NotebookTalk

What game are you playing now?

cucubits

46 minutes ago, Sandy Bridge said:

It's a new one called, "back up knowledge from NotebookReview."  You can restart if you fail, but you only have a set amount of real-life time from the start of the game until it's over.  So not really permadeath like survival games, but with that interesting time-based twist.

Prior to that, I'm a strategy gamer, so I play a lot of Paradox games.  But most recently, Civilization III.  It still has a community around it that organizes games that everyone plays in single player each quarter and then compares how it went for them.  I'm far from one of the best, but it's still fun seeing how it winds up.

I'm eagerly awaiting Old World arriving on Steam and/or GOG, probably in Q2.

"Back-up knowledge from NotebookReview" is quite consuming, I'm hooked already... I might be on a different DLC I think though.

Do I hear someone might like a game of Stellaris from time to time? It tops the list of my favourite games, but I need to take 6-month breaks, apparently.

3 hours ago, Hiew said:

"Back-up knowledge from NotebookReview" is quite consuming, I'm hooked already... I might be on a different DLC I think though.

Do I hear someone might like a game of Stellaris from time to time? It tops the list of my favourite games, but I need to take 6-month breaks, apparently.

It is time-consuming.  Arguably rewarding though, but I haven't reached the end.

Alas, Stellaris is one of the Paradox games that hasn't drawn me in.  It may just be because I tend to be a fan of history; Galactic Civilizations never pulled me in like Civilization did, either.  But my top four Paradox games, pretty much in order, are EU4, HOI4, Vicky II, and CKII (EU3 is probably second or third in overall playtime, but has been eclipsed by EU4).  It's not so much that I don't like Stellaris as that when I play it, I play the expansion phase, build a nice empire, make some allies, and then when it's time to go fight a few neighbors, I don't have the enthusiasm for that.

Haven't got into Imperator at all (somehow the learning curve seemed steeper than Vicky II, maybe it's just harder to realize you're doing things wrong in Vicky II), and haven't picked up CK III yet.  In December and early January I was playing a Novgorod EU4 game, which was quite satisfying finally overcoming Muscovy after failing in previous attempts over the years.  But now it's at a point where Novgorod is a pretty much impervious power, so it's not as interesting as when there were real, scary opponents to deal with.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

4 hours ago, Sandy Bridge said:

It's a new one called, "back up knowledge from NotebookReview."  You can restart if you fail, but you only have a set amount of real-life time from the start of the game until it's over.  So not really permadeath like survival games, but with that interesting time-based twist.

Prior to that, I'm a strategy gamer, so I play a lot of Paradox games.  But most recently, Civilization III.  It still has a community around it that organizes games that everyone plays in single player each quarter and then compares how it went for them.  I'm far from one of the best, but it's still fun seeing how it winds up.

I'm eagerly awaiting Old World arriving on Steam and/or GOG, probably in Q2.

Reminds me of Mission Impossible, I just need one more minute, just one more minute!

Been sinking too much time into Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis; would be putting more time in but I'm prepping for a move on Friday, and it's gonna be a long day.

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

22 hours ago, cucubits said:

I've never heard of this one but looking at a quick gameplay video now, it looks very cool. Almost gives me Gothic vibes. Do tell more, is it relying on PvP? As in, is there anything to do if the player base is too low? Is there PvE as well? Solo quests?

It's an Amazon game, was super hyped pre-launch, concurrent players online during launch week broke Steam records. For some reason it lost players quickly, not really sure why, compared to every MMO I've played at launch it had a fairly stable launch. PvP is a big part of the game because it is how control of land is determined. However, there is a large PvE element as well, plenty of solo content and also a good bit of dungeons for group content. The player base took a big dump, but there is still plenty of people to group up with when you want (at least on the server I play on).

• Thumb Up 1

2 minutes ago, HWI said:

It's an Amazon game, was super hyped pre-launch, concurrent players online during launch week broke Steam records. For some reason it lost players quickly, not really sure why, compared to every MMO I've played at launch it had a fairly stable launch. PvP is a big part of the game because it is how control of land is determined. However, there is a large PvE element as well, plenty of solo content and also a good bit of dungeons for group content. The player base took a big dump, but there is still plenty of people to group up with when you want (at least on the server I play on).

Cool. I'll keep my eye on this one for sure. I've been going through some gameplay videos and it really looks great.

Glad to see this thread carrying on.

I'm laying Mass Effect: Andromeda. Just beat Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. I never played any Mass Effect games until recently and wow, I did not know what I was signing up for when I got that trilogy of games. 400+ hours later and I'm still hungry for more.

Also, Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved. Nice for a change of pace, and loads of arcade fun.

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" NP940X5N - 15.0" 1080p IPS glossy touchscreen | Intel Coffeelake i7-8550U CPU | AMD Radeon 540 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM | 256GB SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8625 | S Pen

MSI GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro - 14" 1080p IPS matte screen | Intel Skylake i7-6700HQ CPU | nVidia Pascal GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM | 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD | Intel Wireless AC 8260 | Thunderbolt 3 port | IC Diamond Thermal Compound on CPU + GPU

Looks like Wolcen may have caught my interest enough to warrant a full playthrough. I only have a few hours so far but it's a lot of fun.

Making a ranged character I'm still trying to figure out what are the best stats and active skills to use but for gear, I discovered purely  by chance that I can put two pistols, one in each hand and it will greatly increase fire rate.

Any other tips like this to increase DPS? Is there any other item type which maybe synergizes with a pistol?

I Bought one year of game pass ultimate to try some games, first one is Forza Horizon 5😀

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

On 1/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Prototime said:

Just beat Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. I never played any Mass Effect games until recently and wow, I did not know what I was signing up for when I got that trilogy of games.

I heard good things about Mass Effect (original trilogy, anyway) and I'm planning to give this a try soon.

Sort of liking the "activity" feature on this forum as it has me poking around different parts a bit... on NBR, I stayed in the Precision niche.

So I will ramble about games for a bit!  I pretty much always have a game going.  I have a backlog that is way too long to ever get through (like most of us probably).  I enjoy bouncing between genres, and between epochs (checking out both older games and newer games).  If I had to pick a favorite genre it would probably be "Metroidvania" (Hollow Knight FTW, can't wait for Silksong).  But I also enjoy platformers, JRPGs, strategy games, puzzle games, .......I'll basically try anything.  My time is limited with work & kids so I stick to single player (playing for an hour per day maybe after everyone else goes to bed).  I'm also into emulation, I love how you can play games from just about any platform on the PC.

Always interested in suggestions for basically something that is an enjoyable single player experience but doesn't take like hundreds of hours to feel like you finished it.

Lately I've been doing more 2D/pixel games — I do enjoy the style, but also I recently downgraded my graphics card to raise funds for a new laptop purchase this year.  Once that arrives I'll get back into some newer high-end/3D games.  Some 2D/pixel games that I have played lately that I enjoyed are Celeste, Wargroove, The Messenger (hilarious dialogue), and Shovel Knight: King of Cards.

I am currently playing an older game – Tales of Phantasia, PlayStation version, in RetroArch, with this English patch specifically.  I've been playing it for about a month and I'm pretty close to the end, exploring the depths of the Moria mine.

Spoiler

13135587_TalesofPhantasia(Englishpatch)-220127-183823.thumb.png.662012e4582602e66978baf6ffac26c1.png

2132449528_TalesofPhantasia(Englishpatch)-220127-183808.thumb.png.9154323adcc60fd13aeb67c67507ebcd.png

1369809984_TalesofPhantasia(Englishpatch)-220127-183743.thumb.png.254484c6b1e5bc1c059503bd0b30580c.png

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Other than Final Fantasy XIV, I'll be playing Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U, at least until sometime next week, which is when my copy of Pokemon Legends: Arceus is due to arrive.

Mobile Tech: Apple MacBook Pro (16-inch, M1 Pro, Late 2021) | Apple iPad Pro (11-inch, Cellular (AT&T), 2020) | Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max | Samsung Galaxy Z Flip | Apple Watch SE
Portable Gaming: New Nintendo 3DS XL | Nintendo DSi LL
Automotive: 2010 Honda Accord EX-L with Navigation (2.4L) | 1992 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado (Crate 305)

Currently:
Order of Battle: World War 2
New World
Outriders

Waiting for:
Starship Troopers Terrain Command
Company of Heroes 3
Return to Nangrim
The Day before
ChaosGate Daemonhunters

Not sure but waitig for new CPUs and GPUs is a game too http://notebook-review.com/core/images/smilies/biggrin.png ?

cheerio

jp

1. Desktop Gaming RIG | i7 13700KF | MSI MEGZ690 Unify | F5-6400 CL32 not testet yet  | M.2_1 SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB | MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio white Edition | Lian Li O11D XL with 10 Fan setup | 3 bottom (in-take) | 3 top (in-take) | 3 side (out-take | 1 back (out.take)
2. Mobile Gaming | Raider GE78HX 13VI

3. MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth
4. MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider with 4K Screen

R.I.P GE76 Raider 11UH-208 UK with BOE CQ NE173QHM-NZ1 WQHD 240Hz

Looks like the next months will be quite full gaming-wise. I'm looking forward very much to the following titles, all coming very soon:

- Dying Light 2

- Elden Ring

- Elex 2

Elex 2 may not be so well known but if you liked the old Gothic series, it very much hits home. I enjoyed Elex very much.

I'm still playing WoW. Just leveling alts. I've also been having outings with Diablo II Resurrected. I might dip back and play CP2077 again or DX:MD

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

I play a little bit of "State of Decay 2", at the hardest difficulty level, and "Frostpunk", again at the hardest difficulty.  Frostpunk is the game you can play and win, then come back to it years later and realize you forgot how you did it and re-discover how to do it all over again.

P7730 / 6-core / 64GB ECC RAM / 3 x 2TB NVME; P7760 / 8-core / 128GB ECC RAM

Steiger Dynamics 16 core Ryzen 7950X / RTX A6000 48GB GPU / 128 GB RAM / 5x4TB NVME

Started playing gears of war 4 😀

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Started Far Cry 6, unsure about it so far.  It seems like more of the same, but I've only put a handful of hours into it.

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

21 hours ago, electrosoft said:

I'm still playing WoW. Just leveling alts. I've also been having outings with Diablo II Resurrected. I might dip back and play CP2077 again or DX:MD

I've though about going back to WoW, haven't played in a couple years, but my desire to play again is just not quite high enough to overcome the monthly subscription barrier. I think they would get a load of players back if they dropped the subscription and went free to play like New World or Guild Wars.

I know I badmouthed GOW over on NBR but the longer I play it it is a pretty incredible game, I'm in the mountain now and it's definitely cool. I guess I just had very high expectations from all the pr and reviews which were too high with the bugs, the terrible textures etc on original at upscaled dlss 1080p etc These major sequels and ports just suffer from all that imo, better to be a surprise hit like TW3. I think Dying Light 2 will not live up to DL1 either.  Oh and I'm going to try the Silent Hill 2 with the Enhanced Edition stuff, totally excited about that more than anything.

https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/silent-hill-2-enhanced-edition-pc-gets-a-project-status-update-video/

I still haven't picked up GoW and will probably skip this one. Loved the old ones and this does seem spectacular but I wish they hadn't taken the route they did with integrating the kid in the gameplay. Maybe one day a mod will come out to remove him 😋

2 hours ago, HWI said:

I've though about going back to WoW, haven't played in a couple years, but my desire to play again is just not quite high enough to overcome the monthly subscription barrier. I think they would get a load of players back if they dropped the subscription and went free to play like New World or Guild Wars.

I agree, but with their acquisition by Microsoft if they fold everything into Game Pass I can see them gaining quite a few new users along with expanding the value of the current monthly subscription price for active players.

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

18 hours ago, electrosoft said:

I agree, but with their acquisition by Microsoft if they fold everything into Game Pass I can see them gaining quite a few new users along with expanding the value of the current monthly subscription price for active players.

Really good point about Game Pass, that did not even cross my mind. Curious to see how that unfolds.