NotebookTalk

What game are you playing now?

cucubits

oh nice thanks....I downloaded nes9x its ok....got a couple roms and im happy but im downloading retroarch...should be good..I really hope I can save my progress as I dont have 20 hours straight to beat mario world lol

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

21 minutes ago, ryan said:

oh nice thanks....I downloaded nes9x its ok....got a couple roms and im happy but im downloading retroarch...should be good..I really hope I can save my progress as I dont have 20 hours straight to beat mario world lol

RetroArch has save states built in.  (F2 = save, F4 = load)

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

On 3/22/2022 at 8:53 AM, toastofman said:

Been back playing No Man's Sky.  Played on and off since launch, the launch was an absolute crap-festival of broken promises and missing content.  But it has grown into the world-class game many of us hoped it would, and the latest update spices it up a bit more too.

Of course splitting my time between NMS and ARK.  Love me some ARK.

I wanted to jump in No Man's Sky for a fresh playthrough. It's been quite a few major updates since I last played it so it's about time.

it's good to see more settings available in the menu but I'm having some trouble with the mouse. I like playing low res (full mousepad swipe turns my character only 180 degrees). If I set it this low in NMS, vertical sensitivity gets way too low. Is there any way to set a vertical multiplier or change the parity?

If not in NMS menu/config files, is there some sort of 3rd party option which could do this only when playing one game?

19 hours ago, cucubits said:

I wanted to jump in No Man's Sky for a fresh playthrough. It's been quite a few major updates since I last played it so it's about time.

it's good to see more settings available in the menu but I'm having some trouble with the mouse. I like playing low res (full mousepad swipe turns my character only 180 degrees). If I set it this low in NMS, vertical sensitivity gets way too low. Is there any way to set a vertical multiplier or change the parity?

If not in NMS menu/config files, is there some sort of 3rd party option which could do this only when playing one game?

I wish I could tell you!  I haven't had issues getting my setup to work with NMS so I don't have any good advice.  The NMS reddit is about the only place to ask or look for help with it, because Hello Games doesn't support any kind of self-made community hub or forums.

1 hour ago, toastofman said:

I wish I could tell you!  I haven't had issues getting my setup to work with NMS so I don't have any good advice.  The NMS reddit is about the only place to ask or look for help with it, because Hello Games doesn't support any kind of self-made community hub or forums.

I figured the mouse part out myself last night. I'm using a Glorious Model O- and individual profiles with separate x/y sensitivity can be set. We're good on that front but it still looks like NMS just doesn't like me anymore. Tried to start a new playthrough a few times but it keeps crashing on my every time when I get close to the tutorial ship... will poke at it some more today.

Decided to fire up Far Cry 6 after a long time off from it. Started as expected with a huge update, I think it was 15Gb or so. For some context, it's been so long since I played it, I actually had to look up some of the controls, lol. I kept thinking I was in Dying Light and was watching for zombies and hitting my imaginary survivor sense button 🙂

Anyway, I had a very pleasant surprise of a new and unexpected side story. I got it as soon as I loaded my game and without anything better to do, I decided to just check this one out. Turns out it's a whole another level side quest. It's called the "The Vanishing" and it's completely awesome. Nothing like any other quest so far. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't give any details, just please go check it out.

Also don't ready any news/reviews on it - they pretty much spoil it all.

• Thumb Up 1

COH1 skirmish, although the maps I have installed are getting stale have to dig up my library to keep it fresh. I got this game back in 06 bundled with an 8800 GT which from what I remember was the xfx version with the graphics on it, thing died and they sent me a 9800 gt as a replacement lol That card cost 250$, I'm not getting old I AM old😆

• Haha 1
  • Bump 1

Sea of Thieves, pretty nice game in general, it's one of the few games I can play with my father due to how easy it is to pick up and understand. The only problem I have are the young kids who are very toxic, and seem to lose their cool once they lose a fight or get annoyed, but these players are a minority, and most of the people that I have fought or encountered are super chill and respectful.

It also runs well and looks quite nice, even on my aging 980m 🙂
image.thumb.png.f7c017f846d1acad94bcbc9f2f506763.png

• Like 1

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

Have delved into the major mods for Company of Heroes 1 to freshen it up even more, so far the Blitzkrieg mod is ok, really slows down the action which is not what I want, some of these skirmishes vs bots in the largest maps in vanilla version can take 2+ hours for me which is just too long. It adds a ton to the game though and I like that it installs along side vanilla that I can load into normally. Going to try Europe at War and Eastern Front as well.

• Thumb Up 1

Recently I've been revisiting some old favorite games (some nearly 20 years old).  BG*EE with some fun difficulty mods and D2(R) and before those I was replaying Skyrim (Anniversary) and FO4.  I found it really fun to follow some streamers approaches to these games - that forces me to play very differently (otherwise it's like repeating past playthroughs).

I just installed Titan Quest based on a recommendations for alternative to D2 and so far I like it.  I never tried Path's of Exile and might check that out.  I was also thinking about trying Elden Ring (mainly because Fevvy's recent videos demonstrate OP ER runs instead of OP Skyrim or FO4 runs).

I really liked Cyberpunk 2077.  I liked it too much!  I had to step away after losing a few days to it.

• 2 weeks later...

still making my way through AC:Valhalla. Just continually in awe of the art direction and audio in that game.

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

after so many years im STILL playing Titan Quest, especially now after they've recently published yet ANOTHER expansion, gotta love those guys 😁 ive made my way through normal and epic difficulty, now for the first time ive got access to legendary 🤠

• Thumb Up 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Finally getting around to finishing Doom 2016. I'll either play Ghostwire Tokyo or Turbo Overkill next.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

so many crysis games to play...booted up warhead for an hour and enjoyed myself. old game but it still suprises me how good some things look like the water..I think the witcher 3 is also impressive for a relatively old game and looks great in some or most situations...wish I could get into red dead redemption 2 as I heard it's a great game im just not much of a gamer

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Still just vanilla coh 1 w some of the mod here and there. I haven't really seen too much lately that really grabs me, kinda barren. Was thinking of maybe rebooting up RE2 remake, played it to death but another playthrough sounds appealing for some reason.

On 4/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, Hertzian56 said:

I was going to check this modders stuff out, he has a few really cool things for classic nintendo games.

I wanted to check out this mod and was blown away with how well it was done. I also added a 4K texture pack, and the increase in visual fidelity has been a sight to behold. There is a bit of stutter when loading new levels/areas, but the marked increase in visual fidelity is well worth it.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

14 minutes ago, saturnotaku said:

I wanted to check out this mod and was blown away with how well it was done. I also added a 4K texture pack, and the increase in visual fidelity has been a sight to behold. There is a bit of stutter when loading new levels/areas, but the marked increase in visual fidelity is well worth it.

Huh thanks for the info I kind of forgot about it after grabbing it, always kind of a turnoff dealing with an emulator I haven't loaded up for a while and n64 emu is one of those. I think I use project 64, have to make sure I actually load up the mod.

42 minutes ago, Hertzian56 said:

Huh thanks for the info I kind of forgot about it after grabbing it, always kind of a turnoff dealing with an emulator I haven't loaded up for a while and n64 emu is one of those. I think I use project 64, have to make sure I actually load up the mod.

I used sm64pcbuilder2 to compile the game files from the ROM with SM64Plus as the front end. It is also able to integrate the sm64redrawn 4K texture pack. I also experimented with the ray tracing mod, but it looked like garbage. SM64 is bright and colorful enough to where I don't think would really benefit from the RT treatment they way Doom and Quake 2 have. MSYS2 is a required software component to make this work. You need to disable your antivirus or the installer will hang.

I actually just loaded it up w project64 and after using the hack to get it going in the first video comment it worked fine. I think it's setting one of the config settings ram from 4mb to 8mb, otherwise it crashes. I've played odyssey all the way through on switch it definitely is a good n64 depiction of it, seems like a cool way to play it on a low hardware usage, here and there run through.

9 hours ago, Hertzian56 said:

I actually just loaded it up w project64

So since Super Mario 64 has been fully reverse engineered, there is actually a proper PC release of it now as well (with support for mods and the like), you don't have to run it in an emulator.  You can built it with sm64pcBuilder2, and you do need a copy of the ROM for assets.  (Same thing is going on with Ocarina of Time, and similar work on other games is in progress.)

For N64 emulation in general, look at RetroArch + mupen64plus-next core + paraLLEI RDP graphics engine.  Using RetroArch is nice because it consolidates many emulators into one frontend, so while it does take some "getting used to", at least you will be able to put your know-how to use to run games for many different systems and not just one.  paraLLEI RDP just came into the picture in 2020.  It is actually a low-level implementation of the N64 graphics hardware that runs as GPU shaders, so it is fast enough to run games with the resolution scaled up but provides a highly accurate implementation of the N64 graphics system so you can run pretty much any game without visual bugs.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

5 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

So since Super Mario 64 has been fully reverse engineered, there is actually a proper PC release of it now as well (with support for mods and the like), you don't have to run it in an emulator.  You can built it with sm64pcBuilder2, and you do need a copy of the ROM for assets.  (Same thing is going on with Ocarina of Time, and similar work on other games is in progress.)

For N64 emulation in general, look at RetroArch + mupen64plus-next core + paraLLEI RDP graphics engine.  Using RetroArch is nice because it consolidates many emulators into one frontend, so while it does take some "getting used to", at least you will be able to put your know-how to use to run games for many different systems and not just one.  paraLLEI RDP just came into the picture in 2020.  It is actually a low-level implementation of the N64 graphics hardware that runs as GPU shaders, so it is fast enough to run games with the resolution scaled up but provides a highly accurate implementation of the N64 graphics system so you can run pretty much any game without visual bugs.

yeah I know I have that too, I think it came out a while ago. I saw that about ocarina but the old zeldas don't hugely interest me tbh. The patcher for the odyssey mod, which we were talking about  wouldn't work for the reverse engineered version AFAIK. You need a rom for it to patch the mod into it.  I have a few emulators that I use for various systems that work just fine though.. Mesen is really easy to use for both snes and nes. Project 64 is pretty easy to use and I don't really emulate 64 much anyways so it's not critical to make it more accurate etc