NotebookTalk

All about Windows 11 news and announcements

Papusan

On 4/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, Papusan said:

Maybe Microsoft now is able to boost the Win 11 growth? @Ashtrix do you have an Steam Deck? 

Steam Deck: New BIOS allows Windows 11 to be installed

STEAMDECK New BIOS allows Windows 11 to be installed

With the Steam Deck OS Beta Patch and a new BIOS, Valve enables the installation of Windows 11 on the handheld game console.

I wanted to buy Steam Deck, but the internal design of Heatsink is horrible garbage.

First they are using a flex cable which runs over the glued in L shape battery (yes you read it right, it's like Apple's  BGA DUMPSTER) Then you have this weird metal sheet that sits atop the whole SoC (it has Phases under it too), that sheet is forming a negative pressure it seems (Steve from GN mentioned that negative pressure aspect) and then the memory has no cooling it's just using that negative pressure air flow I guess. Also with that L shape it will be hard to get an aftermarket battery after 3-4 years because of 2 Cell design.

Second the SoC is screwed down with guess what ? TRIPOD cancer, and the worst is metal sheet goes along with the Tripod mess to form more pressure at 2 points of the sheet it screws down with the 2 arms of the tripod. So the whole thing feels like garbage to me. To make it worse the M.2 sits near to the power delivery of the SoC and from Steve's GN analysis the IO controller of the M.2 drive becomes very hot.

Also the battery backup is horrible, they chose this garbage design of glue on top why ?? Remember old computers, we had even with Alienware all socketed machines except Ranger AW17 and AW18 Viking all were slot in, even Clevo uses it. Old Precision, HP, Compaq damn any machine had those nice packs. These guys could have used it on Deck and sold battery packs like how Xbox Controller has, or the Nintendo's 3DS series which also sported modular batteries (well they went full 180 with Switch which has piss poor QC, joycon drift, insanely anti hack policies (they sued a hacker for millions, 10M USD) and other junk like 3 points of battery failure on Switch - One is Joycon right, Two Left Joycon, Three Console itself).

Plus points are - no Drift on Joysticks (there was a firmware issue which they fixed apparently with deadzone), modular design for all the components ( minus battery which ruins it), Good Steam OS Software vision - using Vulktan Proton stack to help with all Windows titles, most titles can be played. Solid Retro console emulator.

They could have avoided all that garbage and went with a vapor chamber design and have a fan to the system. So no I skip this product, plus I rarely use my phone everything is PC nowadays. I hate all this portable junk. Steam Deck was in my eyes for a long time but due to the above design decisions I'm skipping it entirely. Shame as I wanted to see LTSC on Deck and as a pocket powerful PC not a dummy Smartphone junk.

• Thumb Up 2

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1

bah!!

I bought a omen 16 2022 laptop and it forced me to install windows 11 and i'd imagine alot of people are being forced to use this slow turb based OS..I have yet to put windows 10 on it as I don't want to re install everything it's setup just the way I like it and besides im using oso shutup and start is back....anyone else tweaking windows 11 and not minding it...that is forced to use it

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 3/31/2022 at 8:59 AM, Reciever said:

I would expect that this may be misleading a bit.

Whats likely occurring is people finding out Windows update pushed Win11 and thus a sizeable portion is rewinding it back to Win10 while others are still being pushed to Win11 in the interim.

Likely to be a slow rollout as there isnt much incentive to move up and the upgrade stories left a bad taste in many peoples mouth the last 2 major updates (Win8>Win10).

I got W11 is ready to install when I enabled Windows updates on my unsupported machines. I have disabled windows update and also cleaned up downloaded win update cab files.

• Thumb Up 2

Dealing with Micro$lop is like having to put up with feral cats and stray dogs screwing up your stuff. Part of you feels bad for them, but eventually the day comes that you terminate them because being humane and sympathetic is no longer an option. Stopping the damage is the only thing that matters, even if it means becoming harsh and brutal to prevent them from screwing up more stuff. They are expendable and a nuisance, and patience is limited.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Microsoft starts offering Windows 11 ARM VMs in Azure.

(...But they still won't license Windows on ARM for individual purchase, or use in a local VM setup for use with i.e. VMware Workstation/Fusion, or Parallels on a M1 Mac.)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-brings-arm-support-to-azure-virtual-machines/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/now-in-preview-azure-virtual-machines-with-ampere-altra-armbased-processors/

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Microsoft unveils plans to integrate Windows 11 and Windows 365 via hybrid Cloud PC experiences Windowscentral | April 5, 2022

The future of Windows is the cloud, according to Microsoft..... 

Surface Pro 8 outside on a table showing Windows 11 desktop Techradar.com | April 5, 2022
Microsoft is improving its touch controls on Windows 11 with new update

Microsoft has announced that Windows 11 is getting new and improved touch snap layouts on touch-enabled devices.
Surface users rejoice, Windows 11 is getting better touch snap options

Since snapping four windows onto a Surface Go’s 10-inch display is already too much information to handle, we can only hope that Microsoft has carefully considered the snap layouts that users might actually want to use on their touch compatible devices. 

4gz9LmG8kt52cqXgABNuy4-1024-80.jpg.webp

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

On 4/5/2022 at 8:13 AM, Aaron44126 said:

Microsoft starts offering Windows 11 ARM VMs in Azure.

(...But they still won't license Windows on ARM for individual purchase, or use in a local VM setup for use with i.e. VMware Workstation/Fusion, or Parallels on a M1 Mac.)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-brings-arm-support-to-azure-virtual-machines/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/now-in-preview-azure-virtual-machines-with-ampere-altra-armbased-processors/

This is very confusing for small players who wants Qualcomm based SOCs but no W11ARM license makes it hard to adopt and most of load ChromeOS w/ not many hefty minimum requirements to install/integrate.

On 4/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, ryan said:

bah!!

I bought a omen 16 2022 laptop and it forced me to install windows 11 and i'd imagine alot of people are being forced to use this slow turb based OS..I have yet to put windows 10 on it as I don't want to re install everything it's setup just the way I like it and besides im using oso shutup and start is back....anyone else tweaking windows 11 and not minding it...that is forced to use it

You weren't forced to do anything. It may download Windows 11, but you have to click the button to install it. I've headed off my machines at the pass by uninstalling the "PC health check" app that Microsoft stealthily puts on during the first set of Windows updates. After that, I've never been bothered. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

It seems like they have chosen to accept and celebrate their defects rather than mitigate them, which is fitting with the modern way of skirting and excusing issues.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, Vasudev said:

I got W11 is ready to install when I enabled Windows updates on my unsupported machines. I have disabled windows update and also cleaned up downloaded win update cab files.

When will Windows 11 stop screwing up the little things? pcworld.com | April 6, 2022

Microsoft seems oblivious to the importance of efficiency.

At this point, using Windows 11 feels like signing up for death by a thousand paper cuts. I like to get through my to-do list without added headache. I have no reason to leave Windows 10, which works extremely well. Our official Windows 11 six-month report card reached a similar conclusion. In fact, I feel sorry for new PC owners saddled with what feels like a half-baked operating system.

Couldn't say it better myself. See bolded text above. Even if you tweak the OS for your likings, its still a half-baked OS! Isn't that correct bro @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox?

And it seem they they follow same paths forwards. 

Do you remember when Microsoft said Windows 10 is "...the last Windows?" We sure do. It is obvious now that the Redmond software giant has walked back on that claim, as it has since released Windows 11. And apparently, for Windows 11, yet another OS installation could be in your future. 
  • Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

21 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Couldn't say it better myself. See bolded text above. Even if you tweak the OS for your likings, its still a half-baked OS! Isn't that correct bro @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox?

yes, it is

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

What about android apps running on w11? Does it work smooth? I'm trying to think what android apps I would want to run on a computer, the ones I use most are browsers.  The phone specific app that I use most is just maps for directions on the fly in the car or walking around no need while I'm sitting at a computer. Idk maybe a cloud thing for getting photos off your phone instead of plugging it in or taking out the micro card, or if your phone doesn't have a micro slot and you use a cloud storage service on your phone. Going the other way it seems like a windows install on a 7-10" tablet would need pretty beefy hardware. Still strange to me that windows discontinued it's phone OS, such a huge market to abandon. I never had a windows phone though.

47 minutes ago, Hertzian56 said:

What about android apps running on w11? Does it work smooth? I'm trying to think what android apps I would want to run on a computer, the ones I use most are browsers.  The phone specific app that I use most is just maps for directions on the fly in the car or walking around no need while I'm sitting at a computer. Idk maybe a cloud thing for getting photos off your phone instead of plugging it in or taking out the micro card, or if your phone doesn't have a micro slot and you use a cloud storage service on your phone. Going the other way it seems like a windows install on a 7-10" tablet would need pretty beefy hardware. Still strange to me that windows discontinued it's phone OS, such a huge market to abandon. I never had a windows phone though.

Most of the interest on that front would likely be relegated in large part to Mobile games There is a large market for that in the poorer areas of the world (at least per capita).

Microsoft only needed to support their own platform as both Android and iOS are a serious pain to work with as platforms, they just didnt want to cut better deals with the market nor wanted to make additional attempts at more mobile phones.

They are a huge sleeping giant that cant be bothered to roll over to get what they want these days. Especially if they had plans to support Android from within on their timelines.

• Like 2

I feel pretty fortunate that my laptop is unable to run Windows 11.  I really hope to avoid it - it's taken me a while to get used to windows 10...

Back in the day I used to run Linux on my laptop - it was a pain because of drivers (for audio, keyboard, etc) and any windows required software had to run in a VM.  This just wasn't possible to keep up for work.

But I might go back to Linux for home use - the games are really all I care about and Steam has been paving the way.

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

15 hours ago, FredSRichardson said:

I feel pretty fortunate that my laptop is unable to run Windows 11.  I really hope to avoid it - it's taken me a while to get used to windows 10...

Back in the day I used to run Linux on my laptop - it was a pain because of drivers (for audio, keyboard, etc) and any windows required software had to run in a VM.  This just wasn't possible to keep up for work.

But I might go back to Linux for home use - the games are really all I care about and Steam has been paving the way.

Mine is unsupported reason being Ivybridge and skylake. On 2 of them, i enabled windows update to update intel uwp control panel but instead it started downloading esd file for Win 11 and i stopped mid-way and disabled windows update and download offline appx file from adguard.

Edited by Vasudev
typo

it came preinstalled with windows 11 didn't have a choice and I dont have a copy of windows ten unless the downgrade is free I don't see the point..

also @saturnotakuwhat does your blade advanced score in timespy curious as I have a similar setup/same specs

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

it came preinstalled with windows 11 didn't have a choice and I dont have a copy of windows ten unless the downgrade is free I don't see the point..

Downgrade is free and installation media can be pulled from Microsoft.  (Just make sure to install the same edition of Windows that the system came with, Home vs Pro.)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

• Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Here's Microsoft's new Easter egg for the Windows 11 users in 2022. M$ software engineers hate flexibility in their latest and greatest OS. One fits all. And you all should go for a M$ Surfacebook or an tablet to get most of their new touch friendly desktop tablet  OS. Look at this beauty bro @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox

In a recent Ask Me Anything (AMA), Microsoft revealed that it does not plan to make the Taskbar movable because of engineering difficulties and lack of public demand. However, that makes no sense.

Tablets and tuchscreen functionality in windows 11 is priority nr 1, 2 and 3.

Windows 11 saw the taskbar being completely rebuilt using XAML. At the moment, the company is focused on bringing minor features to it, including a better overflow experience for icons or system tray optimizations for tablets or touchscreen PCs running the latest OS.

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-says-missing-windows-11-taskbar-features-arent-returning

Coming over to the problem.... The rebuilt Taskbar is reportedly a relic from the now-defunct Windows 10X, an OS that was being designed for dual-screen devices where design simplification was needed. Simply porting it over to Windows 11 meant that people on regular devices lost a lot of functionality in the process.

In other words, there was no massive demand to redesign the Taskbar for existing, "traditional" Windows devices. Microsoft essentially broke what was already working fine for everyone.

Apple and Google will get more and real competition in the tablet/phone OS world going forwards. People want thin and slim HW so Microsoft has to deliver....

If you want to waste your time..... 

• Like 5

New loads of bugfixes is coming for Win 11. I wonder how long the list would be if we summed all patches/fixes since release +6 months ago. 

Windows 11 22000.651 (KB5012643, RP) improves TPM, Startup and Secure Boot

What's new in Windows 11 Build 22000.651, KB5012643

• New! Microsoft added improvements for servicing the Secure Boot component of Windows.
  • Fixed an issue that causes the AppX Deployment Service (AppXSvc) to stop working after you install certain MSIX apps.
  • Fixed a race condition that occurs early in the startup process that might cause a stop error.
  • Improved the Autopilot client to process updated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) capabilities that support self-deployment and pre-provisioning scenarios.
  • Changed the timeout for Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) registration from 60 minutes to 90 minutes for hybrid Azure AD-joined Autopilot scenarios. This also addresses a race condition that causes an exception at timeout.
  • Fixed an issue that delays OS startup by approximately 40 minutes.
  • Fixed a memory leak issue that affects Windows systems that are in use 24 hours each day of the week.
  • Fixed an issue that affects the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) option 119 (Domain Search List) by preventing the use of the connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List.
  • Fixed an issue that affects the Title attribute in Microsoft Ege IE mode.
  • Fixed an issue in which mobile device management (MDM) policies were not allowed on Windows Enterprise editions that were upgraded to Enterprise using Azure AD-joined subscription entitlement.
  • Fixed an issue that might cause video subtitles to be partially cut off.
  • Fixed an issue that incorrectly aligns video subtitles.
  • Fixed an issue that causes Kerberos authentication to fail, and the error is “0xc0030009 (RPC_NT_NULL_REF_POINTER)”. This occurs when a client machine attempts to use the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to connect to another machine while Remote Credential Guard is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue that causes Windows to go into BitLocker recovery after a servicing update.
  • Fixed an issue that prevents retrieval of the Endorsement Key (EK) certificate from the TPM device.
  • Fixed an issue that might fail to copy the security portion of a Group Policy to a machine.
  • Fixed an issue that prevents the instantiation of the Microsoft RDP Client Control, version 11 and higher, inside a Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) dialog.
  • Displayed the temperature on top of the weather icon on the taskbar.
  • Fixed an issue that prevents you from using the minimize, maximize, and close buttons on a maximized app window. This issue occurs because the Notification Center keeps the input focus.
  • Fixed an issue that might occur when you use Netdom.exe or the Active Directory Domains and Trusts snap-in to list or modify name suffixes routing. These procedures might fail. The error message is, “Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.” This issue occurs after installing the January 2022 security update on the primary domain controller emulator (PDCe).
  • Fixed an issue that causes the primary domain controller (PDC) of the root domain to generate warning and error events in the System log. This issue occurs when the PDC incorrectly tries to scan outgoing-only trusts.
  • Fixed an issue that occurs when you map a network drive to a Server Message Block version 1 (SMBv1) share. After restarting the OS, you cannot access that network drive.
  • Fixed an issue that affects an SMB multichannel connection and might generate a 13A or C2 error.
  • Fixed an issue that damages a pool when a Client-Side Caching (CSC) cleanup method fails to delete a resource that was created.
  • Fixed an issue that might cause the server to lock up because the nonpaged pool grows and uses up all memory. After a restart, the same issue occurs again when you try to repair the damage.
  • Feduced the overhead of resource contention in high input/output operations per second (IOPS) scenarios that have many threads contending on a single file.

Check out the official release notes for more details.

• Thumb Up 2

I know my surprised look isn't on my face, but confirmation is always appreciated. Windows 11 gives those who still love and continue to use Windows 7 even less incentive to move the the latest OS because it is even more undesirable than Windows 8.X or 10 were.

One survey says Windows 11 adoption hasn't even surpassed Windows XP yet | TechSpot

By Daniel Sims April 17, 2022, 7:42 AM

The big picture: Before Windows 11 launched, it was met with controversy over its confusing system requirements. A few months later, data is beginning to show that this may have stalled the operating system's adoption. How severely depends on who you ask.

A survey released by IT company Lansweeper this week paints a dismal picture for Windows 11 adoption among enterprise workstations. Among over 10 million devices surveyed, just 1.44% ran Windows 11. That's less than the 1.71% still using the 20-year-old Windows XP and the 4.7% using Windows 7. Windows 10 predictably dominates, detected on 80.34% of systems.

Another Lansweeper survey of over 30 million devices reveals what is likely a major factor in Windows 11's sluggish adoption: over half of enterprise workstations don't meet its system requirements. Only 44% of systems passed its notorious CPU requirements. The company's numbers come from anonymous scans of systems running its software, not unlike Steam's monthly surveys.

2022-04-15-image-14-j.webp

@Papusan

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 3

@Papusan and @Mr. Fox I believe W11 market survey is based on force upgraded to W11 just to get more OS usage.

TPM, Secure Boot etc being serviced/update by windows. It seems due to many OEMs neglecting BIOS updates to EOL machine is causing an issue. I think OEMs should support atleast 4 years and make less devices. Now there is too many devices to service and good machine or well performant machines are just EOL'ed to make way for new machines.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 3
  • Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Vasudev said:

@Papusan and @Mr. Fox I believe W11 market survey is based on force upgraded to W11 just to get more OS usage.

TPM, Secure Boot etc being serviced/update by windows. It seems due to many OEMs neglecting BIOS updates to EOL machine is causing an issue. I think OEMs should support atleast 4 years and make less devices. Now there is too many devices to service and good machine or well performant machines are just EOL'ed to make way for new machines.

I'm sure that if there were more zombie turdbooks in circulation the market share of Windows 11 would be higher than it is right now. I suspect there are quite a few kiddos out there that want what they can't have, even though what they want is garbage. The Smart ones will figure out how to get what they want through common bypasses, but the rest will just whine about it, LOL. They should all be glad that their machines don't qualify for the downgrade. Just one less thing that doesn't need to be manually blocked.

• Like 3
  • Bump 2

On 4/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, Papusan said:

New loads of bugfixes is coming for Win 11. I wonder how long the list would be if we summed all patches/fixes since release +6 months ago. 

Windows 11 22000.651 (KB5012643, RP) improves TPM, Startup and Secure Boot

What's new in Windows 11 Build 22000.651, KB5012643

• New! Microsoft added improvements for servicing the Secure Boot component of Windows.
  • Fixed an issue that causes the AppX Deployment Service (AppXSvc) to stop working after you install certain MSIX apps.
  • Fixed a race condition that occurs early in the startup process that might cause a stop error.
  • Improved the Autopilot client to process updated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) capabilities that support self-deployment and pre-provisioning scenarios.
  • Changed the timeout for Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) registration from 60 minutes to 90 minutes for hybrid Azure AD-joined Autopilot scenarios. This also addresses a race condition that causes an exception at timeout.
  • Fixed an issue that delays OS startup by approximately 40 minutes.
  • Fixed a memory leak issue that affects Windows systems that are in use 24 hours each day of the week.
  • Fixed an issue that affects the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) option 119 (Domain Search List) by preventing the use of the connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List.
  • Fixed an issue that affects the Title attribute in Microsoft Ege IE mode.
  • Fixed an issue in which mobile device management (MDM) policies were not allowed on Windows Enterprise editions that were upgraded to Enterprise using Azure AD-joined subscription entitlement.
  • Fixed an issue that might cause video subtitles to be partially cut off.
  • Fixed an issue that incorrectly aligns video subtitles.
  • Fixed an issue that causes Kerberos authentication to fail, and the error is “0xc0030009 (RPC_NT_NULL_REF_POINTER)”. This occurs when a client machine attempts to use the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to connect to another machine while Remote Credential Guard is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue that causes Windows to go into BitLocker recovery after a servicing update.
  • Fixed an issue that prevents retrieval of the Endorsement Key (EK) certificate from the TPM device.
  • Fixed an issue that might fail to copy the security portion of a Group Policy to a machine.
  • Fixed an issue that prevents the instantiation of the Microsoft RDP Client Control, version 11 and higher, inside a Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) dialog.
  • Displayed the temperature on top of the weather icon on the taskbar.
  • Fixed an issue that prevents you from using the minimize, maximize, and close buttons on a maximized app window. This issue occurs because the Notification Center keeps the input focus.
  • Fixed an issue that might occur when you use Netdom.exe or the Active Directory Domains and Trusts snap-in to list or modify name suffixes routing. These procedures might fail. The error message is, “Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.” This issue occurs after installing the January 2022 security update on the primary domain controller emulator (PDCe).
  • Fixed an issue that causes the primary domain controller (PDC) of the root domain to generate warning and error events in the System log. This issue occurs when the PDC incorrectly tries to scan outgoing-only trusts.
  • Fixed an issue that occurs when you map a network drive to a Server Message Block version 1 (SMBv1) share. After restarting the OS, you cannot access that network drive.
  • Fixed an issue that affects an SMB multichannel connection and might generate a 13A or C2 error.
  • Fixed an issue that damages a pool when a Client-Side Caching (CSC) cleanup method fails to delete a resource that was created.
  • Fixed an issue that might cause the server to lock up because the nonpaged pool grows and uses up all memory. After a restart, the same issue occurs again when you try to repair the damage.
  • Feduced the overhead of resource contention in high input/output operations per second (IOPS) scenarios that have many threads contending on a single file.

Check out the official release notes for more details.

Do the windows 11 people know the windows 10 people? Or do they live in different countries? How could all these problems be on 11 and not on 10?

• Thumb Up 3

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

2 hours ago, aldarxt said:

Do the windows 11 people know the windows 10 people? Or do they live in different countries? How could all these problems be on 11 and not on 10?

Some problems is on both OS's but minor changes in the kernel for Win 11 open up a new door for more bugs/flaws.

Yep, next move from Windows developers will be deleting legacy compatibility from the latest and greatest OS. Same also. Expect they will remove more and optional registry keys (no more hacks) so you won't be able to change the OS (UI) for your likings or if you want the older Windows looks/style. See the beauty bro @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox

Windows 11's launch saga made many enthusiasts apprehensive while hardware requirements led to dismally low adoption rates. (Image source: Notebookcheck - edited)

Windows 11 taskbar downgrade and 3 other ways Microsoft is making its ubiquitous OS worse

Microsoft's insistence on signing in with an account will most likely drive away people with little or no internet connection — a consequence that shows Microsoft isn't interested in catering to everyone anymore. Will legacy compatibility be the next victim of progress? 

They want you all jumo on their new lap-jokes....

Surface Laptop Studio gets Voice Clarity and touchpad improvements

Gamers’ worst nightmares come true! Xbox is adding ads to free-to-play games

Advertising in Xbox games: Microsoft is building a program to broker ads

ADVERTISING IN XBOX GAMESMicrosoft is building ad placement program

Microsoft wants to give developers the opportunity to sell advertising space in free-to-play games.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:16 PM, Mr. Fox said:

I know my surprised look isn't on my face, but confirmation is always appreciated. Windows 11 gives those who still love and continue to use Windows 7 even less incentive to move the the latest OS because it is even more undesirable than Windows 8.X or 10 were.

One survey says Windows 11 adoption hasn't even surpassed Windows XP yet | TechSpot

By Daniel Sims April 17, 2022, 7:42 AM

The big picture: Before Windows 11 launched, it was met with controversy over its confusing system requirements. A few months later, data is beginning to show that this may have stalled the operating system's adoption. How severely depends on who you ask.

A survey released by IT company Lansweeper this week paints a dismal picture for Windows 11 adoption among enterprise workstations. Among over 10 million devices surveyed, just 1.44% ran Windows 11. That's less than the 1.71% still using the 20-year-old Windows XP and the 4.7% using Windows 7. Windows 10 predictably dominates, detected on 80.34% of systems.

Another Lansweeper survey of over 30 million devices reveals what is likely a major factor in Windows 11's sluggish adoption: over half of enterprise workstations don't meet its system requirements. Only 44% of systems passed its notorious CPU requirements. The company's numbers come from anonymous scans of systems running its software, not unlike Steam's monthly surveys.

2022-04-15-image-14-j.webp

@Papusan

That's interesting. Last i checked the marketshare for Windows 11 was at 8% and Windows 7 still has around 12% and Windows 10 at near 75%.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

1% is very low for an OS that been out for almost 6 months so im kinda skeptical about that

• Thumb Up 3

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2