NotebookTalk

What game are you playing now?

cucubits

I broke and bought Elden Ring, played it for about 5 hours and already got tired of redoing things. Installed AC:Valhalla since I finally finished everything in Odyssey and been playing that for a bit. Good so far. It seems to perform better than Odyssey so far, but I'm still in the general area where you start, not sure if it gets more intense later. Game itself is great so far.

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

30 minutes ago, hfm said:

I broke and bought Elden Ring, played it for about 5 hours and already got tired of redoing things. Installed AC:Valhalla since I finally finished everything in Odyssey and been playing that for a bit. Good so far. It seems to perform better than Odyssey so far, but I'm still in the general area where you start, not sure if it gets more intense later. Game itself is great so far.

I must make confession here. I hate buying games based on the "movie trailers" and then find that game play is totally fecal in nature. Hence....I borrow games from my friend with an eye patch and try them out first, then buy my own copy if I like it.

I gave up on Generation Zero and now testing Chernobylite. Reminds me of Metro 2033 and Metro Last light (both of which I bought)

Trying to forget whats going down in EU right now and playing this Chernobyl game....idiot:classic_wacko:

• Thumb Up 1

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

7 minutes ago, Eban said:

I must make confession here. I hate buying games based on the "movie trailers" and then find that game play is totally fecal in nature. Hence....I borrow games from my friend with an eye patch and try them out first, then buy my own copy if I like it.

I gave up on Generation Zero and now testing Chernobylite.

You are not alone 😉

I bought Chernobylite a while back, I think it was still alfa/beta. I just played it for a little while and mostly forgot about it. The atmosphere and graphics were cool, I need to revisit and try an actual play through.

• Thumb Up 1

I liked all the Metro games, Exodus was fantastic. Chernobylite is one I meant to buy but never did. Maybe on the next sale. I would comment on the current situation but that's probably better left for the Off-Topic section.

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

This a period of play with Elden Ring.

The 9900K is going at about 4.3Ghz during gameplay, not much load. The 3070 thinks it's using 120W 😉

1386490665_Screenshot2022-03-06210739.thumb.png.31a564186c37f463cd2cb972f157b622.png1414080278_Screenshot2022-03-06210937.thumb.png.09ab22848debde77aba205ad99fe69ae.png

Sager NP9877

Hybrid Watercooled setup, D5 pump with dual 140MM fans integrated into custom stand. All controlled via temp outputs from GPU and CPU.

17.3" 1440p 120Hz display + 32" 4k MSI IPS 160Hz display

9900KS @ 4.8Ghz (47x102Mhz) All core, delid with rockit IHS, liquid metal

RTX 3070 @ 180W shunt mod, liquid metal

32GB (16x2 dual rank) 3280Mhz DDR4 CL16

1TB SM961 SSD

2TB SN770 SSD

Dual 330W PSU 

I have AOE IV and AOE 3 DE and im thinking just from a quick glance and a little gameplay that AOE3 looks better and runs better and is the better game, kind of ironic how the successor they made us wait 10 years for is worse....but yeah thats what im playing tonight

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Elex 2 and Dying Light 1.

Still amazed by Dying Light 1. Even after having played through DL2, it still feels great and looks very much "up to date". If I were to play it now for the first time, I honestly couldn't tell that it's a 7 year old game.

I was really hoping Hollow Knight Silksong was actually going to release but it hasn't materialized. I think I read it was initially planned for sometime in 2019 and then "early" 2022 which is rapidly receding. Even then I've read it's maybe going to be a switch exclusive for a while before PC which is the only other platform confirmed. Still on Elden Ring really great so far the world just keeps getting larger every time I think it's coming to an end.

• Thumb Up 1

9 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

I was really hoping Hollow Knight Silksong was actually going to release but it hasn't materialized. I think I read it was initially planned for sometime in 2019 and then "early" 2022 which is rapidly receding. Even then I've read it's maybe going to be a switch exclusive for a while before PC which is the only other platform confirmed.

I'm also greatly looking forward to Silksong; Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of all time.

The "early 2022" window came from an NVIDIA leak which had it pinned for February 2022 (...which would seem to indicate that it is not launching as a Switch exclusive).  NVIDIA has said that the leak was genuine but a bit speculative.  (A number of games from the leak list which seemed a bit "out there" at first have since released.)

In the end, Team Cherry has said nothing regarding the release date other than "We'll release it when its ready".  They probably won't announce anything until it is very nearly done.  As for why it is taking so long, it seems that the "scope" of this game has increased dramatically from what they had originally envisioned, so I'm thinking that the long wait will be worth it in the end.  I'm hoping that maybe we'll hear something around the E3 timeframe (...if E3 even ends up happening this year...).  It would not be surprising to have it be announced during a Nintendo presentation, as they did the only gameplay presentation that I am aware of at Nintendo's E3 2019 show, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that it is a Nintendo exclusive.  (Recent such example from the leak list: Chrono Cross.)

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

7 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I'm also greatly looking forward to Silksong; Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of all time.

The "early 2022" window came from an NVIDIA leak which had it pinned for February 2022 (...which would seem to indicate that it is not launching as a Switch exclusive).  NVIDIA has said that the leak was genuine but a bit speculative.  (A number of games from the leak list which seemed a bit "out there" at first have since released.)

In the end, Team Cherry has said nothing regarding the release date other than "We'll release it when its ready".  They probably won't announce anything until it is very nearly done.  As for why it is taking so long, it seems that the "scope" of this game has increased dramatically from what they had originally envisioned, so I'm thinking that the long wait will be worth it in the end.  I'm hoping that maybe we'll hear something around the E3 timeframe (...if E3 even ends up happening this year...).  It would not be surprising to have it be announced during a Nintendo presentation, as they did the only gameplay presentation that I am aware of at Nintendo's E3 2019 show, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that it is a Nintendo exclusive.  (Recent such example from the leak list: Chrono Cross.)

Hm yeah I just searched it and it said it might be a switch exclusive for a while, makes no sense to do that they'd make a killing on PC from the start. I doubt Nintendo would pay them upfront what it would make on PC during the exclusion time. Still love playing HK even after playing it to death all DLCs etc

Tried FarCry3 yesterday. I generally like games with huge open world, so this one is good so far.

• Bump 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

oh man. far cry 3 is awesome. super good story, and really fun. downside today is graphics, looks a bit dated but thats not super important

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

44 minutes ago, ryan said:

oh man. far cry 3 is awesome. super good story, and really fun. downside today is graphics, looks a bit dated but thats not super important

I like good graphics, but I never really felt the need for "super realistic graphics" in games. For me the gameplay is much more important.

• Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

graphics need too look somewhat good but yeah they are not super important...i'd say farcry 3 is borderline acceptable, it actually looks great maxed, especially the water

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Restarted Witcher 3, lol. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

@Hertzian56I think farcry 2 still has the best attention to detail....feels like im being played ...why would a 10 yearold game have more detail than a new game from like 3 months ago

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 3/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, cucubits said:

Elex 2 and Dying Light 1.

Still amazed by Dying Light 1. Even after having played through DL2, it still feels great and looks very much "up to date". If I were to play it now for the first time, I honestly couldn't tell that it's a 7 year old game.

Quoting myself again 🙂

Just wanted to follow up on my DL1 progress. Can't help comparing it to DL2 when they are so different games. I noticed first hand that just roaming around fighting zombies is much more satisfying in DL1.

As a side note, especially having played it already, I don't mind cheesing it quite a lot this time. I took advantage of a design oversight in DL1 where during the prologue mission when they send you to turn on some traps, you can actually go explore the whole map and time does not advance. It's hilarious that during the prologue I got a bunch of levels up, already found the 500 dmg Korek machette and cleared the big bridge of all zombies... a few times, lol.

I promise I'll start the main story on the next session. Maybe :))

• Thumb Up 2

2 hours ago, cucubits said:

Quoting myself again 🙂

Just wanted to follow up on my DL1 progress. Can't help comparing it to DL2 when they are so different games. I noticed first hand that just roaming around fighting zombies is much more satisfying in DL1.

As a side note, especially having played it already, I don't mind cheesing it quite a lot this time. I took advantage of a design oversight in DL1 where during the prologue mission when they send you to turn on some traps, you can actually go explore the whole map and time does not advance. It's hilarious that during the prologue I got a bunch of levels up, already found the 500 dmg Korek machette and cleared the big bridge of all zombies... a few times, lol.

I promise I'll start the main story on the next session. Maybe :))

Yeah still love playing DL1, looks great, light on resources including storage, still find new stuff here and there. Those nights oof almost only game that still can get me scared.

• Bump 1

17 hours ago, ryan said:

@Hertzian56I think farcry 2 still has the best attention to detail....feels like im being played ...why would a 10 yearold game have more detail than a new game from like 3 months ago

Yeah and that was before the animals on drugs that they have had in 4-5+ I mean every few yards almost there are animals attacking you or others they seemed to just dial up the random npc happenings to just make the world more alive but in fact it just makes it seem like it's all on drugs lol

• Bump 1

9 hours ago, ryan said:

yeah exactly and fc2 is like 10gb installed fc5 much larger. Reminds me of the detail in GTA4 Vs GTA5 comparison, they cut a lot out probably to save costs since most people didn't notice them. I didn't until it was pointed out to me.

• Thumb Up 1

Dusted off Neo Scavenger.  It's a survival game set in post-apocalyptic Michigan.  Survived 3 days and change both times... I have an old game where I was still alive after 9 days and I'm not sure how I did it.  You will die a lot.  But it's kind of fun hunting squirrels, trying to only eat non-poisonous berries and mushrooms, and being paranoid about any humans you encounter.  I thought I died due to accidentally eating a death cap mushroom in my most recent attempt, but it appears sepsis got me instead.  Maybe the mushroom I ate was actually safe.. they were right next to each other in my inventory and looked the same!

After that I fired up Europa Universalis IV.  I'm taking the hordes out for a ride, specifically Chagatai.  I started at their low point in the 1460s, when historically a young, inexperienced Khan was busy losing his khanate.  My goal was to turn things around and become the regional power in the Central Asian steppes (notably eclipsing the Uzbek Horde and Kazakh Horde, and the Timurids), and then grapple with an eastward expanding Russia, hopefully re-applying the Tatar Yoke.  It didn't work out that way though, the princes of Rurik fought among themselves and the Kazan Khanate started re-applying the yoke before I even got in the area.

But I think there will be a good showdown anyway.  I've now established myself as the top horde, controlling much of Central Asia, although working with the Timurids as allies rather than conquering them, and have been borging west.  Meanwhile, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth has taken full advantage of the infighting in the House of Rurik to borg east, taking land up to and including taking Moscow.  Only one province separates our territories at this point.  Resistance has been futile for both empires' enemies; what will happen when they inevitably meet?

The year is 1540, so it's still fairly early.  It's also been interesting in the east; the Ming dynasty has been collapsing early, perhaps in part due to a lengthy war they fought with the Mongols, who eventually agreed to pay tribute but not before stretching the Ming army thin.  I've been a bit paranoid about the Mongols trying their own westward expansion, as they hate our guts, and have allied with the peasant Emperor Li Zicheng of the Shun Dynasty as a counter-weight.  The chaos in China would arguably make it a good time to invade, but I suspect it will last long enough that I can take care of priorities elsewhere first.

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)