz.

• Thumb Up 2

Spoiler

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

7 hours ago, Clamibot said:

I typically avoid using Clevo Control Center for overclocking, undervolting, or just general tuning on my system. I uninstalled it since I don't need anything it provides, and I have the performance mode of my laptop set to Hyperperformance in the BIOS.

For CPU overclocking/undervolting, I'd highly recommend using Intel XTU. XTU provides a lot of options to tune your system to your liking. Many forum members prefer Throttlestop, but I prefer XTU. I've always liked it more.

For GPU overclocking, I recommend MSI Afterburner. You can customize the interface and you have core and memory frequency controls, along with monitoring for various things (such as core and memory frequency, individual CPU frequencies, etc).

However if you're dead set on using Clevo Control Center for your tuning needs, it has options for overclocking the CPU and GPU. You can set the CPU frequency and voltage offset only if the laptop is set to performance mode within the power mode section. You can also set the GPU core and memory frequencies.

Thanks,

I had tried a Maingear laptop that just would not run MSI afterburner.  Good to hear it runs OK on this laptop.

• Thumb Up 1

On 6/5/2022 at 11:14 PM, electrosoft said:

2.780w will work but some of the old reports on the old forums said it had a not so great design and was a bit on the dirty side.

4. 12th gen Clevo is a 15.6" model for desktop CPU supported laptop here:

Apparently the 17.3" X270 is BGA across the board.

2. Dirty as in the power is not clean?

4.  Thanks, that helps make my decision.  That looks like a real step backwards.

1 hour ago, Spektre said:

2. Dirty as in the power is not clean?

4.  Thanks, that helps make my decision.  That looks like a real step backwards.

2. Yep.

4. Glad the info helped out!

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

10 hours ago, wilpang said:

Hey guys

If a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD OS drive was placed PCIe 3.0 slot, could I move it 4.0 slot if one if available to take advantage of the potential speed?

Yes. Moving a drive to a different slot will not make it unbootable.

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

So this where everybody came... 😁

I finally got tired enough of random bsod to give up and fall back to 64gig ram, then found the Xmg Gear2 bios.

Hid, surprisingly (:sarcasm: 🙃), isn't interested in getting that for me so i'm going to get my fingers dirty. Anybody having issues with their bios in others' machines?

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, br2 said:

So this where everybody came... 😁

I finally got tired enough of random bsod to give up and fall back to 64gig ram, then found the Xmg Gear2 bios.

Hid, surprisingly (:sarcasm: 🙃), isn't interested in getting that for me so i'm going to get my fingers dirty. Anybody having issues with their bios in others' machines?

Gear 2 Bios is the only bios for 4 slot usage. Not issues here with either XMG's bios or PCS's bios.

• Thumb Up 3

Spoiler

Howdy... Hid says he's not going to support it due to its instability.

Xmg flash gave me a scare but came up on the 4th "first boot". Pretty fool proof if you follow their instructions. Now to see if i can go a week or 2 without a crash. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Sydneyblue said:

Heys guys Long time to talk. Any word on prema for KM-G ? 

@MD87 How is the fixing going ? 

1 hour ago, br2 said:

Howdy... Hid says he's not going to support it due to its instability.

Xmg flash gave me a scare but came up on the 4th "first boot". Pretty fool proof if you follow their instructions. Now to see if i can go a week or 2 without a crash. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, Prema on the KM is basically done. Too many issues.

@Sydneyblue so you sold your KM to turn around and build an 11th gen rig vs 12th gen?

5 hours ago, Spektre said:

Does anyone have a part number for the 2 DC connectors that plug into the Clevo?

Do you mean the whole PSU's? or just the connectors?

HELP!:

Right i am now in a puzzled state of affairs right now, so i have a 165Hz QHD screen on the way (Ebay purchase) Model: NE173QHM-NY2 which is great, now i removed the bezzle which was easy enough.

Now to the puzzling bit, how the ef is this screen held in surely it not just by them little rubber bumpers and using presure to keep the screen in place. I did notice some Battery pull tab like things at the bottom corners of the screen but hot dam i am confused. 

The service manual only covers removing the bezzle and the CCD (Camera module).

Edited by solidus1983
Puzzled!!!!

Spoiler

8 hours ago, solidus1983 said:

Do you mean the whole PSU's? or just the connectors?

HELP!:

Right i am now in a puzzled state of affairs right now, so i have a 165Hz QHD screen on the way (Ebay purchase) Model: NE173QHM-NY2 which is great, now i removed the bezzle which was easy enough.

Now to the puzzling bit, how the ef is this screen held in surely it not just by them little rubber bumpers and using presure to keep the screen in place. I did notice some Battery pull tab like things at the bottom corners of the screen but hot dam i am confused. 

The service manual only covers removing the bezzle and the CCD (Camera module).

The screen is held in by some adhesive pads that attach the screen to the housing. It's really stupid because it makes it very easy to damage your screen when removing it. That ended up happening to me. I removed my original screen to convert it into a glossy screen because I hate matte panels, and there wasn't a glossy panel available for this laptop. Fortunately, matte panels are just glossy panels with a matte anti-glare layer applied on top. Unfortunately, I cracked the screen during removal since I used too much force, and I had to get a new one 🤬.

All you have to do is take a razor or a thin card and saw away at the adhesive. Be very careful and do not use too much force or bend the screen too much, or it will crack, which is exactly what happened to me. There are 2 long adhesive strips, one on the left side of the screen, and one on the right side. They are both applied vertically from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Once you have removed your original screen, you can stick your new screen in the housing without applying any adhesives to keep it attached to the housing. Putting the bezel back on will keep the screen in, even if you literally throw the laptop across the room. Why Clevo decided to use adhesive strips to secure the screen is beyond me since the bezel already does a very good job of keeping the screen from falling out.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Clamibot said:

The screen is held in by some adhesive pads that attach the screen to the housing. It's really stupid because it makes it very easy to damage your screen when removing it. That ended up happening to me. I removed my original screen to convert it into a glossy screen because I hate matte panels, and there wasn't a glossy panel available for this laptop. Fortunately, matte panels are just glossy panels with a matte anti-glare layer applied on top. Unfortunately, I cracked the screen during removal since I used too much force, and I had to get a new one 🤬.

All you have to do is take a razor or a thin card and saw away at the adhesive. Be very careful and do not use too much force or bend the screen too much, or it will crack, which is exactly what happened to me. There are 2 long adhesive strips, one on the left side of the screen, and one on the right side. They are both applied vertically from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Once you have removed your original screen, you can stick your new screen in the housing without applying any adhesives to keep it attached to the housing. Putting the bezel back on will keep the screen in, even if you literally throw the laptop across the room. Why Clevo decided to use adhesive strips to secure the screen is beyond me since the bezel already does a very good job of keeping the screen from falling out.

Just as i feared, did you notice the pull tabs just above the hinge clamps? Will be careful thanks for heads up.

Will i need to disconnect the CCD, etc i know about the battery bit though lol.

Spoiler

On 6/17/2022 at 1:15 PM, solidus1983 said:

Just as i feared, did you notice the pull tabs just above the hinge clamps? Will be careful thanks for heads up.

Will i need to disconnect the CCD, etc i know about the battery bit though lol.

Yes I noticed the pull tabs. Be careful with those as well since they break easily. I used those along with the hinge clamps as guides to properly orient the screen during reinstallation.

Just disconnect the power cables and the battery and you'll be set. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to disconnect the screen cable without breaking the screen until you've sawed away the adhesive strips and removed the screen.