NotebookTalk

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Papusan

On 3/7/2022 at 8:54 PM, Papusan said:

Yep, new has to be better. Always.

New Is Always Better How I Met Your Mother GIF by Jessica

The HP Hotkey UWP Service is a driver that lets you use the Function key on your laptop keyboard with the F1 – F0 keys to perform certain tasks, such as turning audio volume up and down.

It starts automatically when Windows boots on an HP laptop, and users complain that while in Windows 10 it would take up minimal memory, in Windows 11 it takes up an enormous amount. 

Memory leak blues

A crappy Windows 11 driver is killing HP laptops – and owners are angry

I dunno what to say, I have a decade long laptop and it doesn't need drivers for Fn key for audio, mute except flight mode or airplane mode. On Linux all hotkeys with Fn works fine even on my AW BGA wherein I got rid off AWCC.

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:15 PM, Vasudev said:

I dunno what to say, I have a decade long laptop and it doesn't need drivers for Fn key for audio, mute except flight mode or airplane mode. On Linux all hotkeys with Fn works fine even on my AW BGA wherein I got rid off AWCC.

Ready to get more ads on you computer? Microsoft's software engineeers ain't finished make Win 11 better, LOOL

Microsoft is back with ads in File Explorer on Windows 11

Many Windows 10 users may remember ads in File Explorer. Microsoft used to show them at some point of time, but eventually abandoned this idea. It looks like the Redmond software giant is again tinkering with this feature in the upcoming version of Windows 11, version 22H2.

The company is exploring all possible ways to increase its revenue from Windows. For instance, the recently added Clipchamp app, while aimed to be the app like Windows Movie Maker, is completely useless unless you pay for extra features. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

22 hours ago, Papusan said:

Ready to get more ads on you computer? Microsoft's software engineeers ain't finished make Win 11 better, LOOL

Many Windows 10 users may remember ads in File Explorer. Microsoft used to show them at some point of time, but eventually abandoned this idea. It looks like the Redmond software giant is again tinkering with this feature in the upcoming version of Windows 11, version 22H2.

The company is exploring all possible ways to increase its revenue from Windows. For instance, the recently added Clipchamp app, while aimed to be the app like Windows Movie Maker, is completely useless unless you pay for extra features. 

They're adding their terrible ideas from Windows 10 to 11 and force people to accept them without any complaint. Clearly Windows 11 is worse than 10 and they expect Windows 10 users to downgrade upgrade to 11 when there no improvements over 10.

But remember newer is always better 😁

I forgot to add that Windows 11 is only 7% of the marketshare currently, Even Windows 7 has more users at 12% while Windows 10 has 75%.

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

3 hours ago, KING19 said:

They're adding their terrible ideas from Windows 10 to 11 and force people to accept them without any complaint.

Not so sure they add all ideas from Win 10. A lot is changed with Win 11 and to the worse 🙂 

3 hours ago, KING19 said:

I forgot to add that Windows 11 is only 7% of the marketshare currently, Even Windows 7 has more users at 12% while Windows 10 has 75%.

And this is the main reason Microsoft didn't dare offer their newest tech only for Win 11. They know all too many will stay on the better OS for a long time🤪 

What Is DirectStorage on Windows 11, Windows 10, and Xbox?

What Is DirectStorage on Windows 11, Windows 10, and Xbox?

DirectStorage is a feature of DirectX 12 found in the Xbox Series consoles that accelerates the performance of SSDs using the massive parallel processing power of today’s GPUs.

DirectStorage could change this for the good, so we won't have to stare at loading screens frequently, because games will switch between areas faster, render more complex worlds with NPCs, better animations, and richer visuals.

The good news is that it is not exclusive to Windows 11, the API is compatible with Windows 10 too. Microsoft says that DirectStorage will run better on Windows 11 due to storage stack optimizations in the new operating system, but that could be marketing jabber.

Here's an official video that explains more about DirectStorage on Windows.

Image courtesy: Microsoft.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

On 3/15/2022 at 1:26 AM, Papusan said:

Looks like when I upgrade my PC in a couple of months I won't be touching Windows outside of an LTSC install purely for PSO2 (because GameGuard doesn't work under Linux). My eyes feel like they burn everytime Microsoft comes up with something that'll be "great", or otherwise, detrimental.

On the upside of that upgrade, I'll finally have the all AMD system I dreamed of a few years ago.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Start11 now adding "legacy customization options" back to the Windows 11 taskbar.

(I am aware that other products like StartIsBack are also doing this... but I think it is just by invoking the Windows 10 taskbar?)

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/16/22980730/start11-windows-11-taskbar-ungrouping-features

https://www.neowin.net/news/start11-v12-beta-brings-back-taskbar-ungrouping-and-more-in-windows-11/

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

13 hours ago, Katja said:

Looks like when I upgrade my PC in a couple of months I won't be touching Windows outside of an LTSC install purely for PSO2 (because GameGuard doesn't work under Linux). My eyes feel like they burn everytime Microsoft comes up with something that'll be "great", or otherwise, detrimental.

On the upside of that upgrade, I'll finally have the all AMD system I dreamed of a few years ago.

For a long time I really wanted to run my own SCHThack server for PSOBB. I still have most of the files on one of my systems. Maybe we can host it if I can nag at @Hiew long enough to make him concede to my demands hahaha :D 

I did like PSO2 though, I think we stopped playing mostly because the middleman client we were using at the time stopped working (before steam release).

On 3/15/2022 at 5:56 AM, Papusan said:

I think they are copying Samsung OneUI ads until all userbase complains and receives a backlash. Since OS market is so low for Win 11 I don't understand why add ads since most newcomers will be put off instantly and think they are infected with malware.

...Apparently, Windows 11 couldn't natively play audio CDs until just now?

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-makes-it-easier-to-play-audio-cds-in-windows-11/

[Edit] I guess the "legacy" media player app was still in there that could play audio CDs.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

On 3/11/2022 at 3:41 AM, aldarxt said:

I just cant bring myself to load up Win11. By 2025 when win10 ends M$FT will be well into win12 and maybe by some FAT chance it will maybe be better than 11 but not worse I hope. But I totally skipped over 8 + 8.1 went from win7 to win 10 and have accepted 10 as not bad. I am deffinetly happier with 10 than what I am seeing all these reports of win11

Security updates and patches for Windows 10 will be available till 2031 and beyond. Even Windows 7 will keep getting ESU updates till October 8, 2024, normal consumers can get these updates via Simplix:

https://forum-oszone-net.translate.goog/thread-257198.html?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005/ 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Windows 11: Microsoft approves desktop watermark for unsupported PCs windowslatest.com

Microsoft is so helpful so they finally will approve a nice small lovely feature in their newest OS. This small notice is intended for those that don't follow their OS rules. I expect they will patch the loophole where you can remove the watermark as the time going forwards. Can't have it open so people get an unsecure pc.This to help you to take the very best choice for secure computing. You all with old HW on win 11 should really give them a huge thanks for their never give up helping it's customers.

Windows-11-unsupported-watermark.jpg

I mean Microsoft should have made the text in screaming Red and in thick bold letters (no register tweaks should be able to remove it). @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix 

• Thumb Up 1

On 3/16/2022 at 6:30 AM, Katja said:

This aged like milk; my main system had the power delivery fail on it, and it's toast. Blegh.

Eh, now I get to suffer under Alder Lake in a couple of weeks! Thinkpad is still going strong, so that makes me happy at least.

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

On 3/21/2022 at 5:45 AM, Papusan said:

Windows 11: Microsoft approves desktop watermark for unsupported PCs windowslatest.com

Microsoft is so helpful so they finally will approve a nice small lovely feature in their newest OS. This small notice is intended for those that don't follow their OS rules. I expect they will patch the loophole where you can remove the watermark as the time going forwards. Can't have it open so people get an unsecure pc.This to help you to take the very best choice for secure computing. You all with old HW on win 11 should really give them a huge thanks for their never give up helping it's customers.

Windows-11-unsupported-watermark.jpg

I mean Microsoft should have made the text in screaming Red and in thick bold letters (no register tweaks should be able to remove it). @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix 

I don't think many people will notice the info message and only care about W11 being installed.

• Sad 2

Microsoft try hard as they can to make Win 11 worse as desktop OS. The future is a real OS for tablets/2 in 1 lap-jokes. Todays new Joke from Redmond HQ @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix

Windows 11: Microsoft may be planning to remove another minor taskbar feature windowslatest.com

For those unaware, Microsoft recently started testing a tablet-optimized taskbar with two states: collapsed and expanded. The plan is to reduce the clutter (temporarily remove certain features from the taskbar) when the system detects your device as a ‘tablet’, so the taskbar can be easily used with touch.

However, there’s a catch – Microsoft is also removing features from the desktop version of the taskbar to optimize it for tablets. In Build 22563 or newer, it is no longer possible to reorder or drag and drop icons within the system tray.

I wonder what works perfectly fine in the latest and greatest. 

Microsoft Releases Optional Windows 11 Update with Tons of Bugfixes and One Small Feature

• Haha 1
  • Bump 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Microsoft try hard as they can to make Win 11 worse as desktop OS. The future is a real OS for tablets/2 in 1 lap-jokes. Todays new Joke from Redmond HQ @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix

Windows 11: Microsoft may be planning to remove another minor taskbar feature windowslatest.com

For those unaware, Microsoft recently started testing a tablet-optimized taskbar with two states: collapsed and expanded. The plan is to reduce the clutter (temporarily remove certain features from the taskbar) when the system detects your device as a ‘tablet’, so the taskbar can be easily used with touch.

However, there’s a catch – Microsoft is also removing features from the desktop version of the taskbar to optimize it for tablets. In Build 22563 or newer, it is no longer possible to reorder or drag and drop icons within the system tray.

Microsoft Releases Optional Windows 11 Update with Tons of Bugfixes and One Small Feature

A future that isn't worth living... nice. No thanks. They can put that tablet crap where the sun don't shine, along with the crappy OS designed for it. Nasty finger salute to the Redmond Retards. May their survival be difficult and filled with countless DMCA violations. They deserve nothing less than immeasurable struggle and financial hardship.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Bump 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Awful....

I'm done with Microtrash.

After Windows 10 LTSC 2019 / 21H2 or next *IF* it comes, that's going to be my last Windows operating system. I decided not to move to Windows 11 not even LTSC. It's not going to happen, with all the crappy CPU related issues, lack of AeroGlass, Utter cognitive dissonance demonstration and pure trash design - Shell32, Win32, Explorer, Taskbar all downgraded these are damn fundamental parts of OS. I cannot simply stand to this junk anymore.

The problem is not just usage and personal issues, they are effectively killing out everything good about a PC / Which is our own machine and taking every single knob out and replacing with their corporate ideology which is control every single person as an NPC without brain just consume. So all the new younger generation will be forever kept in dark not knowing the power of an OS (See - Smartphones nowadays, pure social media addiction dopamine products destroying young minds)

Gaming is dead to me as well, the new games are having some or other political pandering involved and they do not even put any effort as well in their titles now just like M$ they are targeting the ultra dumb sheep. Pure broken junk selling at $60, they are now getting ready for the inflation tax, $70 for new AAA going forth add the MTX to this No thanks. I won't even pirate the junk forget paying. GaaS is another big problem, Xbox Gamepass is very very popular and new PC Gamepass is coming- More UWP trash, more disowning of games, more customer being shunned off the knowledge (in this case  game files, modding and etc) Sony just upped their Playstation subscription models, Rockstar is also dead since a long time, they updated new Subscription services for their new garbage GTA+ this GTA V has been in milking since 2013 to 2022+ on young people. Also Dan Houser who is already *politically more correct* left the company who is also co-founder of this studio Rockstar. GTA VI will sell no matter what but mind you it will be devoid of any passion and soul for sure. Plus their broken trash Trilogy Definitive Edition made them over 300M USD !! So yeah it's pretty much dead, AAA industry. Saw Cyberpunk2077, BF2042 and Halo Infinite disasters already for laughs.

Spoiler

Some AAA disasters

M$ has a clear vision - emulate Apple as much as possible from every single standpoint from OS design, Hardware design. Buy everything out (ActivisionBlizzard, Bethesda / Zenimax) and choke out everyone. See that new DX12Ultimate as well, they are singing some BS nonsense of OMG the Decompression of game assets, OMG the Storage I/O increase lol that Forspoken awful game was shown with the latter which didn't tell us how without that works (Read the talk they are hyping it to moon and the game looks worse than Crysis 3 from 2013 what else should I know ?) and only had expected Loading improvements, plus there's not a single resource freeing on CPU or GPU for the Storage I/O because apparently they are just replacing the Win32 API we know to a new DX12. All this is for ruining Vulkan deployments, now they own big corporations which were top Publishers of AAA they own basically top end of the stack in game development.

So the future is Linux for everything going forward. And old Windows 7 / LTSC installations for my old games.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1

It seemed Win 10 was bad, now Win 11 is exact replica of iPadOS/Mac OS and they might remove hot-plugging USB HDD or thumb drives just because its old and non-compliant to W11 in future. I hope MSFT makes Win 12 redeemed version just like W7

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to share this... Windows Vista and Windows 7 wallpaper pack click the first Drive link,  Windows Vista and 7 HD Wallpaper Pack 4.0.7z (195MB).  And XP HD wallpaper pack too, Windows XP HD Wallpaper Pack 4.0.7z (242MB), there's a bonus archive org page (here's the link anyways) for higher quality.

Beautiful timeless pictures from all old Windows XP, 7, Vista, ME, 2000, 98, enjoy !!

I use these only on my machine. I feel like I'm back in old times. I love the old design of Vista and Windows 7 era, everything was beautiful the glossy and nice glows it had for every small thing from highlight, hover to click. It was really a pleasant serene experience. Now all we have is some plain numb flat boring trash for design. Which is why Windows 7 will forever remain the best Windows OS ever made, that era is gone. It won't happen even in the next 10 years. Infact if you see the corporate degenerate art nowadays on Facebook, Google, Microsoft promotions esp in their apps and their home pages or user guides etc you will understand how bad things are.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1

4 hours ago, Vasudev said:

It seemed Win 10 was bad, now Win 11 is exact replica of iPadOS/Mac OS and they might remove hot-plugging USB HDD or thumb drives just because its old and non-compliant to W11 in future. I hope MSFT makes Win 12 redeemed version just like W7

Really? no more hot swappable usb hdd's? that's a killer, raising prices in an esoteric way, you either have to have all your(really theirs) large files in the "cloud" or buy a larger ssd/nvme no more cheap external spinning hdd connected via usb which I use a lot myself. Thumb drive support I can't see being removed too many people still use them.

4 hours ago, Vasudev said:

they might remove hot-plugging USB HDD or thumb drives just because its old and non-compliant to W11 in future.

16 minutes ago, Hertzian56 said:

Really? no more hot swappable usb hdd's?

...There's a lot of whining in this thread.  A lot of it is justified.  But removing USB storage media support from Windows is not something that's going to happen.

• Like 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

On 3/30/2022 at 12:33 AM, Mr. Fox said:

A future that isn't worth living... nice. No thanks. They can put that tablet crap where the sun don't shine, along with the crappy OS designed for it. Nasty finger salute to the Redmond Retards. May their survival be difficult and filled with countless DMCA violations. They deserve nothing less than immeasurable struggle and financial hardship.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:44 AM, Ashtrix said:

Awful....

I'm done with Microtrash.

According to the latest data from Adduplex, Windows 11 had a hard time gaining more users in March 2022. Adduplex claims Windows 11 currently holds a 19.4% share with no notable changes.

This can't only be because of their new and more restrict HW requirements for Win 11. 

image.png.de8bbfa783dc6489eb195d4d0c0f29e1.png

Edit.

• Thumb Up 3

I would expect that this may be misleading a bit.

Whats likely occurring is people finding out Windows update pushed Win11 and thus a sizeable portion is rewinding it back to Win10 while others are still being pushed to Win11 in the interim.

Likely to be a slow rollout as there isnt much incentive to move up and the upgrade stories left a bad taste in many peoples mouth the last 2 major updates (Win8>Win10).

• Thumb Up 4

On 3/31/2022 at 5:24 AM, Papusan said:

Windows 11 growth reportedly stalled in March 2022

Maybe Microsoft now is able to boost the Win 11 growth? @Ashtrix do you have an Steam Deck? 

Steam Deck: New BIOS allows Windows 11 to be installed

STEAMDECK New BIOS allows Windows 11 to be installed

With the Steam Deck OS Beta Patch and a new BIOS, Valve enables the installation of Windows 11 on the handheld game console.

• Thumb Up 2