NotebookTalk

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Papusan

On 5/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, Vasudev said:

Haven't applied May update on Win 10. I use wait and see approach nowadays

word. best tactic with windows updates is to delay them a few weeks / months and only then install them (if at all). been running like that for years now and no issues whatsoever 🙂

@Aaron44126

currently setting up my lady's new machine (Clevo NH55JNNQ) and installed a modded WIn11 by this group here: https://phoenixliteos.com/

anyone tried them before? i chose their WIn11 Pro Plus build version 22000.652 and i must say i am very pleased! super small install size, very low ram usage and basically no cpu cycles used up and all tweaks n options that i usually add to my win installs already implemented. add to that that its free since the project is based on donations only. you should check them out and give them a try 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Microsoft want you to try out their new Guinea pig version of their patches.... We fixed, we fixed, we fixed, we fixed............... And what will Microsoft break with this patch? 

Windows 11 Build 22000.706 (KB5014019) Is Out for Release Preview Channel

Here is the complete list of fixes coming with Windows 11 KB5014019 (Build 22000.706)

• New! We improved the Family Safety verification experience for a child account when you send a request for additional screen time.
  • New! Windows spotlight on the desktop brings the world to your desktop with new, daily background pictures. With this feature, new pictures will automatically appear as your desktop background. This feature already exists for the lock screen. You can also find out more information about each background picture on the web. To turn on this feature, go to Settings > Personalization > Background > Personalize your background. Choose Windows spotlight.
  • We fixed an issue that causes the Input (TextInputHost.exe) app to stop working.
  • We fixed an issue in searchindexer.exe that affects the search for shapes in Microsoft Visio.
  • We prevented users from bypassing forced enrollment by disconnecting from the internet when they sign in to Azure Active Directory (AAD).
  • We fixed an issue that might run an AnyCPU application as a 32-bit process.
  • We fixed an issue that prevents Azure Desired State Configuration (DSC) scenarios that have multiple partial configurations from working as expected.
  • We fixed an issue that affects remote procedure calls (RPC) to the Win32_User or Win32_Group WMI class. The domain member that runs the RPC contacts the primary domain controller (PDC). When multiple RPCs occur simultaneously on many domain members, this might overwhelm the PDC.
  • We fixed an issue that occurs when adding a trusted user, group, or computer that has a one-way trust in place. The error message, “The object selected doesn’t match the type of destination source” appears.
  • We fixed an issue that fails to display the Application Counters section in the performance reports of the Performance Monitor tool.
  • We fixed an issue that fails to maintain the display brightness after you change the display mode.
  • We fixed an issue that might affect some apps that use d3d9.dll with certain graphics cards and might cause those apps to close unexpectedly.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the IE mode window frame.
  • We fixed an issue that affects Group Policy templates.
  • We fixed an issue that prevents internet shortcuts from updating.
  • We fixed an issue that causes some users to see a black screen when they sign in and sign out of Windows.
  • We fixed an issue that causes an Input Method Editor (IME) to discard a character if you enter the character while the IME is converting previous text.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the Desktop Duplication API, which affects display orientation and causes a black image to appear on the screen.
  • We fixed an issue that causes print failures when a low integrity level (LowIL) application prints to a null port.
  • We fixed an issue that prevents BitLocker from encrypting when you use the silent encryption option.
  • We fixed an issue that leads to a false negative when you run scripts while Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) is turned on. This might cause AppLocker events 8029, 8028, or 8037 to appear in the log when they should not .
  • We fixed an issue that occurs when you apply multiple WDAC policies. Doing that might prevent scripts from running when the policies allow scripts to run.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) driver, which might increase the system’s startup time.
  • We fixed an issue that might cause the Remote Desktop client application to stop working when you end a session.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the behavior and shape orientation of a mouse cursor for Microsoft Defender Application Guard (MDAG), Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Edge. This issue occurs when you turn on a virtual graphics processing unit (GPU).
  • We fixed an issue that causes Widgets to appear on the wrong monitor when you hover over the Widgets icon on the taskbar.
  • We added animation to the Widgets icon when you click or tap the icon and the taskbar is aligned on the left.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the rendering of the default Widgets icon on a taskbar that is aligned in the center.
  • We fixed an issue that causes blurry app icons in Search results when the display’s dots per inch (dpi) scaling is greater than 100%.
  • We fixed an issue that causes file copying to be slower because of a wrong calculation of write buffers within cache manager.
  • We fixed an issue that might cause a system to stop responding when a user signs out if Microsoft OneDrive is in use.
  • We fixed a known issue that might prevent recovery discs (CD or DVD) from starting if you created them using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) app in Control Panel. This issue occurs after installing Windows updates released January 11, 2022 or later.

Microsoft has also started testing experimental features for Windows 11 with the help of Insiders in the Dev Channel. Yesterday's Windows 11 Preview Build 25120 was the first one to introduce these features. More details on that here.

Yep, Win 11 is the most secure Windows ever. And Microsoft try out a new way forcing you to use their Edge browser. 

During the first day of Pwn2Own Vancouver 2022, participants demonstrated various zero-day exploits and security loopholes in popular Microsoft products, such as Windows 11 and Teams.

The new Windows 11 desktop search bar will make you use Edge @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix 

The latest Dev Channel Insider Preview Build came with an exciting new addition to the OS.

However, using the new desktop search bar comes with a price many are unwilling to pay.

Every search made through it will default to Edge, ignoring your already preselected browser.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

A fitting one-word response to Windows 11 is...

nope.gif.1a3106c1d2d594281a58707b85173cad.gif

• Thumb Up 4
  • Haha 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

5 hours ago, Papusan said:

Microsoft want you to try out their new Guinea pig version of their patches.... We fixed, we fixed, we fixed, we fixed............... And what will Microsoft break with this patch? 

Windows 11 Build 22000.706 (KB5014019) Is Out for Release Preview Channel

Here is the complete list of fixes coming with Windows 11 KB5014019 (Build 22000.706)

• New! We improved the Family Safety verification experience for a child account when you send a request for additional screen time.
  • New! Windows spotlight on the desktop brings the world to your desktop with new, daily background pictures. With this feature, new pictures will automatically appear as your desktop background. This feature already exists for the lock screen. You can also find out more information about each background picture on the web. To turn on this feature, go to Settings > Personalization > Background > Personalize your background. Choose Windows spotlight.
  • We fixed an issue that causes the Input (TextInputHost.exe) app to stop working.
  • We fixed an issue in searchindexer.exe that affects the search for shapes in Microsoft Visio.
  • We prevented users from bypassing forced enrollment by disconnecting from the internet when they sign in to Azure Active Directory (AAD).
  • We fixed an issue that might run an AnyCPU application as a 32-bit process.
  • We fixed an issue that prevents Azure Desired State Configuration (DSC) scenarios that have multiple partial configurations from working as expected.
  • We fixed an issue that affects remote procedure calls (RPC) to the Win32_User or Win32_Group WMI class. The domain member that runs the RPC contacts the primary domain controller (PDC). When multiple RPCs occur simultaneously on many domain members, this might overwhelm the PDC.
  • We fixed an issue that occurs when adding a trusted user, group, or computer that has a one-way trust in place. The error message, “The object selected doesn’t match the type of destination source” appears.
  • We fixed an issue that fails to display the Application Counters section in the performance reports of the Performance Monitor tool.
  • We fixed an issue that fails to maintain the display brightness after you change the display mode.
  • We fixed an issue that might affect some apps that use d3d9.dll with certain graphics cards and might cause those apps to close unexpectedly.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the IE mode window frame.
  • We fixed an issue that affects Group Policy templates.
  • We fixed an issue that prevents internet shortcuts from updating.
  • We fixed an issue that causes some users to see a black screen when they sign in and sign out of Windows.
  • We fixed an issue that causes an Input Method Editor (IME) to discard a character if you enter the character while the IME is converting previous text.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the Desktop Duplication API, which affects display orientation and causes a black image to appear on the screen.
  • We fixed an issue that causes print failures when a low integrity level (LowIL) application prints to a null port.
  • We fixed an issue that prevents BitLocker from encrypting when you use the silent encryption option.
  • We fixed an issue that leads to a false negative when you run scripts while Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) is turned on. This might cause AppLocker events 8029, 8028, or 8037 to appear in the log when they should not .
  • We fixed an issue that occurs when you apply multiple WDAC policies. Doing that might prevent scripts from running when the policies allow scripts to run.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) driver, which might increase the system’s startup time.
  • We fixed an issue that might cause the Remote Desktop client application to stop working when you end a session.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the behavior and shape orientation of a mouse cursor for Microsoft Defender Application Guard (MDAG), Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Edge. This issue occurs when you turn on a virtual graphics processing unit (GPU).
  • We fixed an issue that causes Widgets to appear on the wrong monitor when you hover over the Widgets icon on the taskbar.
  • We added animation to the Widgets icon when you click or tap the icon and the taskbar is aligned on the left.
  • We fixed an issue that affects the rendering of the default Widgets icon on a taskbar that is aligned in the center.
  • We fixed an issue that causes blurry app icons in Search results when the display’s dots per inch (dpi) scaling is greater than 100%.
  • We fixed an issue that causes file copying to be slower because of a wrong calculation of write buffers within cache manager.
  • We fixed an issue that might cause a system to stop responding when a user signs out if Microsoft OneDrive is in use.
  • We fixed a known issue that might prevent recovery discs (CD or DVD) from starting if you created them using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) app in Control Panel. This issue occurs after installing Windows updates released January 11, 2022 or later.

Microsoft has also started testing experimental features for Windows 11 with the help of Insiders in the Dev Channel. Yesterday's Windows 11 Preview Build 25120 was the first one to introduce these features. More details on that here.

Yep, Win 11 is the most secure Windows ever. And Microsoft try out a new way forcing you to use their Edge browser. 

During the first day of Pwn2Own Vancouver 2022, participants demonstrated various zero-day exploits and security loopholes in popular Microsoft products, such as Windows 11 and Teams.

The new Windows 11 desktop search bar will make you use Edge @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix 

The latest Dev Channel Insider Preview Build came with an exciting new addition to the OS.

However, using the new desktop search bar comes with a price many are unwilling to pay.

Every search made through it will default to Edge, ignoring your already preselected browser.

while i was doing the final touch ups on my lady's new machine with win11 pro, she kept insisting that i leave windows update intact and install all the latest updates as part of the setup. i recommended to at least wait a few weeks and delay any updates, but no dice. sooo i went ahead and....after the updates installed the system was shot LOL. no booting anymore, only BSODs and even after applying restore points the install was whacky. off to a fresh install now, lessons were learned (i hope) 😂

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 5

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

7 hours ago, Papusan said:

And Microsoft try out a new way forcing you to use their Edge browser.

Saw this yesterday.  Looks promising.  (Not using Win11 myself so I haven't tried it.)

https://www.neowin.net/news/force-widgets-in-windows-11-or-10-to-use-default-browser-instead-of-edge/

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

2 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Saw this yesterday.  Looks promising.  (Not using Win11 myself so I haven't tried it.)

https://www.neowin.net/news/force-widgets-in-windows-11-or-10-to-use-default-browser-instead-of-edge/

Clicked on your link Force widgets, no need for me, I uninstalled Edge completly, am having no detrimental affects at all. But looks interesting, another experiment to try!

OH! I am on win 10

• Thumb Up 2

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

5 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

while i was doing the final touch ups on my lady's new machine with win11 pro, she kept insisting that i leave windows update intact and install all the latest updates as part of the setup. i recommended to at least wait a few weeks and delay any updates, but no dice. sooo i went ahead and....after the updates installed the system was shot LOL. no booting anymore, only BSODs and even after applying restore points the install was whacky. off to a fresh install now, lessons were learned (i hope) 😂

Am not telling you what to do but do her a favor and put in win 10 and if she realizes the fallout might be better than the whole win11 thing

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aldarxt said:

Clicked on your link Force widgets, no need for me, I uninstalled Edge completly, am having no detrimental affects at all. But looks interesting, another experiment to try!

OH! I am on win 10

Yes, me too. I uninstall it completely with Revo. Edge, Skype, OneDrive all go bye-bye using Revo and I use a script to eradicate Defender. That may soon be difficult without breaking things with Winduhz 11 because they are going full spaz Stasi on some things. It really is unforgivable and a Mac-ish dictatorship way of operating. I find that unacceptable in every way.

• Thumb Up 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

5 hours ago, aldarxt said:

Am not telling you what to do but do her a favor and put in win 10 and if she realizes the fallout might be better than the whole win11 thing

hahaha if it were up to me she'd just be upgraded from her previous LTSC 2019 to LTSC 2021. but nope, she wanted to go back to a "standard" windows version 😛 so win11 pro is what she got. second install runs smoothly now, debloated / decrapped everything and deactivated windows update 🙂 

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, me too. I uninstall it completely with Revo. Edge, Skype, OneDrive all go bye-bye using Revo and I use a script to eradicate Defender. That may soon be difficult without breaking things with Winduhz 11 because they are going full spaz Stasi on some things. It really is unforgivable and a Mac-ish dictatorship way of operating. I find that unacceptable in every way.

yeah man, with every new windows update it gets more and more tricky to get it lean... im shifting more towards pre-modded images like the one i used now (phoenix lite os, fitting name!), saves a lot of tuning work and nerves! 

• Thumb Up 2

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

out of curiosity i decided to backup my m18x r2 and do an inplace upgrade from LTSC 2021 to Win 11 Enterprise (took some key swapping to allow me to keep apps and whatnot). seemed ok at first, until i tried opening epic games launcher and was greeted with a BSOD dxgmms1.sys lol. Restored back to LTSC 2021 and everything is working perfect again, needless to say i think ill wait to see if a LTSC variant of 11 becomes available before i try again. Maybe by then it will have most of the bugs/issues ironed out

• Thumb Up 1

Alienware M18X R2 | Nebula Red | i7 3740QM [OC'd to 4Ghz] | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | 75hz OC'd Display |

MXM to NVMe Adapter with Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Alienware 17 R4 | i7 6700HQ | 16GB RAM | GTX 1070 | 100hz OC'd LG 1080p Display

Alienware M18X R1 | Space Black | i7 2960XM | 16GB RAM | GTX 780M

7 hours ago, Azther said:

out of curiosity i decided to backup my m18x r2 and do an inplace upgrade from LTSC 2021 to Win 11 Enterprise (took some key swapping to allow me to keep apps and whatnot). seemed ok at first, until i tried opening epic games launcher and was greeted with a BSOD dxgmms1.sys lol. Restored back to LTSC 2021 and everything is working perfect again, needless to say i think ill wait to see if a LTSC variant of 11 becomes available before i try again. Maybe by then it will have most of the bugs/issues ironed out

in-place upgrades is their own can of worms though, doesnt necessarily mean that the os upgraded to is crap 😄 for proper testing i would always do clean installs.

• Thumb Up 1

10 hours ago, Azther said:

needless to say i think ill wait to see if a LTSC variant of 11 becomes available before i try again.

I think the fact that they chose to build Win10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 on Windows 10 and not Windows 11 speaks to how "ready" they think that Windows 11 is (or isn't) for enterprise / long-term support.  (Windows 11 actually released before Win10 LTSC 2021 did.)

There will be a LTSC version that is not based on Windows 10 in approx. 2.5 years (late 2024).  That would presumably be Windows 11, but who knows if we'll be talking about Windows 12 by then...

3 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

in-place upgrades is their own can of worms though, doesnt necessarily mean that the os upgraded to is crap 😄 for proper testing i would always do clean installs.

I've had multiple systems last through 5+ in-place upgrades without issues.  (Windows 7 -> Windows 8 -> Windows 8.1 -> different versions of Windows 10.)  I think as long as you keep the system pretty clean then there shouldn't be any issue with this.  It was a bigger problem in the "old days" when Windows was changing a lot more (i.e. Win9x->XP->Vista).

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

6 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I think the fact that they chose to build Win10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 on Windows 10 and not Windows 11 speaks to how "ready" they think that Windows 11 is (or isn't) for enterprise / long-term support.  (Windows 11 actually released before Win10 LTSC 2021 did.)

There will be a LTSC version that is not based on Windows 10 in approx. 2.5 years (late 2024).  That would presumably be Windows 11, but who knows if we'll be talking about Windows 12 by then...

I've had multiple systems last through 5+ in-place upgrades without issues.  (Windows 7 -> Windows 8 -> Windows 8.1 -> different versions of Windows 10.)  I think as long as you keep the system pretty clean then there shouldn't be any issue with this.  It was a bigger problem in the "old days" when Windows was changing a lot more (i.e. Win9x->XP->Vista).

ha, absolutely nooooo argument there on why they chose win10 for ltsc 2021 😄

5+ in-place upgrades, holy guacamole 😳 id say youre one lucky customer then 😅 its already difficult enough to decrap / debloat a clean install, so in combo with an in place upgrade makes that an absolute nogo for me...

4 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

yeah i know they can cause issues from time to time, but ive got my LTSC pretty streamlined. going from a system that can run 24/7 for 3 months straight to a system that BSODs from opening a program that should just work right out of the gate is just a simple no no in my book lol

Alienware M18X R2 | Nebula Red | i7 3740QM [OC'd to 4Ghz] | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 | 75hz OC'd Display |

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

Yeah, heres hoping they make a 12 LTSC without the stupid HW requirement BS. at this point win11 seems like Vista on steroids with the OTT requirements

Windows 11 Update Leaves Trend Micro Users Sitting Ducks To Ransomware

Windows updates are typically supposed to patch security holes, yeees. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Microsoft know exactly what features you'''' need for your Windows pc.

windows-11-stickers.png

Do you want some Stickers on your Windows desktop?

Microsoft is working on integrating support for placing stickers on the Windows 11 desktop. Users who run a recent Windows 11 version 22H2 Insider build can enable the functionality to test it

The Windows 11 Microsoft Store opens up to all Win32 apps... oh, and ads, too

Microsoft Store

Among the plethora of announcements to come out of Build 2022, Microsoft had quite a bit of news relating to the Microsoft Store in Windows 11. With a sly dig at rivals, the company pointed out that developers are able to use their own in-app commerce engines and retain one hundred percent of revenue. But the announcements about what is new are far more noteworthy.

While developers and users alike will welcome full Microsoft Store support for Win32 apps, news about the arrival of Microsoft Store Ads is likely to prove more divisive. But this is not the end of the Store-related announcements.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Papusan said:

Microsoft know exactly what features you'''' need for your Windows pc.

windows-11-stickers.png

Do you want some Stickers on your Windows desktop?

Microsoft is working on integrating support for placing stickers on the Windows 11 desktop. Users who run a recent Windows 11 version 22H2 Insider build can enable the functionality to test it

The Windows 11 Microsoft Store opens up to all Win32 apps... oh, and ads, too

Microsoft Store

Among the plethora of announcements to come out of Build 2022, Microsoft had quite a bit of news relating to the Microsoft Store in Windows 11. With a sly dig at rivals, the company pointed out that developers are able to use their own in-app commerce engines and retain one hundred percent of revenue. But the announcements about what is new are far more noteworthy.

While developers and users alike will welcome full Microsoft Store support for Win32 apps, news about the arrival of Microsoft Store Ads is likely to prove more divisive. But this is not the end of the Store-related announcements.

How do you spell retarded? W-I-N-D-0-W-S-11. Everything they do to it makes if seem more like some nasty chunk of dried up dingleberry butt crust rather than an operating system. 

• Haha 2

"Windows 11 22H2 \ If you exclude the Edge, the language pack and also the C++ runtime environment, there are still 35 apps that come pre-installed"

(...am so very happy to live with ltsc :O)

https://www-deskmodder-de.translate.goog/blog/2022/05/30/windows-11-22h2-noch-9-apps-die-sich-nicht-offiziell-deinstallieren-lassen/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

Are the sheeple following m$ft or is m$ft following the sheeple, kinda like a dog chasing its tale.

I need some pepto-bismol!!!

• Like 1

Windows 11 Widgets performance

Microsoft says Windows 11’s 3rd-party widgets won’t really cause performance issues

Microsoft noted that these Adaptive Cards-based third-party widgets will always use “low memory and CPU”, and their adaptive interface will automatically style them to match the host/form factor experience.

Use of "low memory and Cpu" just mean you'll use more clock cycles than without this feature. Aka Microsoft add in features in the OS that continue steal performance vs older OS. Isn't that correct bro @Mr. Fox ? If I put in 100 kg stones in my car I will loose the cars maximum performance (The more junk you throw in and fill up the car trunk, the worse it will perfom). I will even have to pay more in the gasoline bill. 

This reminds me about Apple's OS for phones. Add in more or less useless features you don't need, only to force people to upgrade their gear before time (the older phones run slower with newer OS because of more added bloat).

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

When people allow Macro$haft and crApple to make all of their decisions it should be assumed and taken for granted that things will not end well. It will end in a manner that best suits their agenda... period.

Another reason im glad to be using LTSC, seems microsoft still havent learned. I remember this exact same tactic when i was using windows 7

3 minutes ago, Azther said:

Another reason im glad to be using LTSC, seems microsoft still havent learned. I remember this exact same tactic when i was using windows 7

mIcRozlop is to big to learn, they follow the $$$$$$$$$$$